Do I eat back calories?

Options
2»

Replies

• VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    :'(:s 9-9-1

No biggie. Pick a method and stick to it. Job done.
  • bfanny
    bfanny Posts: 440 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    bfanny wrote: »
    So what fitbit gives you at the end of the day is TDEE? Eating 500 less than that a day would result in 1 lbs loss a week?
    (Of course assuming that your tracking is accurate ;)
    Confusing cause MFP gives a # and fitbit another...

If you have the devices synced then the easiest thing is to set you activity to sedentary and eat the adjustment given (being mindful to use real world results to determine Fitbit accuracy and adjust as necessary, some find it spot on, others not so much).

Thank you!!!
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    Am I correct if you set your diary as active, then you shouldn't eat back any cals from exercise because it is already included???

No because in MFP no matter what your activity level is, it excludes exercise. You might set yourself as active if you're a construction worker or something, where you're active outside of deliberate exercise like going for an evening run. Then you would still treat that run as exercise above and beyond your activity level.
  • kpressnell2017
    kpressnell2017 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Am I correct if you set your diary as active, then you shouldn't eat back any cals from exercise because it is already included???

No because in MFP no matter what your activity level is, it excludes exercise. You might set yourself as active if you're a construction worker or something, where you're active outside of deliberate exercise like going for an evening run. Then you would still treat that run as exercise above and beyond your activity level.

So I set my MFP at somewhat active being a SAHM. My exercise needs to be entered or synced?

1650 GOAL
    1760 consumed + 1032 exercise = 728 remaining

I consume part of that remaining or leave it ?

Sorry just making sure I'm understanding...
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I'm set at 1950. Burned around 950-1000 during gym time this am with my HR monitor. Should I eat those back?

5ft9
    26yr

Losing weight

MFP + exercise, choose a percentage to eat back, trend rate of loss over 4-6 weeks.. This will be where you assess your exercise calories along side with your calories you consume and trend your weight.. If you lose to fast, eat more, if you lose to slow, eat less, etc..

Are you sure on the calorie burn? Seems high.. anyway read the link, hopefully it will help some.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/818082/exercise-calories-again-wtf/p1
  • lightenup2016
    lightenup2016 Posts: 1,055 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I recently switched to the MFP NEAT method, but I don't have any device or app synced to it. I take my exercise calories that Runkeeper or my exercise machine tells me I did, and manually enter half of that number (sometimes a little more) into MFP. You can either make up your own exercise to add, or pull up the ones in the MFP database and just enter in your own number of calories. This might be cumbersome for some, but it works for me.

ETA: If you do as above, then yes, the calories leftover are ones you still have to consume.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options

So I set my MFP at somewhat active being a SAHM. My exercise needs to be entered or synced?

1650 GOAL

Does you activity level include exercise? If not, you would "eat back" those calories...that's how you account for that activity. If your somewhat active activity level includes exercise, you would not...because it's already accounted for in your targets.

Also, how are you coming up with that calorie burn? That's well over being somewhat active...and pretty tough to do unless you're spending a good chunk of time training...like basically I'd have to go for a 30-35 mile ride.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    All of this confusion is why I set my activity level at sedimentary. I do have a desk job but even if I didn't I'd still set it at sedimentary and let MFP add calories back for steps taken (which it does with my phone as a step counter). Then I add in exercise through my apps which also use a HR monitor. I then eat back 80% of those calories and leave 20% at the end of the day just for good measure. Worked great for me. I can even eat back up to 90% with no weight gain but I try to never eat back 100% unless I start to notice weight drops (I am now in maintenance) then I will eat back 100% for a month or two and see where I am after that. It's all about making slow adjustments. Never make an adjustment based on a single week's or day's gain/loss. Always base adjustments on several week's average losses/gains.

• Spliner1969
    Options
    I'm set at 1950. Burned around 950-1000 during gym time this am with my HR monitor. Should I eat those back?

5ft9
    26yr

Losing weight

According to IIFYM.com using their TDEE calculator, setting it on sedimentary with no entered exercise at all, your TDEE is 2376. So that means before you did any exercise you could eat 2376 calories and maintain your weight. If you wanted to be at a 25% deficit, you would eat 1782 per day, which is a almost a 600 calorie a day deficit.

Since 3500 calories is generally recognized as a pound of fat, if you want to lose 1 lb per week you need a 500 calorie a day deficit for that week, so you would eat 2376 - 500 = 1876. Then, lets say you did 1200 calories of exercise but only trusted that 80% of that was accurate. 1200 * .80 = 960 calories. So you could add back in 960 calories leaving 240 of the 1200 at the end of the day (or not, completely up to you). So all in all you'd have 1876 + 960 = 2836 you could eat that day.

It's the activity levels that muck things up, otherwise it's pretty simple math. Play around with the calculators at iifym.com and you'll see what I mean. Try them with and without adding exercise. Compare that to other calculators and MFP and see what you get, then adjust MFP to what you feel is best. Keep it that way for at least a month, then adjust as needed. Worked great for me over the years.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options

1650 GOAL

I missed the part about do you enter exercise or sync it? I presume you have a separate device like a fitbit or app you are using for your exercise tracker? If yes, you will want to sync that to MFP..

I need to go back to your other thread and see the details on which method you decided to do, since you asked about exercise I assumed that you used MFP + exercise and not TDEE?

I see from the numbers you posted, using MFP NEAT + exercise.. What activity level did you set MFP to? From the other thread you know your approx TDEE, so to be within the 20% off that number you should consider NETTING close to 2200, so I would eat half. You will want to trend the amount of exercise you do and eat back over 4-6 weeks, and if you are losing slower, eat less back and if losing faster, eat more back..

how are you calculating calories burns for exercise? Just want to make sure they are not super inflated and make a wrong choice in eating back to many off the bat as you get used this..
  • VintageFeline
    Options
    All of this confusion is why I set my activity level at sedimentary. I do have a desk job but even if I didn't I'd still set it at sedimentary and let MFP add calories back for steps taken (which it does with my phone as a step counter). Then I add in exercise through my apps which also use a HR monitor. I then eat back 80% of those calories and leave 20% at the end of the day just for good measure. Worked great for me. I can even eat back up to 90% with no weight gain but I try to never eat back 100% unless I start to notice weight drops (I am now in maintenance) then I will eat back 100% for a month or two and see where I am after that. It's all about making slow adjustments. Never make an adjustment based on a single week's or day's gain/loss. Always base adjustments on several week's average losses/gains.

Sorry but *sedentary. Sediment is something else entirely!
  • kpressnell2017
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

1650 GOAL

Does you activity level include exercise? If not, you would "eat back" those calories...that's how you account for that activity. If your somewhat active activity level includes exercise, you would not...because it's already accounted for in your targets.

Also, how are you coming up with that calorie burn? That's well over being somewhat active...and pretty tough to do unless you're spending a good chunk of time training...like basically I'd have to go for a 30-35 mile ride.

I have my garmin. It tracks heart rate and I workout in the AM for about 60-75min. Mostly I lift, but I do plyo and run/jog also. Heart rate stays at 155-160
  • VintageFeline
    Options

1650 GOAL

I have my garmin. It tracks heart rate and I workout in the AM for about 60-75min. Mostly I lift, but I do plyo and run/jog also. Heart rate stays at 155-160

Don't use it for lifting.

Do you wear it all day (as in, using it as a step tracker as well as for exercise?). If so, set yourself to sedentary and just eat the adjustments (with the usual real world results caveat). Simplest way to do it. But this is only my opinion!
  • kpressnell2017
    Options

1650 GOAL

Do you wear it all day (as in, using it as a step tracker as well as for exercise?). If so, set yourself to sedentary and just eat the adjustments (with the usual real world results caveat). Simplest way to do it. But this is only my opinion!

Why not for lifting?
  • VintageFeline
    Options

1650 GOAL

Why not for lifting?

HRMs are really only intended for use during steady state cardio. If you are heavy lifting, which will include large rest periods between sets, then it's going to be a way overinflated burn.

I happen to lift lower reps in a sort of superset style and have found the burns for that using the GymTimer app to be accurate but I have zero rest periods. If I ever switched to something like Stronglifts, then I wouldn't use it.
  • Spliner1969
    Options
    HRMs are really only intended for use during steady state cardio. If you are heavy lifting, which will include large rest periods between sets, then it's going to be a way overinflated burn.

I happen to lift lower reps in a sort of superset style and have found the burns for that using the GymTimer app to be accurate but I have zero rest periods. If I ever switched to something like Stronglifts, then I wouldn't use it.

I'd have to agree for the most part. I use my for lifting but I also do more of a cross training workout with lower weight and high reps with no rest in between sets/muscle groups. This way I can keep my HR up during the entire workout and burns are more accurate. If, for whatever reason, I stop the workout to rest, I pause my app and start it up again only when my HR exceeds 120bpm. It keeps it more accurate for me anyway. Some apps will have different exercises you can switch to which might be more accurate. I like Endomondo for this purpose because calorie burns will speed up or slow down based on heart rate.