I have quinoa, but not sure what to do with it!

Options
chrisloveslife
chrisloveslife Posts: 180 Member
So I bought some quinoa go make sweet potato burgers. I was the only one who like them, so I'm probably not going to make those any more. Does anyone have some great recipes for my leftover box of quinoa?

Replies

• Basia_and4345
    Basia_and4345 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    So I bought some quinoa go make sweet potato burgers. I was the only one who like them, so I'm probably not going to make those any more. Does anyone have some great recipes for my leftover box of quinoa?

It's a fantastic substitute for rice.
  • JessicaBR13
    JessicaBR13 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    This website has delicious quiona recipes.
    http://www.familyfreshcooking.com/recipes/#.UeWDUuAobzI
  • vegan4lyfe2012
    vegan4lyfe2012 Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    Sauté up half an onion, diced, in a tablespoon of olive oil. Once soft and translucent, add your quinoa and water with some (vegan) chicken bouillon powder and a tsp of dried parsley & basil. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover & cook 12 minutes. Add 1/2 cup of dried cranberries, cover again and continue cooking 2 to 3 minutes. Let rest & fluff. Yummy hot or cold!

I like to make my couscous with onion & dried cranberries, too :)
  • VioletHaz
    VioletHaz Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I cook it with broth instead of water and thought it was excellent with sautéed zucchini and onions. Definitely versatile as a rice substitute.
  • poohpoohpeapod
    poohpoohpeapod Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    not a recipe but a tip from a chef. Roast at 325 until toasty and golden proceed to cook per pkg directions. This is what resteraunts do, deepens the flavor it actually tastes good! Use in place of rice or any grain.
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    Substitute for rice, put it in salads, eat as cereal in the morning instead of oatmeal, etc. The options are really endless... my personal favourite is eating it with some sauteed veggies and spices.
  • KellyMarie528
    Options
    I cook it with broth instead of water and thought it was excellent with sautéed zucchini and onions. Definitely versatile as a rice substitute.

^^ Yup, very good cooked in low sodium broth instead of water!
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    I usually cook it and let it cool to have in salads. Cook it with some stock and herbs or spices to add flavour. Once cold add whatever you fancy - chopped peppers, spring onions, almonds, raisins, celery, beetroot etc etc). If you're having it warm it's nice with things with plenty of juice (curries, chilies, tagines, stews).
  • margelizard
    margelizard Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I found a recipe for a crispy baked quinoa dish here: http://www.theliveinkitchen.com/2012/12/11/crispy-quinoa-bake/

I tried it the other day and it was actually pretty good, though I went with about half the cheese it asked for. It was pretty filling and very veg heavy which was awesome!
  • emlee01
    emlee01 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    If you're feeling adventurous, you might try making quinoa tabouli! This recipe got 5 out of 5 stars on food.com:

http://www.food.com/recipe/quinoa-tabouli-140618
  • zacksnana
    zacksnana Posts: 3,230 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • endureandpersist
    endureandpersist Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Cool it off and use it in a salad instead of rice.
  • MsAnn07
    MsAnn07 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • HeatherBittner
    HeatherBittner Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Bump. Love quinoa!!
  • morielia
    morielia Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Rice substitute in temaki. I cook it in veggie broth. My husband likes it as faux fried rice (peas, carrots, egg, little soy). Occasionally I'll do onion/bacon/orange bell pepper. Mediterranean salad (cold). Baked quinoa casserole (it's cheesy with broccoli).
  • Rotten_Apple
    Rotten_Apple Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    My favorite - had it for lunch today!

http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/black-bean-quinoa-salad-with-basil-lemon-dressing-10000001160577/

I do edamame instead of lima beans and eat it on a bed of spinach leaves, so good!
  • penguinlally
    penguinlally Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    we use it in place of rice - toast it first and use broth instead of water - great hot or cold. Curious about the sweet potato burgers...do you have the recipe?
  • nellyett
    nellyett Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I've used it in a few recipes like stuffed peppers, etc. but the easiest one I do by far is:

- 1/2 cup quinoa (rinsed)

- 1/2 cup steel cut oats

- 1/4 cup organic brown sugar or raw honey

- 3 cups water (you can also use milk, or half milk/water)

- cinnamon

- throw it into a slow cooker on high for a couple of hours and it's done!

It doesn't take very long to cook, even on low so it's not an overnight recipe. I usually put it on in the evening and store it in the fridge. When reheating add a bit of water or milk and it will be nice and creamy.

I've tried different variations with diced apple, adding vanilla at the end, banana, whatever. Now I just make this base and if everyone can add whatever they like after....frozen berries, sunflower seeds, etc. etc.
  • Unknown
    Options
    If you're feeling adventurous, you might try making quinoa tabouli! This recipe got 5 out of 5 stars on food.com:

http://www.food.com/recipe/quinoa-tabouli-140618

I just made a quinoa tabouli...well sort of, I used what I had. I wanted to use up some of the parsley and mint from my garden. Added some edamame for extra protein. It tastes very good.
  • GymRatGirl13
    GymRatGirl13 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Super simple way I make it daily is to cook according to directions, then simply mix with salsa. I add some feta cheese to it sometimes, too. I pack it for a side dish for my chicken at lunch. Eat it cold or hot...both are good.