STOP saying healthy food is more expensive

Options

Replies

• GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    I was going to write something...but then I was reading all the responses and forgot what I was going to post about...except that it was grocery related. Oh wait, I think I remember... Healthy food is more expensive. It is. I went to the grocery store yesterday and a steak was $8. Then I went to the grocery store down the street where all the food is local and super healthy and good for you. A frozen steak was $26. Healthy food is more expensive. I think what you intended to say was that although healthy food is expensive, you can make it work if you really try.

What makes the $26 steak healthier than the $8 steak? Seriously? Taste better, maybe, but healthier? Are you sure?

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/grass-fed-beef/AN02053
  • rachseby
    rachseby Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I was going to write something...but then I was reading all the responses and forgot what I was going to post about...except that it was grocery related. Oh wait, I think I remember... Healthy food is more expensive. It is. I went to the grocery store yesterday and a steak was $8. Then I went to the grocery store down the street where all the food is local and super healthy and good for you. A frozen steak was $26. Healthy food is more expensive. I think what you intended to say was that although healthy food is expensive, you can make it work if you really try.

What makes the $26 steak healthier than the $8 steak? Seriously? Taste better, maybe, but healthier? Are you sure?
    One could be grass fed and one could be corn-product fed and pumped full of antibiotics.
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options

One could be grass fed and one could be corn-product fed and pumped full of antibiotics.

Aldi's got some grassfed beef for $4.49 a pound, so not necessarily.
  • rachseby
    rachseby Posts: 285 Member
    Options

That's pretty good--what cut is it? I don't think we have aldi's here...
  • Jerrypeoples
    Jerrypeoples Posts: 1,541 Member
    Options

For example, I stopped buying new clothes a few months ago to invest in a sweatshop-free closet. At first, it was difficult. Why would I want to pay $10 for a used dress when I could hit up JCP or TJMaxx for a new one on clearance for less than that?? But then I go back to the ultimate goal, which is to know where my money is going. So I pay that $10 for that used dress because the money helps homeless families in my community. And then I limit how much I spend on clothes because sometimes buying used isn't always the cheapest. But it's something I believe in.

On another note, I do like turtles!

i am all to glad to buy my clothes at places i know where a young kids blood, sweat and tears are interwoven into the fabric for $.035 cents per week
  • Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Options

Meh-- watch Aldi meat products-- there is no butcher on site. There is no way to tell how long ago the meat was processed, nor what crap was put into it to keep it looking "fresh."
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

But what if you are hitting your fat grams and getting your Omega 3s from a different food? Why bother spending the extra money? I don't care what label you put on it, I'm not paying $26 for a steak, even if someone else is cooking it and serving it to my fancy table with a glass of red wine. :smokin:

ETA: It just goes to prove my point. "Eating healthy" is what's relative here, not prices.
  • StaticNomad
    Options
    Some thoughts, not only directed to you, but to people with these attitudes in general... why would you have so many kids if you can't afford to feed them proper healthy food? Someone who puts their money into their health is not on a high horse, they are probably someone who has made smart decisions. Like we're suppose to feel sorry for you because you went out and had too many kids?

Life can change your situation in a blink of an eye, honey. My "too many kids" have always been taken care of by me, and no other. But when the $h!t hits the fan and your world gets flipped upside down in a blink of an eye, as it did for me when we lost our home in a natural disaster, you find yourself fighting to stay afloat. I had a nest egg. I had a safety net. I planned. And it was all taken from me. My nest egg suddenly went into replacing every thing I needed to get by in life.

Take a moment... look around your home. Take a 1 minute inventory of the things you use every single day and know that you NEED (not the things you want, or like to have to make life easier, but the things you absolutely need). Now, attach a price to those things. Ignore counting it up for kids, or your partner. Just attach a price times one for yourself. You can find how quickly it adds up. Toothbrush, toothpaste, deodorant, soap, towels, washcloth, underwear, shirts, pants, socks, shoes, hairbrush, shampoo, conditioner, toilet paper, a toilet, a sink, aspirin, food, a fridge, an oven, pots, pans, utensils, plates, cups, bowls, napkins, etc..... it just keeps on adding up. When you turn around and EVERYTHING you had is suddenly just gone, and you now have to take that safety net and use it to replace all of it again for not just yourself, but your "too many kids", and your husband (who helped you to care for and create those "too many kids") - you realize that sometimes you are entirely at the mercy of fate.

You can talk all day long about how to be prepared. But when your ship sinks and your life boat gets a hole in it because it smashed into a rock, and your life vest breaks a belt and falls off of you while you're swimming - you have nothing left but your instincts to fight and survive, and luck if another life saver just happens to come floating by, or a helicopter above comes roaring past you and spots you. This is reality. This means there is no room for ANYONE to lecture ANYONE on their situation, because damned if I don't know better... life happens.

You can say "Probably" all day long until the sky turns green with pink polka dots for all I care. But when you get down to the harsh reality, even the smartest, most prepared, most wealthy, most healthy people get into a jam that is far beyond their own control and have to find a way to get by. If you never face this, then thank God above, because I wouldn't wish it on anyone.

Watch your words. You can't take them back when they are said, and whether you seem to care or not, the negativity, anger, and hatred you spew forth can truly impact someone who is already on unstable grounds and fighting to be the best they can be. Perhaps you have no care for if you are the one who pushes them over the edge to giving up, not trying anymore, or not caring anymore - but I do care. We're all here for the obvious reason to get to a better part of ourselves and be healthy. We all have a different way of achieving it. We all have a different plot to play out, but the story is all the same for each of us. So when you go to cutting down parents who dearly love and care for their kids, and do THEIR BEST to provide, take a step back from that fine line you insist on walking and realize - you have your own set of shoes to walk in, and you haven't the slightest clue what it feels like in someone else's shoes until you try them on for size - and waking in ONE pair of shoes that differs from your own doesn't make you an expert at all the varieties that are out there. Got it?

Now... as for me? Despite me having "too many kids", I will continue to love them, nurture them, care for them, and feed them the best foods I CAN AFFORD with MY OWN MONEY that I WORK FOR. And you? You can take the easy job of sitting over there in your chair, in front of your computer, and judging me and anyone else who you feel like judging. But me? I'm going to take the higher road and keep encouraging folks who have a better attitude and understand that we aren't all folks from little boxes on the hill side, who all come out just the same. Recognize that song?
  • GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options

But what if you are hitting your fat grams and getting your Omega 3s from a different food? Why bother spending the extra money? I don't care what label you put on it, I'm not paying $26 for a steak, even if someone else is cooking it and serving it to my fancy table with a glass of red wine. :smokin:

ETA: It just goes to prove my point. "Eating healthy" is what's relative here, not prices.

I do get omega 3s from wild salmon - $21.99 a pound. Which is certainly cheaper. but
    Different things are worth different amounts to different folks...
  • DivaJadelyn
    DivaJadelyn Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    In my first response, I forgot to mention that with 'buying healthy' I had the lifestyle change of not eating out. So, in the food department I save more money by not eating out. So in that regard it is also cheaper... once again though, I have the budget and the location to eat healthy, cheaply at home. Not everyone has that.
  • ursula130
    ursula130 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with you. I keep having the same discussions. When I was really broke (back in school), I kept buying those dollar bags at the store, those mixed veggies that are not "perfect" any more. 1$/bag, makes soup for a week. (plus some broth and maybe pasta or rice, that's less than 5$ for 5 meals. (yes, you get creative when you are broke)

no excuses.

PS: realized it doesn't show that I responded to the very first post.
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options

Meh-- watch Aldi meat products-- there is no butcher on site. There is no way to tell how long ago the meat was processed, nor what crap was put into it to keep it looking "fresh."

There aren't any butchers present at the co-op where I pick up my meat, either. I guess they put crap into it.

Also, it's frozen, so I don't care how long ago it was butchered.
  • StaticNomad
    Options
    she's not married, no kids... of course it's easy now!!! geesh!!!

Doesn't matter. Her main point is that healthy food is cheaper. You just have to shop smart and make time to prep meals. Clearly, if people have enough time to post on these boards, they have enough time to prep for meals regardless of their marital status.

Another youngin'... calling the kettle black when they too join us here with two cents to toss into the fountain of opinions, and assuming each person here doesn't plan meals, etc.. lol! Isn't she cute?

Come back to me in 10 years sweetie. I remember 24.... I was just as ignorant as you. Trust me though, something big will happen and it will change you though, and suddenly you'll want to go back and slap yourself ten years ago. :)
  • supremelady
    supremelady Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    How about we encourage folks to MOVE more. even Coca cola is promoting eating less and move more. What i notice on this board is that everyone thinks their way is the right way. There are healthy people who are not growing their own fruits, killing their own animals, shopping at whole foods, etc.

If you (not everybody) are on this board to lose weight chances are that at some point you made bad food choices and you probably were not that active.

So because you can do it on $30 or less doesn't mean that it works for everybody else. Each person has to do what works for themselves and or family!

Food is to be enjoyed and reading some of ya'll post i'll say it again some of the stuff you are eating is not appetizing and it doesn't sound good at all.
  • ursula130
    ursula130 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    A punnet of raspberries, 500g pot of greek yoghurt, piece of cheese (about 150g), pot of hummus, small bag of roasted almonds, bag of six small apples and a 100g bar of dark chocolate for snacks at work just cost me £13.51...(that's about US$20) - there's no way the OP's weekly budget would cut the mustard for a single person in London, let alone a couple. A comparable number of calories in junk food would have been a lot cheaper (about £7 or £8 at most).

Healthy food IS more expensive, especially in city locations where there are no accessible buy-in-bulk shops, and most people don't have the spare living space to accommodate bulk purchases anyway!
    watch me.
    Rasberries: are they on sale? in season? if neither, don't buy it. buy fruits that are on sale and cheaper per gramm.
    greek yoghurt: buy store brand. or don't. buy regular yogurt. buy from the "priced to go" shelf
    cheese: same as yogurt. also, buy bricks, standard cheese and cut thinly. will last weeks.
    pot of hummus: hahahahaha. are you serious? buy dried chickpeas, tahini and garlic. make at home. costs less.
    roasted nuts: buy bulk
    apples: buy cheapest kind, buy local, sometimes market is cheaper. also loose may to be cheaper.
    dark chocolate: i don't negotiate on chocolate. but again, buy cheapest brand.

I am not devaluing your experience. But that's my experience. you can cut down and still eat healthy. I know London is super expensive, heck I am in York and am shocked by my bill.
  • StaticNomad
    Options
    shashi1 posted:

Exactly how much it costs my family of four. Glad I'm not the only one. lol

1) How old are the people in your home that you are feeding on this $30 a week.

2) Please post the meal plan in detail for us, for that week's worth of meals and include breakfast, lunch, and dinner.

3) Are you using coupons, clearances, and/or sales?

4) Please post if items in your meal plan are store brand, on brand, organic, or chemical laced.

5) Is this including welfare, and if so, is it before or after you use it?

6) Please post where you are shopping at and the city/state/country you are shopping in.

7) Please post the calories you are eating per day (just you, not your family).

8) Please post the serving sizes of each meal for each person, including yourself.

When I see these things, and they add up to what you proclaim, I will officially offer you praise, and inquire to you for more information on how to achieve this. :) I look forward to your reply!
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    A punnet of raspberries, 500g pot of greek yoghurt, piece of cheese (about 150g), pot of hummus, small bag of roasted almonds, bag of six small apples and a 100g bar of dark chocolate for snacks at work just cost me £13.51...(that's about US$20) - there's no way the OP's weekly budget would cut the mustard for a single person in London, let alone a couple. A comparable number of calories in junk food would have been a lot cheaper (about £7 or £8 at most).

Healthy food IS more expensive, especially in city locations where there are no accessible buy-in-bulk shops, and most people don't have the spare living space to accommodate bulk purchases anyway!
    watch me.
    Rasberries: are they on sale? in season? if neither, don't buy it. buy fruits that are on sale and cheaper per gramm.
    greek yoghurt: buy store brand. or don't. buy regular yogurt. buy from the "priced to go" shelf
    cheese: same as yogurt. also, buy bricks, standard cheese and cut thinly. will last weeks.
    pot of hummus: hahahahaha. are you serious? buy dried chickpeas, tahini and garlic. make at home. costs less.
    roasted nuts: buy bulk
    apples: buy cheapest kind, buy local, sometimes market is cheaper. also loose may to be cheaper.
    dark chocolate: i don't negotiate on chocolate. but again, buy cheapest brand.

I am not devaluing your experience. But that's my experience. you can cut down and still eat healthy. I know London is super expensive, heck I am in York and am shocked by my bill.

Oh oh, do me!

I spent $6 on 3 grapefruits. This was the sale price
    I spent $6 on strawberries. Not the sale price, but the grapefruit was the only fruit on sale so.
    Spent $2 on frozen broccoli (sale!)
    Spent $1.69 on a head of lettuce (sale! Also I use 2 heads weekly, so I don't have the option to wait for a sale week even when it's at it's usual $2 a head)
    Bag of Spinach $4 (2 for 8 this week, lucky me)
    ======
    $22, just on produce. I still need meat, dairy, and starches to get through the week.
  • beachbriel
    beachbriel Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    In my first response, I forgot to mention that with 'buying healthy' I had the lifestyle change of not eating out. So, in the food department I save more money by not eating out. So in that regard it is also cheaper... once again though, I have the budget and the location to eat healthy, cheaply at home. Not everyone has that.

Good point! We have saved a ton by not eating out, and we have been eating better by making our own food. Therefore, even though I could personally feed my 8 person family cheaper with crappy, junk food, I can afford healthy, delicious food by living smarter.

Regardless of our eternal debate about the price comparison of healthy vs unhealthy foods, the non-monetary benefits of eating healthy are priceless. Perhaps this is something we can all agree upon.
  • wannabhealthy50
    wannabhealthy50 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Thank you for writing this! Excellent!
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    Just got back from the grocery store. Had to buy a few things we were out of. Not counting the batteries or the dog treats I bought my bill was $82.00. All I bought was:

Lunch meat: 1 lb ham; 1 lb roast beef
    Deli cheese: 1 lb
    Chicken thighs
    Pork chops - BOGO
    A small container of olives
    3 stuffed grape leaves
    Egg whites
    Cottage cheese
    Yogurt - BIG container
    Feta cheese
    Two bottles of lemonade (for mixers) ON SALE
    Grapes
    6 one liter bottles of seltzer ON SALE

And this was WITH my discount card. Had it been a trip where I had to buy produce, other meats, fish, eggs, milk etc. it would have been close to $200.

Unless OP is shopping at a warehouse type store -- which I occasionally do and I can get a lot of produce for very little money but you have to pick through it to find the good stuff -- I don't see how someone shopping at a "normal" grocery store can feed a family healthy for $50