Protein allowance controlling everything.

Hi, I'm new to this. I'm on 1200 calories per day. I'm struggling with my protein - I'm always going over. My calories are the opposite, usually sitting around 950/1000. When I try to eat more the protein goes up. Help please

Replies

• Treece68
    Treece68 Posts: 780 Member
    Just focus on meeting your calorie goals and macros later. What is extra protein gonna do ... nothing
  • Cbestinme
    Cbestinme Posts: 397 Member
    Do you have a medical reason to restrict your protein. In another thread I got a really good recommendation to eat about 0.6grams of protein for each pound of goal weight. Are you near 0.6grams of protein per pound of your goal weight? Are you going over on a percentage or on grams. I'm not at all familiar with percentages. Whichever case take anything I share with a grain of salt, it may not apply to your case. Welcome and good luck on your journey!
  • Lizarking
    Lizarking Posts: 507 Member
    edited October 2016
    TBH, you should get as much protein as you can without going over on TOTAL calories. This gets even more important when you are eating with such a dramatic deficit.

Try setting your goals as:

35% protein
    25% fat
    40% carbohydrate

If you prefer low carb:

35% protein
    45% fat
    20% carb

^ Above are super generic guidelines.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    edited October 2016
    And, in addition to what Paula and Muscelflex said, protein helps maintain muscle mass while eating at a deficit. Up those calories, though.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,423 Member
    lou_8986 wrote: »
    Hi, I'm new to this. I'm on 1200 calories per day. I'm struggling with my protein - I'm always going over. My calories are the opposite, usually sitting around 950/1000. When I try to eat more the protein goes up. Help please

Meet your calorie goal and don't worry about going over protein.
    What are your protein sources and general diet like though?
    To increase your calories you can make small changes. Eat full fat dairy products. Eat less lean proteins. Eat nuts or nut butters. Eat some things like bread, rice, potatoes, bananas, dried fruit.
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10142490/a-list-of-calorie-dense-foods/p1
    My goal is also 1200. It isn't difficult to eat 1200 calories.
  • nosebag1212
    nosebag1212 Posts: 621 Member
    The protein settings are minimums, not maximums, it doesn't matter if you go over as long as you're in a caloric deficit.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited October 2016
    You actually need more protein while in a calorie deficit, the MFP goal in a min, and if you exercise, getting more protein while a calorie deficit is a must. Protein helps you min the effects of muscle loss while in a calorie deficit..

So yes to more protein unless you have a medical reason to limit protein..

eta: it should be a good practice to ALWAYS meet your calorie goals, never go below them..
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    There is no such thing as a protein maximum so I'm not sure what you mean. There is a protein minimum, the least that you should eat...are you mistaking the minimum for the maximum?
  • cbkeel
    cbkeel Posts: 3 Member
    Chances are slim to none that you're eating an unhealthily high amount of protein, especially at 1200 calories. Don't worry about it. You could fill in your remaining calories with whatever you're lacking more, fats or carbs, but don't stress about too much protein unless you have a medical condition where you need to keep protein low.

Yes, for example if you have chronic kidney problems and your doc puts you on a renal diet, then you'd need low protein.
  • Chadxx
    Chadxx Posts: 1,199 Member
    I will second what everyone else has already said and add that if excess protein was a problem, I would have been done for years ago. For years, my idea of a vegetable was chicken.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 18,063 Member
    The protein is a minimum, not a maximum. Frankly, what counts if the calories. If you're restricting calories to meet macro numbers, you're shorting yourself.

it doesn't sound from your post like you have been told to eat a low protein diet, just that you're struggling with MFPs pre-set macro goals. They're just an automatic calculation. Feel free to ignore them or change them.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    It is ok to go over on Fat and Protein.
    Carbs can go over or under-- they are less critical unless you have highly specific goals.
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Personally, I would rather be over on protein than under. You can adjust your macros to reflect higher protein and fat goals and lower carb intake goals, if you prefer to eat a lower carb diet. I eat about 1000 calories a day and keep a steady watch on my protein, lest I not meet my goal. Sounds to me like you don't have that problem :)
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    cbkeel wrote: »
    Chances are slim to none that you're eating an unhealthily high amount of protein, especially at 1200 calories. Don't worry about it. You could fill in your remaining calories with whatever you're lacking more, fats or carbs, but don't stress about too much protein unless you have a medical condition where you need to keep protein low.

Yes, for example if you have chronic kidney problems and your doc puts you on a renal diet, then you'd need low protein.

Yes.... :expressionless: