Walking into winter

Options
I moved to Reno, NV this summer after spending all of my 35 years in the warmth of Las Vegas. I have been walking 3 miles everyday for the past month and would like to continue walking as the temperatures plummet and we enter the wet season. I am looking for advice on keeping warm and dry from those of you who walk in the cold and wet.
What sort of footwear is comfortable for long walks while also good for sloshing through mud puddles and not breaking my neck on icy sidewalks?
How do I keep dry and warm when it is raining and too windy for an umbrella? Already happened for three days last week and it was miserable!
I've heard of dressing in layers, but what layers will I be needing?
How do I keep my ears and nose warm? They are already so cold.
This thing called snow... anything I should know about that?
Any advice you can give this cold clueless walker would be a great help.

Replies

• pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    The easy answer it to find an gym and use, or buy, a treadmill. Hopefully someone else may be along to give you some more practical advise ;-). Once it gets too cold or snowy/rainy for me in Northern NJ, I retreat to the lesser indoors.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I moved to Reno, NV this summer after spending all of my 35 years in the warmth of Las Vegas. I have been walking 3 miles everyday for the past month and would like to continue walking as the temperatures plummet and we enter the wet season. I am looking for advice on keeping warm and dry from those of you who walk in the cold and wet.
    What sort of footwear is comfortable for long walks while also good for sloshing through mud puddles and not breaking my neck on icy sidewalks?
    How do I keep dry and warm when it is raining and too windy for an umbrella? Already happened for three days last week and it was miserable!

Footwear - If it's just cold, I'd say warm socks and your regular walking shoes (sneakers) are fine. Some athletic socks are warmer than others and it is pretty easy to feel them out to see which will work for you. Is it really wet/muddy there in winter? Maybe something more waterproof like hiking shoes would work for you in that case.

Ears - I prefer earbands, or ear warmers, more than ear muffs. They are like wider headbands and go over your ears.

Nose - You could try a scarf or get a coat that zips/buttons up high enough to cover part of your face.

Your body should adjust to the cold after awhile. I'm not saying that you are going to be out wearing a bikini but at a certain point you likely will find that the cold doesn't feel so cold. I go through this every year. Cold weather is my favorite but the first few times it dips down to the 30s/40s I get a bit chilly. After a couple of weeks it goes away and I'm fine (or complaining about being hot again.)
  • PennWalker
    PennWalker Posts: 554 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options

I second the suggestion to join a gym. Even if you don't use it every day, it will be there in the worst weather.

Breaking your neck on icy sidewalks is definitely something to take into account. Check the tread on the bottom of your shoes. Never walk in snow or ice with shoes with worn tread (and watch out for walking on wet rocks, which become slippery) -- I fell 2 years ago and got a concussion that way. You can also buy ice grips that you slip over your shoes -- they're available on Amazon and other retailers. The cheap ones with inserted grips fall apart. I no longer walk in ice or snow since my concussion and joined the gym for that reason.

Clothes for the cold:
    Sweatpants and sweatshirts
    Lightweight turtleneck sweaters under your sweatshirt
    Long flannel underwear under heavy jeans to keep out the wind
    A hoodie
    Warm pull-on caps (that cover your ears) you can wear under your hoodie
    A scarf to wrap around your mouth and nose
    Gloves

• girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    look for info on hiking gear - that should cover all the basics. Forget the gym - you are more likely to get sick from a boring walk on a treadmill than a walk outside. nothing wrong with walking on snow and ice, builds stamina and good core muscles.

layers - aim for merino wool if you can, you'll want a long thermal top and probably bottoms, but don't forget you'll get warm too. I don’t know what temperatures you are talking about. Items you can keep layering on easily (ie. full zips). A softshell top is good as it keeps the wind out, and a waterproof with a hood with a peak.

Hiking trousers, never jeans (jeans and wet do NOT go together). Socks, again, hiking socks are good, preferably wool or similar (I’m allergic to wool and you don’t know how much of a pain that is). Shoes – walking shoes/hiking boots, probably something sturdy and waterproof, with goretex perhaps. You can easily buy attachments for walking on ice, but approach icy walks and snowy walks cautiously. Actually decent snow can be fantastic to walk in and one hell of a workout.

Gloves, you can get thin inners for gloves, which I like as my hands get hot when walking, but also I get Raynauds meaning they don’t much like cold. If it’s really cold, mittens are best – look in skiwear.
    Scarf – a scarf is good, a buff is multi-purpose and you can shove your nose in it for cold moments.

And a bobble hat. You can call it a beanie or a touque if you like. You’ll want one.

top tip. Keep your kidneys warm. Even wrapping a scarf around your middle will help.

enjoy.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    You can find running/walking gear made for outdoor element that are waterproof and comfortable and not bulky.

A balaclava is a choice of many in the sub zero areas for face/neck warmth.

Trail running shoes are decent for the snow. They have a more hardened sole and better grip. I've used them for running on frozen Lake Michigan a few times though with icey shorter steps is best.

Their is the aspect that indoor will more than likely get you sick because of all the germs, so if you enjoy the outdoors dress for it and enjoy.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    I am not sure what types of temperatures you are talking about, but you are right about layering. Invest in a few good base layer and outer layer pieces and anything you put in between them will be fine. My advice comes from a running perspective, but I can't imagine it will be much different. Look for waterproof hiking shoes and a hooded shell. Look for Gortex or something similar. Merino wool is a great base layer. Get a pair of merino wool socks and a long sleeve fitted shirt. I like to run in fleeced lined tights. Find whatever pants are comfy for you, but as suggested above, avoid jeans if you think you will be walking in rain and snow. You can pretty much wear your everyday scarfs, gloves, hats, etc. to start with. As you become more committed, you will probably find yourself looking more specific options. I have a ton of winter running gear, but most of it was purchased over many seasons as the need arose. Start with the basics and work from there.

Walking/running outdoors in the winter is one of the greatest experiences ever, especially if you have the proper gear. Enjoy!
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    girlinahat wrote: »
    look for info on hiking gear - that should cover all the basics. Forget the gym - you are more likely to get sick from a boring walk on a treadmill than a walk outside. nothing wrong with walking on snow and ice, builds stamina and good core muscles.

Every word of this.

What you need is to experiment. I can tell you exactly what I wear to be comfortable at any temperature and you could wear the same thing and be too hot or cold. Because everybody responds differently. Try stuff, pay attention, and enjoy.

I think this is very much overkill but if you're worried about falling on ice, get a pair of microspikes. Carry them in your bag or pack, and put them on if you need them.

kahtoola-microspikes.jpg
  • apolinarshamler
    apolinarshamler Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    If you don't want to deal with the cold weather join a gym. If you don't want to do that then jump rope in your home. It's one of the best exercises.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    You'll be fine...the coldest months of the year, highs still average in the mid 40s to mid 50s
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    Options

layers - aim for merino wool if you can, you'll want a long thermal top and probably bottoms,

I'm a big fan of merino wool for your base layer too...... a light long sleeve top & longjohns under what you'd normally walk in may give you that extra bit of warmth that you need to be comfortable without getting overheated. One of the benefits of wool is that it stays warm even when wet.

Check out smartwool socks for the same reason.....warm but not too heavy. For your head a toque....

You'll probably find that by next winter you've acclimated more to the cooler temperatures (your winter compared to ours is positively tropical.....I still run outside at -35 it's really not bad if you're properly dressed)
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    You'll be fine...the coldest months of the year, highs still average in the mid 40s to mid 50s

Ah! That's still capris and long sleeved t-shirt with a removable light jacket weather.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I live in the mid-west. Snow & ice. I don't trust myself to walk in that kind of weather (excuses, excuses) so my winter go to is "walking videos."

They have lots of these on YouTube - Leslie Sansone and Jessica Smith. A walking video is low impact aerobics without the choreography. Not dancing, and no moves to learn or count......you just move (quickly).
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,956 Member
    Options
    Drive up to Tahoe and ski!!

~signed, ex-Tahoe resident :)
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all the suggestions. I am getting a good idea of what to put together. I think finding a good pair of shoes and accessories will be easy to find locally. We have an abundance of outdoor gear retailers. However, I'm currently wearing a 3x pants and 2x shirt. Where are good places to find outdoor wear in plus sizes? I like the idea of running gear too. If I ever get used these hills I'll do a C25K again. Inexpensive would be even better since I plan on wearing a much smaller size next winter, maybe even by spring.

I keep going back and forth over whether to get a gym membership. There are only two gyms within ten miles of my house, both Anytime Fitness and $35 a month according to their website. I had a gym membership in Vegas for $12 a month for a gym that had an indoor track and pool. Since I have a weight set in my spare bedroom, $35 to just walk on a treadmill seems incredibly steep to me. I'm also thinking if it's too nasty to walk, why would I want to get in my car and drive somewhere?

TeaBea wrote: »
    I live in the mid-west. Snow & ice. I don't trust myself to walk in that kind of weather (excuses, excuses) so my winter go to is "walking videos."

They have lots of these on YouTube - Leslie Sansone and Jessica Smith. A walking video is low impact aerobics without the choreography. Not dancing, and no moves to learn or count......you just move (quickly).
    I will have to check these out for those raining sideways days. I do yoga videos off YouTube occasionally.

@cmriverside. I am absolutely terrified of skiiing! It was easy to get out of it since skiing wasn't that popular in Vegas. It seems to be a way of life here though. I am interested in trying snow shoeing and fat biking, so I may just have to work my way up to skiing.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Snowshoeing is nothing like skiing. Skiing is like listening to music, snowshowing is like watching paint dry while being forced to walk with an unnaturally wide gait.
  • z4oslo
    z4oslo Posts: 229 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Norway is laughing at you :D
    We have a saying btw;: There is no such thing as bad weather, just bad clothes.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    I live in Quebec and didn't miss a day walking in the past winters, even in blizzards at -26c. That was fun!

-Thermal underclothes
    -A very warm coat. Point zero makes great winter coats that are also windbreakers and water proof. Get one with a hood. It gets so cold here that a winter hat, hoodie hood or earbands work well under the coat hood. If it gets too warm during the walk, you can take the jacket hood off and you're still covered. Get a jacket that isn't too tight as you'll want to layer clothing underneath.
    -Good snow boots that keep your feet warm and dry with good grip. If your boots do not have good grips, get a pair of snow cleats that attach to the outside of your boots/shoes.
    -Good gloves
    -moisturiser for the exposed face and good chapstick.
    -a thermos with a nice warm drink.
    -If it is snowing heavilly, stick to walking tracks away from the road or plowed sidewalks. Wear bright clothing, reflectors and/or lights.

-Practice walking on ice and don't walk with your hands in your pockets in case you fall. Waddle like a duck :D I've been walking on snow and ice for 10 years and still fall once or twice per winter.

• girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    I think I actually PREFER a walk in crisp cold weather than summer. Not rain though, we have plenty of that and not interested in walking in it.

Visited my sister near Winnipeg a few years ago. Snowshoeing is fun, but chilly when you stop! You spend the time taking layers off because you are so hot (especially if you are at the front breaking trail) and then putting them back on. Real cold is when your nostril hairs freeze. Really really cold is when you can't move your face. Loved it.

Winter walking also brings a different kind of light and colour to everything which makes it worth every minute. Then you can get back into a warm pub with a point and a roaring fire...
  • abiskeet
    abiskeet Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest some good hiking boots and socks. They're super comfy and last ages :)
    Love my boots and theyve been through all weathers
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    z4oslo wrote: »
    Norway is laughing at you :D
    We have a saying btw;: There is no such thing as bad weather, just bad clothes.
    I like that saying!

Winter walking also brings a different kind of light and colour to everything which makes it worth every minute. Then you can get back into a warm pub with a point and a roaring fire...
    Yes! This is why I want to walk in winter. My neighborhood is in a little valley surrounded by mountains and rolling grassy hills with a wetland at the bottom. There are mountains blocking the light from the city and the stars are spectacular on clear nights. We had a dusting of snow in September and it was gorgeous. It stuck around on the mountains for weeks. I think the view has kept me going even when the wind whipping off those mountain is biting cold. Our local bar is in a strip mall and doesn't have a fire, but I'll make do.