DOMS

Options
I have just started weightlifting, and had a few questions. Specifically, yesterday I do a workout that focused on arms and upper torso (chest and lats), yet today my muscles are feeling it in the legs and lower back especially. That was my first workout in several months, but I was just wondering if this happens to you? Should I read this as a sign of poor form, or just engaged muscles?

Replies

• sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    Your muscles have been worked in a way that they haven't been worked in months.

It is entirely normal. I am not eliminating bad form entirely, as I didn't see you do the exercise, but DOMS is normal after taking some time off.

Eat enough food, do some gentle stretching, drink some water, and continue to exercise, even if it's gentle. Working out will help the soreness.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    It's just your body's way of letting you know it's been a while!

A bit of fatigue/ache is perfectly normal. If it's acute pain that's a different thing.
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    Depending on what I do, I can often feel even "upper body" exercises in my core and legs. You'd most likely be bracing your legs and core, using those muscles for balance and if it's been a while then you're going to feel it. I'm feeling my core this evening after this morning's lifting session and I didn't do any core specific work.
  • colors_fade
    colors_fade Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    This is why it's a good idea to go light at first. Take the first week back and lift lighter weights. If you start from where you stopped last time, you're going to hurt, and that's only going to slow things down.
  • singletrackmtbr
    singletrackmtbr Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    DOMS happen, but I wouldn't consider the lower back to be a typical spot for them. Be very careful here. As you get more experienced you will be able to distinguish good pain from bad, but as someone new to weightlifting I would strongly recommend you get your form checked on your exercises before assuming pain in your lower back is DOMS.