Chicken Breast/ High Sodium

Options
2»

Replies

• RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I thought chicken was super healthy and low in all that kind of junk (fat, carbs, sodium, etc).

Is this right???

Also, does it matter if you go over your fat or sodium if you are saying within your calories? Will you still lose?

Its called flavor. I might be disappointed if it did not contain sodium, also the carbs are something to give that honey roasted, or other flavors etc.. also it might not last long from a preservation standpoint once I bring it home to eat on for a week.

eta: you can look for luncheon meats that are "packed in water" that has a lot less also there are brands of ham, turkey, chicken, roast beef that use about 33% - 40% less sodium when packaged, just have to look for it. Walmart's brand Prima Della has a lower sodium version, also I think Sara Lee has lower sodium too (at the deli counter)..
  • PamWOhio
    PamWOhio Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Private Selection at Kroger also has a line of low sodium lunch meats. I don't bother though since I am doing low carb right now and more salt in the diet is needed for that apparently.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    For everyone's reference, even non luncheon meat items such as chicken breasts or fish get brined (especially when frozen to protect the quality of course not because it ads extra weight wink wink).

Read all labels and even then assume half are lying.

Good reminder. I try to look for the little blurb on the label about the solution that the chicken is frozen in. I never thought to look at fish labels.