Do you take any workout supplements?

Do you take any workout supplements for your workout routine? If so what? And, what's the purpose of it?

Replies

• astrocosmiczoom
    astrocosmiczoom Posts: 86 Member
    I take BCAAs because they're literally just amino acids. They're good for muscle growth and post-workout muscle recovery. Other than that, I do a protein shake afterward. I used to do preworkout (C4/Noxplode), but it makes me too itchy.
  • renae161
    renae161 Posts: 334 Member
    astrocosmiczoom, Maybe you're allergic to the one that made you itchy?

Mjaykup, I think i've seen the one you're currently taking online. There's so many products out there I dont know what is what or if I need it.
  • astrocosmiczoom
    astrocosmiczoom Posts: 86 Member
    renae161 wrote: »
    astrocosmiczoom, Maybe you're allergic to the one that made you itchy?

It's just the beta-alanine and niacin in them - it gives me a flush and makes my neck/face itchy. But, it still does its job! Haha.

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Not really, no. I'm not advanced enough in any sport or competing in any field to need to be faster by a few seconds or to do one more push up than I'm able without. I see no point, personally. On a very long hike after a while of inactivity once I did get some baking soda in me and I opt to drink my coffee before workouts sometimes, but I don't buy stuff specifically to supplement workouts.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    i take creatine every day. dk if it makes me 'stronger', but it does significantly improve my muscle hydration levels, and that means i'm far less prone to friction damage and irritation. whey isolate is my other thing that i do every day because i find protein a chore.

bcaa's occasionally when i'm afraid of the doms. fish oil and/or glucosamine when i remember. so most of my stuff is directed towards maintenance and damage control more than 'performance' per se.
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Daily I take..

Multi Vitamin/Fish Oil/HMB

Preworkout:

Creatine/Beta Alanine/Hemavol or some other vasodilator.
  • renae161
    So then which one should I be taking? Or what should I look for in ingredients? I'd like one that is plant based.
  • watts6151
    watts6151 Posts: 905 Member
    Omega 3
    Joint support
    Black coffee, lots of black coffee
  • cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Protein powder to help reach my protein goal.
    Creatine for increased muscle endurance.
    BCAA's to help with muscle recovery.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Black coffee only.
    Though I did take creatine for a couple years until my doctors took me off when my kidneys were showing signs of failure as a precaution.
  • renae161
    That's good they took you off creatine as a precaution. So now it's just coffee then?
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Yes. Large cup of black coffee. Warms me up from my motorcycle ride in the 30-40s and give me the same boat as a pre workout.
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    no pre-workout usually. very occasionally if I'm super tired but don't want to take a rest day I'll take a scoop of beta-alanine (pure). The only time I was needing the pre-workout was when I was cutting because so *kitten* tired and hungry and miserable. When I am normal and happy I don't need the extra energy to work out.

BCAA + Glutamine (again, pure forms, not flavoured because not too into all the additives personally)

Vegan Protein powder (normal one makes me bloat)

and have used creatine in the past (pre-workout) but then had a couple of people tell me not to use it so I'm not currently using it but may do so again - gives a nice looking pump after working out :)

coffee or green tea should do the trick if you want to stick to natural/herbal. Do you feel you NEED the energy? You can't just get to the gym and work out without buzzing?

First time I took beta alanine I felt sooooo weird at the gym - it reminded me too much of my youth taking drugs in nightclubs.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    edited October 2016
    renae161 wrote: »
    Do you take any workout supplements for your workout routine? If so what? And, what's the purpose of it?

Not really...

Most people honestly aren't training at a level for which there would be a whole lot of benefit to taking most of these supplements...Pre-workout supplements for example...the only people I've actually observed really needing them are people who are high level, competitive athletes where training bouts can be long and/or intense.

The only time I really do anything outside of my normal diet is if I go on a long ride on the bike...If I'm out for more than about 30 miles I make sure I have some kind of recovery food when I'm done...I don't really do supplements though...I have a recovery smoothie that I make for that purpose.

Pre-gym I sometimes have an apple...a coffee if I'm feeling sluggish.

I will occasionally use a whey supplement to help me hit my protein targets, but by and large I do that through my diet as well.
  • renae161
    What vegan protein powder do you take? I've had a few day's recently when I feel I can't do it, but eventually push myself to workout.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    i take creatine every day. dk if it makes me 'stronger', but it does significantly improve my muscle hydration levels, and that means i'm far less prone to friction damage and irritation. whey isolate is my other thing that i do every day because i find protein a chore.

You don't know if it makes you stronger but you do know it improves "muscle hydration levels"? I'm intrigued as I'd say strength is very easy to measure, track and assess whereas I have not seen a "muscle hydration level" machine in my gym. Or do you perform biopsys on yourself each week?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,422 MFP Moderator
    I take BCAAs because they're literally just amino acids. They're good for muscle growth and post-workout muscle recovery. Other than that, I do a protein shake afterward. I used to do preworkout (C4/Noxplode), but it makes me too itchy.

Out of curiosity, why do you do both BCAA and a whey shake? Every whey shake I know of has equivalent levels of BCAA in them. Seems a little redundant.

I cook with whey, but I don't take pre -, post -, or peri - workout supplements.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,809 Member
    For normal gym workouts or cycle rides up to 2 hours - no supplements or special routines required, just my normal meals and water for thirst.

Over 2 hour rides will be fuelling as I go do a degree.

Over 3 hour cycle rides will ensure I have plenty of carbs on-board beforehand and fuel as I go (sports drinks and/or glucose/fructose mix gels or just snacks for easy to digest quick energy).

For 100+ mile events I might carb load and use beetroot juice (helps sub-maximal endurance cardio to a small degree).

On the longer rides may well take more care over recovery with a mix of carbs and protein, mostly just from food but sometimes shakes for convenience.
    Hot/sweaty/long rides I might use electrolyte tablet.

IMHO the use of most exercise supplements for ordinary people doing ordinary workouts is unnecessary.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    psulemon wrote: »

Out of curiosity, why do you do both BCAA and a whey shake? Every whey shake I know of has equivalent levels of BCAA in them. Seems a little redundant.

I cook with whey, but I don't take pre -, post -, or peri - workout supplements.

BCAA's pre-workout ,if fasted, then whey post-workout would not be redundant.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    edited October 2016
    Whey (Occasionally)
    BCAA (Occasionally, mostly when I'm saving up for a bigger meal later in day)
    Fish Oil (Daily)
    Vitamin D (Daily)
    Creatine (Daily)
    Multi (Daily)
    Caffeine (Hourly)