Have you taken your body weight scale or food scale with you when traveling?

Options

Replies

• jrwms714
    jrwms714 Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Don't take either but then I now eyeball portions fairly easily and accurately. We stay in a rental 6 weeks every winter. They have a scale I use in the bathroom. I just take what it tells me when I arrive and use that for a base until I go home. That way I can tell if any overall gain.
  • Granada88
    Granada88 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I don't think that's silly at all. I believe that's a workable idea. I'll probably do that the next time I find myself on the road. Cheers!
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    I don't. When visiting family, someone usually has a body scale. I never travel with a food scale. Even when losing, taking a vacation did not make me gain. I still logged, but just with estates or used restaurant entries from places we went. I tried to over estimate the food anyway.
  • divcara
    divcara Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I bring my food scale with me and measuring cups. I don't bring a regular scale with me. I will typically make things like eggs and oatmeal for breakfast myself if possible, then just make good choices when I eat out, without weighing or measuring anything. I don't need to weight myself when I travel.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    If I knew I'd eat at their house every day for 10 days (and they won't judge me for weighing food), yeah, I'd probably bring it. The only family I visit for a week tends to eat out all the time though so it's just not really worth it.

That being said, at this point, I'd be comfortable eyeballing for that time too.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    I never have. I try to make the best choices, have a treat or two, and get out walking around more. It has always worked well for me.
  • HealthyBodySickMind
    HealthyBodySickMind Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I have, body weight scale anyway.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Never take my body scale any where..

Food scale on vacation? Absolutely not. If I were to go back to traveling for work and I am away from home all week, probably use the food scale in the hotel with my groceries, never in restaurants..

If I were visiting grandmas, grandma would never understand why I needed to weigh her food. If I am visiting my sister, she does not care one way or the other..

Now my mother and father (they live an hour a way) would freak out.. they do not even know I count calories. they would freak over that too.
  • runningforthetrain
    runningforthetrain Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    take the scale- you will have more fun and worry less...
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Nope...a little over the time for me.
  • neohdiver
    neohdiver Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    But soon I'll be going out of town (visiting family, not a true vacation) for about 10 or 12 days, and I feel like I'd like to at least have my body weight scale with me.

Unless you're using your body-weight scale to change your eating habits over that short a period I wouldn't. (My grandmother had a target weight range - when she went out of that range she cut back on what she was eating.)

I do bring my food scales along anytime I will be preparing meals. When I expect to be eating out, I take pictures and use them to make my best estimate.

• MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    I might if I was traveling to family, but I'd get some eyebrows if I weighed at a restaurant.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    No. I eyeball food portions and forget about weigh ins til my return.
  • ChelzFit
    ChelzFit Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Nope, I feel like I have been maintaining for years so I know my portions. We usually don't travel very long (overnights) unless we are on vacation and I like to just enjoy food on vacation and not worry about calories.
  • jennypapage
    jennypapage Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    when i visited my family, i bought a new scale,took it with me,and left it at their house for the next time i need it.when i was on vacation, i didn't because it was impossible to log.i just did a mental calculation then.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Options
    We rented a house with full kitchen for the family summer vacation. My youngest daughter saw me using measuring cups (seldom use at home, I weigh even liquids) and she asked if I missed my scale. I laughed because I had not even thought about it but I DID miss my scale, since she mentioned it.

So no, I don't travel with those things, but there is one exception. If I'm going to be cooking for a crowd at our lake cabana (1hr drive away), I do take the food scale because I don't know how I would scale up my regular dishes without thinking of it in terms of weights. My brother's family stayed with us the week of Thanksgiving, so I cooked many meals for 8 or 10 (vs. our usual 5). He and DH were giving me grief about weighing the dry pasta one night. (NOTE: neither of them cook for 10.) They insisted I was making too little, so I cooked 3 extra portions. Guess what? Lots left over.
  • CaladriaNapea
    CaladriaNapea Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I've been thinking about this issue since I'm going to be spending a month away from home over Christmas time (two weeks with the in-laws, two weeks with my family). I'm bringing my bathroom scale to both places, since I know neither family has one that functions and weighing in daily really serves as a huge motivator for me. and over a month your weight can change a lot--I lost twelve pounds last month, I really do not want to undo that change. I am bringing my food scale to my family's house, since I know they won't be offended, but I'm pretty sure it would raise a lot of eyebrows at my in-laws, so I am going to try to eyeball portion control. I am going to try to use the No S Diet, which I recently discovered, in order to try to keep that calorie count down. This is especially difficult because my mother-in-law is a born-and-bred farm cook. She cooks food that is absolutely divine and definitely designed for people who are milking cows or baling hay all day.
  • ShammersPink
    ShammersPink Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    No.

My mum has both - measuring food by weight is the norm for recipes in the UK - so online recipes from the US in cups etc drive me crazy, whether or not I'm dieting! We cook the cakes for family birthdays at mum's house.

I'll be away at my partner's family for Christmas. I'm sure they have a food scale, but not a digital one like mum and me. I doubt I'll use it for much - maybe for cereal, since they have different cereal to what I have at home, and estimation of an unfamiliar cereal can be hard, It's one meal of the day where I can easily control my own portion without impacting on others.
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    no
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    Shana67 wrote: »
    I haven't, but this morning after weighing myself, I am thinking about it. It just adds weight to the baggage, dang it. However, bringing my food scale along is a great idea! We will visit the IL in December and my MIL is a *fantastic* cook - I think it will be worth it :)

Be careful not to offend the MIL, weighing everything she offers you. I'd rather cautiously restrain the portion sizes I put on my plate, if the environment is one where you get to spoon it out yourself. (I've been in family situations in the past where the plate comes with everything on it already.)