Eating healthy is tough when you have kids

Options
13»

Replies

• Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Those who throw out perfectly good candy, do you feel bad? I mean people spend money for the children to be able to get a treat, is that not wasteful?

Why not just limit the amount of doors the kiddies knock on to limit the amount of treats received?
    Or maybe I'm just sensitive to wasted food in America. :)

H#ll no. Once something is given it is up to the receiver to determine what to do with it. If there is too much candy around the house for the kids or the parents no problem throwing some out.
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    The shame of logging that third or fourth fun-size snickers after taking it from their trick-or-treat stash would be a good deterrent for me.
  • serapel
    serapel Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    I will never understand why a parent wouldn't feed their children a healthy diet. I always saw that as one of my responsibilities as a parent.

haha....funny....
  • serapel
    Options
    Don't blame having kids. You could buy fruit and make your kids eat it

I'm 19% body fat btw....thanks for the nice commentary
  • serapel
    Options
    Thanks. I like the idea of the snack jars. That was a great idea. I think I'll try it at home.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Options
    I will never understand why a parent wouldn't feed their children a healthy diet. I always saw that as one of my responsibilities as a parent.

Agreed. Another parent responsibility, though, is teaching kids moderation, and they need practice to learn it. When mine were 10-14, they liked making a mixture of peanuts, raisins, M&M's & pretzels for a snack. They asked for it, and I bought it for them. I remain amazed at how they could share a bag of m&m's and make it last a week. At that age, I would have been hording and binging, sad to say. I may have learned a little moderation from them, come to think of it. If they had gorged or fought over food, I would have had to handle it differently. We didn't have "forbidden foods," and they did have a healthy diet. It just included modest treats of their choosing.

OP, 95% of the time I kept away from their snack food. And there was the odd occasion where I would cave and eat it. Because I like ALL their stuff. It helped me (1) to save calories for really nice high quality treats for myself (2) to keep my snacks in a separate cabinet. I didn't feel deprived and I could tell myself to stick to my cabinet. But yea, sometimes it just comes down to willpower, and sometimes my willpower wasn't enough. But on average, it worked out.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    My wife hides the Halloween stash in one place. My kids hide their candy in another place, and I hide my candy in yet another place. I plan to have a piece of my candy as a snack later today. What's the problem?
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options

Shark Week.
  • kportmanshark
    kportmanshark Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    The shame of logging that third or fourth fun-size snickers after taking it from their trick-or-treat stash would be a good deterrent for me.

Yeah I just log everything and seeing too much red tells me to back off. I don't beat myself up if it's one day, but, if the second day looks like i'm going to be going over I guilt myself into not eating the chocolate or whatever.

• cqbkaju
    cqbkaju Posts: 1,011 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Fill up on protein shakes whenever you have cravings.
    Kids aren't the problem. Making poor choices is the problem.
    It sounds like Halloween isn't the problem, but it might be your excuse to make poor choices.

Like @littlechiaseed says, you can give out any number of things besides chocolate or candy.
    If you know it will be a "problem" for you then why would you have it in your house?

Portion out what your kids get from other houses and throw the rest away or donate it.
    There is no reason why your kids have to eat junk food or all of the candy they bring home.
    You can teach them to make better choices also.
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Those who throw out perfectly good candy, do you feel bad? I mean people spend money for the children to be able to get a treat, is that not wasteful?

Why not just limit the amount of doors the kiddies knock on to limit the amount of treats received?
    Or maybe I'm just sensitive to wasted food in America. :)

I've literally spent over $15,000 on braces for three kids-no I do not feel bad if I throw away the candy that can cause damage to all of the hardware in their mouths :| We don't go to a lot of houses because of this-usually two streets and then we call it good. About half of the candy is sticky (skittles, starbursts, caramels, tootsie rolls, gum etc), and it goes in the trash immediately. Most of the chocolate things are safe so we keep those. My husband and I have also had a lot of dental work done and neither of us eat the really sticky things either.

• serapel
    Options

Shark Week.

They need to apple-ogize
  • serapel
    Options
    crazyravr wrote: »
    serapel wrote: »
    I find it tough to eat healthy with the kids' snacks in my cupboards. And now the Halloween chocolate bars are going to be in abundance in my household this Monday. I LOVE chocolate...oh crap.

What are some tricks to avoid eating your children's snacks (granola bars, cookies, Halloween treats, etc). Is there spell I can cast to make myself hate chocolate for two weeks???

I hear this all the time... people blaming kids or their significant others for their problems. Did the kids buy the snacks and junk or did you? The kids will eat what you eat. Also there are plenty of healthy and good for you snacks out there.

I am 19% body fat people!!!

You guys are talking to me like I'm 300 lbs.
  • serapel
    Options
    Thanks for the help. I'm not coming back to this thread bc I'm getting beaten up more than my liking here. It's not worth it bc I have to work, go home, make dinner, pick up my kids from school, do homework, put them to bed...

I have enough stress in my life already. I don't wish to read what I find to be very negative and unnecessary feedback.

I do appreciate the kind and helpful responses.
  • chocolate_owl
    chocolate_owl Posts: 1,695 Member
    Options
    I find it tough to eat healthy with the kids' snacks in my cupboards. And now the Halloween chocolate bars are going to be in abundance in my household this Monday. I LOVE chocolate...oh crap.

What are some tricks to avoid eating your children's snacks (granola bars, cookies, Halloween treats, etc). Is there spell I can cast to make myself hate chocolate for two weeks???

I hear this all the time... people blaming kids or their significant others for their problems. Did the kids buy the snacks and junk or did you? The kids will eat what you eat. Also there are plenty of healthy and good for you snacks out there.

I was following this thread out of curiosity and wasn't planning to comment, but this is awfully fat-shamey to me. Why should your BF% matter when it comes to how you feed yourself and your kids if you're striving to be healthy?
  • serapel
    Options

I was following this thread out of curiosity and wasn't planning to comment, but this is awfully fat-shamey to me. Why should your BF% matter when it comes to how you feed yourself and your kids if you're striving to be healthy?

I deeply apologize if this offended anyone. This was not my intent.