How many aches and pains do you ignore in order to work out?

Options
13»

Replies

• Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    serapel wrote: »
    I get aches and pains in my lower back. If it's just a strain, then I work out with good stretching. If there's any tearing or swelling, I don't go.

There was no swelling or tearing before I herniated the discs in my back, just back ache. A telltale sign that a disc impingement is occurring is pain elsewhere or shooting from the back, like shooting down your shoulder, legs, fingers, feet, etc. in conjunction with the back ache.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    None. At least not since surgery on my left foot.
    I now listen to my body when it screams "rest day." Granted, it doesn't scream that very often.
  • Gianfranco_R
    Gianfranco_R Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    GiddyupTim wrote: »
    What line?
    I have been running on a painful, swollen knee for the past three months. All that running hasn't helped.
    After two months of not getting better (yeah, I'm stubborn), I went to the sports kinesiologist to get it checked out. Here's how bad my running was: He said he had seen me out on the road and he already knew what the problem was!
    In seriousness, though, as one who has been old for a long, long time, if you let injury and discomfort stop you, you'll be stopped as often as you are active, and you will get out of shape and then you will get injured more.
    I think you push through, when you can, and when you are not doing anything permanent. But you are really, really diligent about all the things you can do to take care of the injury, the warm ups, the wearing of a brace, the icing afterwards, the new shoes, etc. You do not want to perpetuate that vicious cycle where you keep aggravating something so it never gets better.

Well, that happens because when we resume training after a stop, we want to be back to our previous fitness level too fast. It's avoidable.