NSV Cheese Biscuit & Pasta Salad

Options
goldiejoe
goldiejoe Posts: 121 Member
I eat a buffet lunch daily provided by my employer. Normally I keep it simple and enjoy a grilled chicken breast, steamed veggie of the day, and a starchy veggie or bread, with fruits for dessert. It really makes it easy to eat well when someone else is doing the preparing and there is a variety to choose from.

Today, however, was different. I got all my regular food choices, then added to it (because they both looked so good and are not normally on the menu) a serving of pasta salad dressed with mayonaise, and a Red-Lobster style cheese biscuit. Couldn't resist.

So here is the NSV: I ate only one bite of the salad (determined that it looked much better than it tasted, and was NOT worth the calories I would have to skip later in the day) I also broke the biscuit in half, then ate only half of the half. It was lucious, like a cheese flavored cookie, but I filled up on the healthy foods and passed on the rest of the biscuit (which I could have easily consumed)

I threw the remainder of the pasta salad and cheese biscuit in the garbage. What makes this an NSV is I am a former member of the clean plate club, and this would have killed me to throw the food away just a few months/weeks ago. Its a major change for me to be able to determine whether it is worth eating or not, and if not to toss it out.

Thanks for reading my brag, just had to share my victory :)

Replies

• amomofboys79
    Options
    That is a great NSV!!! I used to get weak at a buffet and try way way too much! Everyone needs a little "extra" now and then.
  • aszwarc
    aszwarc Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Good for you!

I was raised as a member of the Clean Plate Club, too, and it still pains me to throw out perfectly good food. But I'm slowly getting over that.
  • jporte
    jporte Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Wtg! That is a huge NSV....I'm the same way (still am unfortunately), if I take it I must eat the whole thing so generally I try not to take the piece of cake, cookie etc...especially things that have sugar in them since I would want more.
  • creech6317
    creech6317 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    That is a very big NSV. I can still hear my grandmother's voice in my head, telling me to clean my plate.
    It is so hard to break the habits that were beaten into us as a child.
  • thistimewillbedifferent
    Options
    That is HUGE -- congrats! I find I'm getting better and better at stopping part-way through eating something and thinking about whether it's actually worth the calories.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!