• arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    :angry: SELL OUT!!!!!!! :angry:

Money over health..........dammit:grumble:
  • leftyy2k4
    leftyy2k4 Posts: 71
    Options
    There are some vitamins that you do not get enough of through your diet. Why do you take a multi-vitamin? If you were able to receive all nutrients through diet then there would be no reason for them.

People who don't eat a balanced diet need multi vitamins. Maybe if you on some all grapefruit diet you need some supplements.

All those JM supplements and "vitamins" are crap. I use Gods multi vitamin. Fresh fruits and vegetables.
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    SELL OUT! I tell ya :laugh: All that being said, she can provide a good a** kicking workout :happy: ..wished she would stick to what she's good at!:grumble:

I refuse to buy her video for this reason. When I am back on my feet I am getting a good one for home and hitting the weights at the gym.

Me and my new :heart: are gonna be :smokin:

*(thanks for the good workout ideas you post, much appreciated!:love: )
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    Pssh ... Seems like it happens with just about everyone eventually. I just take away what I find helpful (the workouts, etc) and ignore the rest. :ohwell:
    :drinker:
  • melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    Options
    Me, personally, I’ve never liked her. I think her exercise regime is too extreme for most people. I lost 80 pounds, but never worked out half as hard as she pushes people on The Biggest Loser. I could easily see where people would get discouraged by the exercise routines she pushes. She’s like a drill sergeant. My main exercise is walking, indoor and outdoor, the elliptical, and a stationary bike, plus Pilates machine. She expects people to go from coach potato to a triathlon.

I've never liked her either. I don't see intimidating people and screaming at them as "encouraging" (which is also why I'd never make it in the military... not that they are there to be encouraging). I have never even thought of looking into a video of hers because I assumed they would be the same as she is on TV... and I never will at this point because of how she treats people on TV. The whole diet supplements, powders, etc. just adds to the reasons I dislike her.
  • slg334
    slg334 Posts: 25
    Options
    I was thinking that too.
  • eekface
    eekface Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    There are some vitamins that you do not get enough of through your diet. Why do you take a multi-vitamin? If you were able to receive all nutrients through diet then there would be no reason for them.

Yup I agree:flowerforyou:
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options

I would think the vast majority of people in the world *don't* take multivitamins.

Many people don't eat well or maybe they're afraid they're not eating well and those are reasons supplements exist. You can certainly receive adequate and appropriate nutrition through your diet. Animals don't take multivitamins yet they still thrive. Yes, malnutrition is possible under certain conditions, that's nature, but you certainly don't *need* a vitamin supplement in order to thrive. :wink:
  • Clew
    Clew Posts: 910 Member
    Options

I would think the vast majority of people in the world *don't* take multivitamins.

Many people don't eat well or maybe they're afraid they're not eating well and those are reasons supplements exist. You can certainly receive adequate and appropriate nutrition through your diet. Animals don't take multivitamins yet they still thrive. Yes, malnutrition is possible under certain conditions, that's nature, but you certainly don't *need* a vitamin supplement in order to thrive. :wink:

I've taken them and not taken them ... Some experts swear by them, others say you just wee them out anyway. I can say I haven't really felt better or different while taking them, and always feel best when I just eat fresh veggies and as unprocessed as I can. But hey, if you feel better taking a supplement, I don't see anything wrong with that :flowerforyou:
  • leavinglasvegas
    leavinglasvegas Posts: 1,495
    Options
    I saw her on The Doctors the other day. A part of me still loves to hate her.

The one doctor said something about buying products the make claims like fast weight loss, detox, etc. I waited eagerly for her to say something about her products. To defend her marketing promos. To explain why her name is on these very products that the doctor is saying are non-sense......

Nothing. She just smiled and looked real pretty for the camera. I lost respect for her at that moment.

She could have explained how certain blends of herbs can ASSIST in the function of certain organs. She could have stated that sometimes when we are less than perfect about our diet we can use the extra boost to get back on track, prevent water retention, or replace certain vitamins and minerals. But she just sat there.

I don't recommend any of those products. But I do get how herbs are used in detox or homeopathy. Its a completely different thing than whats on the market. And they do work, but its not how they claim. Marketers have totally made a mockery out of medicinal practices that have been used for centuries. Such a shame. And Jillian is nothing more than a fake celebrity anyways.

In Master Your Metabolism she talks about how she worked for an agency in Hollywood. I got the impression that she only got into this for the fame from the very beginning. Aside from her workouts, which I bet are made up by someone else anyway, I could care less about her.
  • Mande_G
    Mande_G Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Pssh ... Seems like it happens with just about everyone eventually. I just take away what I find helpful (the workouts, etc) and ignore the rest. :ohwell:

My sentiments exactly. :smile:
  • lilmissy2
    lilmissy2 Posts: 595 Member
    Options

I've taken them and not taken them ... Some experts swear by them, others say you just wee them out anyway. I can say I haven't really felt better or different while taking them, and always feel best when I just eat fresh veggies and as unprocessed as I can. But hey, if you feel better taking a supplement, I don't see anything wrong with that :flowerforyou:

I don't see anything nutritionally wrong with taking a multivitamin although taking too many can be toxic but I'm more against how much of a waste of money it is for most people when you could easily get the nutrients you need through food.

To be honest, I don't blame Jillian... I don't think you really get into the tv business unless you plan to make some money and people get far more excited by whatever new and fashionable diet trick there is out there than the good old eatiing healthily and exercising motto.
  • candican
    candican Posts: 96
    Options
    I can't go anywhere on the internet without seeing her darn face! It's over- saturation and it seems like she's behind every single gimmick now. I too was thinking the same thing- isn't she a personal trainer who's supposed to be focusing on the healthy way to lose weight? I really can't take her seriously now. I was never a fan but on here, I've heard some good things about her videos. Now I wouldn't trust anything she says to buy in terms of supplements. Look at Kim Kardashian. She's behind that god awful QuickTrim. Can you imagine? How could they live with themselves for getting so many people to buy that crap??
  • mkward62
    mkward62 Posts: 5
    Options
    I have never been a fan but this is what happens to people who obtain celebrity status....they chase the almight buck. She is not someone I will ever respect no matter how good she looks......obviously there are no morals under the surface! She should become a politician because she would fit right in!!
  • simona1972
    simona1972 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I can take her or leave her. I love her on BL - I find her very motivating and I do have 2 of her DVDs that I love. I don't agree with the whole supplements thing but it's my choice not to buy them. I accept that with her position on TV that it comes with the territory. Diet pills/supplements are big business - I'm not surprised that her face/name are on some of them.

I do agree with comments that you don't need a multivitamin. If you eat a balanced diet, you CAN and SHOULD be getting everything you need from that. That said, I do think most people don't eat balanced so there is a place for them in peoples aresenal.

Again, it's all about choice.
  • arewethereyet
    Options

To be honest, I don't blame Jillian... I don't think you really get into the tv business unless you plan to make some money and people get far more excited by whatever new and fashionable diet trick there is out there than the good old eatiing healthily and exercising motto.

I don't know:ohwell:

I think I would rather be the one who held onto my beliefs and kept my fan base........than to sell out for a 2 yr quickie get rich scheme she herself had debunked in her interviews and pod casts.

I would rather be held in high esteem and only be a millionaire, than be a gazillionaire with no self respect. :flowerforyou:

Tis just my humble opinion.
  • imagymrat
    imagymrat Posts: 862 Member
    Options

I don't know:ohwell:

I think I would rather be the one who held onto my beliefs and kept my fan base........than to sell out for a 2 yr quickie get rich scheme she herself had debunked in her interviews and pod casts.

I would rather be held in high esteem and only be a millionaire, than be a gazillionaire with no self respect. :flowerforyou:

Tis just my humble opinion.

Your humble opinion, is the same as mine. Just because you can doesn't mean you should. A side note on the multi vitamin...I don't believe in them. I'm gonna get a lot of slack here, but not for kids either, I think it's horrible to stick a flinstone in their mouths and then give em a twinkie in their lunch boxes, saddens me really. My fitness guru trainer, had a saying, "If god didn't creATE it, that you shouldn't have ATE it!" makes me laugh, for the poor english at best, it's funny but oh so very true! You can meet all your nutrional needs through diet, unless you have a disease or condition that prevents absorption.
  • lilmissy2
    lilmissy2 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I guess that fact that I never liked her anyway helps to form my opinion. To be honest, I consider promoting that it is safe to work out several hours a day, eat very little and lose 10 pounds per week to already be a sellout. Actually, based on that you probably do need a supplement!
  • sheyna1983
    sheyna1983 Posts: 137
    Options
    I heard she got sued for her useless supplements. Which are VERY useless. I read through the ingredients on one of her detoxes and it was a bunch of anti-oxidants and a diuretic (dandelion) - how is that a detox??
  • karenmi
    karenmi Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I can't STAND her!!! I've never watched much of Biggest Loser over the years because I think that the shows set a bad example for people trying to get healthy. They are way too extreme in my opinion and completely unrealistic. I think her & the guy trainer are big phoneys, they are just acting a part. I much prefer the Canadian-produced shows like "Taking it Off" and "X-Weighted" which are much more real life and a lot less slickly produced.

I've watched one full episode of her new show and part of two others, and that's enough for me. Again, I think she's acting for the cameras and I doubt that she gives a crap for any of those people. And NO way would I want to work out with a trainer yelling at me.

Honestly, I'm surprised that no one has died on the Biggest Loser yet..........