Have you taken your body weight scale or food scale with you when traveling?

Options
Hi--I'm just curious how many people here have done this (or would)? I have been losing weight for 3 months, and I've skipped weighing in for two days at a time here and there. But soon I'll be going out of town (visiting family, not a true vacation) for about 10 or 12 days, and I feel like I'd like to at least have my body weight scale with me. We're traveling by car so it's not really that cumbersome to bring along. Or does that sound silly?

Replies

• saphin
    saphin Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I always take my food scale with me as I want to keep my nutrition on track. If I do this, the bathroom scale is unnecessary. You have the data from three months logging so trust the process and continue to be diligent and you'll be fine
  • Nachise
    Nachise Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I take my food scale with me, or if it is just one or two days, I prepackage my breakfast. When I go to visit family, my scale goes with me.
  • ArchyRunner
    ArchyRunner Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I have a very small travel-sized scale that I bring with me. I also make a huge effort to bring as many of my snacks and meals pre-packaged (i.e. portioned/weighed out) as I can.
  • lightenup2016
    lightenup2016 Posts: 1,055 Member
    Options
    OP here--thanks for the responses! I am going to my mom's to visit. I think for me, I can fairly easily estimate portions and be okay (did that for two months losing weight before I bought a food scale), but it's the bathroom scale I think I would miss more. I feel like it keeps me in check. I'll probably wind up taking both since they'll pack easily. I have gone for two days without either, but 12 days...I don't know! OTOH, my mom does have a bathroom scale, it's just not a great one.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I travel for work 12 days at a time and I haven't brought either scale with me. Of course, the difference is that I'm flying so that would take up a lot of my weight allowance. I'd worry less about the bathroom scale than the kitchen scale to be honest. 12 days isn't really that long and it might be good practice to see if you can stay on track without a way to "check up" on yourself for nearly two weeks.
  • Cbestinme
    Cbestinme Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Great question I also wondered about this
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    I take my food scale.
  • elizabethduncanheydary15
    Options
    I have never taken my food scale, but my whole family has nice digital scales so I just use their bathroom scales. I generally only travel during holidays for a few days though. Last time I traveled for a week was a beach trip and I had bad morning sickness at the time so I lost weight that week anyway. I also weighed myself at the gym on my honeymoon. Weighing myself daily always helps me feel more consistent and at least I'm never surprised by rapid weight gain.
  • Rinde99
    Rinde99 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    When I evacuated from my home in SC to Charlotte, NC due to Hurricane Matthew I took my bathroom scale with me. Have various weigh-ins with different MFP groups so I wanted it with me.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    Options
    I have not done that, but I have taken pre-measured and weighed foods with me on trips. I've been weighing stuff for so many years now that I can guess pretty well. I went to pick tomatoes last summer and was able to tell the farmer how much each bucket that I picked weighed before even putting them on the scale. I was correct. Cue shocked farmer. :)

If it isn't an inconvenience, I don't see any reason not to take your own scales with you.
  • bethannien
    bethannien Posts: 556 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I only weigh once a week anyway so I wouldn't bring my body scale, personally. Daily fluctuations are too stressful for me to focus on. My food scale, on the other hand, especially if I was just going to spend time with family, I would 100% bring that.
  • Shana67
    Shana67 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I've not done it yet, but taking my food scale is a GREAT idea! We are going to my IL in December for FIL 70th birthday party.... and my MIL absolutely *rocks* as a cook. Soooo, I think the ol' food scale will be riding along to Ohio :)
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,767 Member
    Options
    I've taken my food scale with me, but never my weight scale, it's too heavy.
  • Neanbean13
    Neanbean13 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Depends if you have an immediate weight loss goal. If not use it as experiment to see how you ho and what youve learnt n try to apply when u at mums. Remember it IS a holiday too and u cant do that much damage in 10 days. As long as u have some self control...use it as a mental break.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Traveling for work?.. no... traveling on vacation?.. def no.. my husband would kill me if I did not take a complete vacation from it all.. and he's right.

The body weight scale, is just a tool.. so it has no bearing on anything really.