How long did it take to get used to your diet ?

Options
pinkste78
pinkste78 Posts: 54 Member
edited October 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
Ok, today, I feel A lot less hungry than I usually am everyday. This is new for me because usually I feel like I'm starving . I usually eat around 1500 to 2000 calories a day. I have been on This diet since August. I just eat at a calorie deficit is all. Am I finally getting used to my diet ? I Hope I am .... how long does it usually take a person to get used to a diet ? How long did it take YOU guys ? And I know I say diet ,but I mean learning a healthier way of eating, because that's what basically I'm doing.

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I had a pretty reasonable calorie deficit...it wasn't that big of a deal and I wasn't ever really hungry...did I want to eat for the sake of eating? Sure...but I wasn't hungry. I got used to having more self restraint is all and crappy habits fell by the wayside.
  • Cbestinme
    Cbestinme Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Yes I had similar questions. My body adjusted immediately it got food, ie day one. It's taken my mind some catching up to do and the eyes still need to catch up.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    I do not focus on "healthy" because there is no real clear definition of what that means. -- everyone seems to have a different idea of "healthy."
    Eat what works to help you stay at your calories for the day :)
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    I have no clue what you consider healthier way of eating. If you mean eating in a deficit, when I do that, it usually takes me a week for my body to adjust. I go pretty aggressive that first couple weeks mind you.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    If you mean to the calorie deficit, because I am a shorty my deficit is small, so not really any time. My training dictates my hungrier days and being female adds a few things there as well.

If you mean only eating healthy, well that means something entirely different to every one. I have found macro balance that makes me FEEL good so I stick with that. I choose foods that meet those macros and sometimes its Oreos (tonight I am having cupcakes) LOL
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,870 Member
    Options
    It took me about 3 weeks to experiment with different foods and find the ones that would keep me feeling reasonably full and are also low calorie.
  • robthephotog
    robthephotog Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Psychologically you are probably adjusting. It takes me about a month to get used to a new diet.

Be sure to watch your weight loss every couple of weeks. Just to make sure you're on track. Drink lots of water.

Above all, know you're doing it right. If you have cravings, that's your minds way of controlling what you eat. If you aren't having as many problems anymore, you are telling your mind to be quiet.
  • Shana67
    Shana67 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I don't really remember, but it did take some time - I want to say maybe 2 weeks. Eventually, I just got used to the feeling of being mildly hungry and I am FINE with that :)
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    It took me about a month to adjust to a 1200 calorie consumption with exercise. I learned to listen to my body and time my three meals to prevent the worst of my hunger, dizziness, irritability, and headaches.
  • LaReinaDeCorazones
    LaReinaDeCorazones Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    It didn't take too long, my only problem was controlling my eating on my days off....but other than that, I pretty much eat what I want, in moderation of course. Like tonight I had pizza ( albeit lol cal pizza) and a few mini Twix
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    pinkste78 wrote: »
    Ok, today, I feel A lot less hungry than I usually am everyday. This is new for me because usually I feel like I'm starving . I usually eat around 1500 to 2000 calories a day. I have been on This diet since August. I just eat at a calorie deficit is all. Am I finally getting used to my diet ? I Hope I am .... how long does it usually take a person to get used to a diet ? How long did it take YOU guys ? And I know I say diet ,but I mean learning a healthier way of eating, because that's what basically I'm doing.

Research has shown that it takes at least 3 weeks (21 days) to form a new habit. So, for each new habit that you add to your healthy living plan, you'll have to actively think about it for at least 3 weeks before it becomes second nature. Whether that's taking an evening walk or packing your lunch or snacking on fresh vegetables instead of potato chips. I suspect that exactly how long each habit takes depends on how much you like the new habit and how easy it is. e.g. "Snack on a small piece of dark chocolate" has been easier for me to make habit than "peel and chop carrot sticks to snack on".
  • DeviatedNorm
    DeviatedNorm Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    It probably took about a month to get used to the first calorie limit MFP set for me (1800), as it decreased thankfully it was a bit quicker for me to get used to.

It's crazy how much my stomach has literally shrunk. The other day I tried eating this massive breakfast burrito thing that I used to eat all the time in my pre-MFP days but I literally couldn't eat more than 1/3rd of it and that 1/3rd made my tummy hurt by feeling so darned full.
  • bininj
    bininj Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I try not to think of it as a diet. I go one day at a time and try to keep making good choices. I've stopped buying bread, rice and pasta, because I don't need them. That's what makes me fat. I'm sticking to low carb high fat because it suits me. That's the key I think. Doing what suits you and you can happily live with.
  • courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    Only a day or 2 for me but my calorie deficit is pretty small- only like 350 below TDEE
  • courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    And I pretty much eat the same foods as before except for now I have more proteun than I used to.
  • astrocosmiczoom
    astrocosmiczoom Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    It usually takes me about two weeks to get back into the calorie deficit.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    It took me 3 weeks to start getting into the groove… My motto is "fake it till you make it." Going through the motions suddenly sparked true motivation.
    Also… new research says it takes 68 days to form a new habit..not the 21 once thought.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    pinkste78 wrote: »

Checking your diary for the last days, on this kind of diet, I would be forever starving or eating several thousand calories per day. You are eating rather calorie dense food, given your daily calorie allowance, so it makes perfect sense to me to feel hungry a lot. I know you say this is healthy for you, but half of your calories if not more are coming from fast food and what most people would consider treats. Calorie-wise, of course it works, but it has the obvious drawback of you feeling hungry. Not saying it will not work, but if you do have a problem feeling full, try more lean protein and more vegetables and e.g. plan one treat for the end of the day. Higher volume food helps you feel more satisfied. Also experiment with your meals a bit. You tend to eat lots of calories in one or two meals. For some people this might be the way to go, for others 4-5 smaller meals might work best.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure I understand. You won't get used to feeling hungry if you are hungry because you eat too little or poorly. But you can learn to recognize and appreciate and respect your hunger and satiety signals. Learning, getting in habits, and getting used to how things feel, are three different things even though they are connected. Maybe getting used to how things feel isn't an important goal to have. I have been eating like I do now, for three years, and I still don't feel used to it. But it feels good, and that's important to me.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    I find that if you have a goal and a timeframe anything is possible. Hunger is just an emotion and it is highly unlikely that you are actually lacking sufficient nutrition.

Anecdotal evidence: a 1500 calorie deficit + 1hr of cardio everyday for 3 weeks.