Cleaning residue on rubber dumbbells and rubber mat

Options
The weights and mat I bought has a slight film on them that is a bit slippery. Tried washing with dawn and hot water. Some still remains. Anyone else notice this and know how to clean them?

Both are natutal rubber no odor so not sure why this is happening?

Thanks

Replies

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    It might be a silicone lubricant, which keeps things from sticking in the factory. A few things to try - rubbing alcohol.. vinegar.. nail polish remover.. Formula 409. Wear gloves. :+1:
  • powered85
    powered85 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Good point! Wondering if cleaning vinegar might work? Or simple green?

Was surprised several washes of dawn and hot water didn't take it off!
  • lynnbaum
    lynnbaum Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    rubbing alcohol.. vinegar.. nail polish remover, I would try the vinegar but I think some mats have a anti-fungal that you want to keep. I would never use rubbing alcohol or nail polish remover You will open the pores in the mat.
  • powered85
    Options
    lynnbaum wrote: »
    rubbing alcohol.. vinegar.. nail polish remover, I would try the vinegar but I think some mats have a anti-fungal that you want to keep. I would never use rubbing alcohol or nail polish remover You will open the pores in the mat.

You think cleaning vinegar and water would work better than dawn? What about simple green? Believe it's a degreaser?
  • Lizarking
    Lizarking Posts: 507 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    You need a mild general degreaser. VERY diluted purple power or as you say, skimple green, will do it.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Try vinegar or simple green since that's what you want to try. If that doesn't work, then try some of the other suggestions.
  • powered85
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions will give that a shot
  • powered85
    Options
    Update - used simple green on the dumbbells and did a great job removing any silicone/oil residue. Going to do this with the mat and hope to see similar results.