Struggling with tum??

Options
2»

Replies

• brandocalrisian
    brandocalrisian Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Kettlebell swings for 100 reps. Start off with a comfortable weight and do 10-15 reps. Then add a rep every workout till u hit 100. Then up the weight. Your bum will get rounder while your tum gets flatter!
  • Dyandurson
    Dyandurson Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Check to see if you have any food intolerance that is causing you to bloat. Add some green tea, avocado, coconut oil and citrus fruits such as lemon to your diet.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Kettlebell swings for 100 reps. Start off with a comfortable weight and do 10-15 reps. Then add a rep every workout till u hit 100. Then up the weight. Your bum will get rounder while your tum gets flatter!

You can't spot reduce plus I would up the weight way before 100 reps in a row. If you can do anywhere near 100 you are swinging way too light of a bell
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Dyandurson wrote: »
    Check to see if you have any food intolerance that is causing you to bloat. Add some green tea, avocado, coconut oil and citrus fruits such as lemon to your diet.

...none of which will do anything to get rid of belly fat. Nor will kettlebell swings, waist cinchers or cutting down carbs.

As others have already said several times, spot reduction isn't possible and the midsection is often the last place fat comes off. Just the way it is.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    My tum was the last to go, as your weight reduces further so will your tummy. Lifting weights really helps though.

I have gone to having a rounded tummy to having an empty sack of a tummy :/ the weight training has helped immensely but as I've been in maintenance for nearly 4 years I think this is my lot. The skin does shrink a bit more when you've maintained goal weight for a while. I've made my peace with it and thank goodness for shapewear :smiley:
  • DanyellMcGinnis
    DanyellMcGinnis Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Sued0nim wrote: »
    Stomach can be in the last 5lbs for some

So much this. I am just at my goal weight now and it is only in the last month or so (after MFP all year and losing 43 pounds) that my stomach has begun to look to me like it is in proportion with my upper torso (by contrast, my ribs were showing months ago).
  • Raptor2763
    Raptor2763 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Belly fat is the last thing to go and you can't spot-reduce it. Eating clean and calorie-burning (usually whole body exercises, like burpees) will get you there. Up the intensity of your exercise routine(s), stand on the scale and amaze yourself
  • Raptor2763
    Raptor2763 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    OH - speaking of eating clean - the easiest way I found is to shop the perimeter of the grocery store. That way, you avoid processed foods loaded with sugar and salt, both of which will cause you to retain fluid, bloat the belly and sabotage your weight loss goal without you knowing it
  • socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options

I up the kettlebell weight if I can get to 15 reps in one set, without pause, with good form
  • Lynzdee18
    Lynzdee18 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    My youngest is 31. I thought I'd never lose my baby tummy. I have been maintaining a 50 pound loss snce April. And working on cardio and strength training. And I have finally lost that baby tummy. It takes forever, but it will leave. Now that I can finally complete more core exercises because I weigh less and am stronger, it flattened. :)

There. Is. Hope.
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    Body type, too. I can be lean lean and still the stomach isn't gonna be so tight, 4 babies and I am not built with a little waist anyway, more straight up n down. It makes it all the way to "acceptable" but never to what I'd consider "perfect", even when I am underweight by BMI standards, or lean and muscled enough to get compliments on back muscle in yoga, LOL.

First in, last out, as others have said, and don't get too hung up on getting it perfect.
  • seeing1111
    seeing1111 Posts: 13 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Some of us carry weight there, I am definitely one of them. At 120-122 lb range @ 5'2" I look small everywhere else but I appear fat in my middle still! I am down 15 lbs from about 135 at my highest and I still have the same flabby roll in that area. I had it before kids and after absolutely the same. I don't really want to look smaller anywhere else. It sticks out further than my chest when I relax my muscles. Just above waist I am very slim. I don't do weights or exercise enough probably, but have lived with the same weird body proportions all my life. I don't think any amount of exercise will get rid of it and have actually thought surgery is the only option to ever have a flat stomach, either that or being underweight and looking & feeling bony-not my goal. I think some of us are just made that way. So annoying!!!
  • knmorris85
    knmorris85 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    seeing1111 wrote: »
    Some of us carry weight there, I am definitely one of them. At 120-122 lb range @ 5'2" I look small everywhere else but I appear fat in my middle still! I am down 15 lbs from about 135 at my highest and I still have the same flabby roll in that area. I had it before kids and after absolutely the same. I don't really want to look smaller anywhere else. It sticks out further than my chest when I relax my muscles. Just above waist I am very slim. I don't do weights or exercise enough probably, but have lived with the same weird body proportions all my life. I don't think any amount of exercise will get rid of it and have actually thought surgery is the only option to ever have a flat stomach, either that or being underweight and looking & feeling bony-not my goal. I think some of us are just made that way. So annoying!!!

This! Me too! I don't have kids but I've lost a lot of body fat to the point that I barely have boobs and I still have a little belly. I had to stop losing because my ribs were showing too much and I don't find bras that fit! I'm 5'4 and 118lbs and still have tummy. I've had it my entire life- looking back at pictures, even when I was a little kid. I'm the leanest I've been now since I was young and my tummy is the flattest, but still, it's there. I'm working on maintenance/recomp now, so hopefully one day the little tire I have there is gone.

I think some of us are just meant to have a belly!
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    seeing1111 wrote: »

Even at 5'9" and 120, there was no concave waist or flat belly for me. Bodies need some fat on them, and we can't really choose where it goes. I think tummy tuck would be the only real fix, as they can pull the ligaments tighter, and when the fat cells are gone it tends to choose to go elsewhere, but that is brutal and very expensive, and I can't really imagine a situation where I'd do that since it's a small issue.

Building good shoulders and legs does help to change the proportions, and for me, gaining back some weight also helped since the next place my body puts fat is on the upper legs and butt. More muscle and more fat in lower body now, looks better.
  • victoria_1024
    victoria_1024 Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    I definitely still see my tummy as chubby even though the rest of my body is quite lean and most people describe me as tiny. I know it's not in my head. I could lose ten more pounds (I'm short) but I'm already wearing a size small or 4-6 in pants so I don't feel the need to lose more. I have 4 kids and lots of loose skin and stretch marks after losing 90 lbs so my tummy is what it is at this point! I still rocked a bikini this summer, stretch marks and all. :) But like others said, it took a long time to even start losing the stomach. And if I overeat one day, it bloats way out like crazy!