What to do for world's worst sweet tooth

Options
I am trying to lose weight but my sweet tooth gets me every time. I finally stocked up on the little apple trays that have a tiny bit of caramel in them. Seems to help. The dietician here at work recommended baking peaches etc. I have even found the little Smart Ones desserts. But they tend to make me want m0ore so I stay away from them.
Does anybody have any ideas that work for them to satisfy the sweet tooth without putting on the pounds?

Replies

• owieprone
    owieprone Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    low sugar jelly (erm jello? in america), get the saches (spelling?) that you make up yourself as it works out cheaper and i find has a better consistency. if you need something sweet they are good.

i also have dried mango and dates (they are now my sweets). i make up little bags/containers of about 3 of each and take that to work so i don't eat the whole bag.

i'm also a crisps fiend, so i tend to bad the cheap small bags of shops own brand ready salted (25g each bag or so) or make my own popcorn in 20g bags to take to work or eat around the house.

apple with a bit of [pea]nut butter on works well too.

i find the easiest way to not over eat sweets is to not eat them at all and find alternatives that i can live with, once you're used to eating them you don't really find yourself missing sweets. and when you do eat them they're not that great! never thought i'd say that!
  • mixedbag4444
    mixedbag4444 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I have a huge sweet tooth, so I understand your problem. One thing that I find helps me is if I don't buy sweet things- nothing sweet in the house leaves me craving them less. A teacher of mine used to say "out of sight, out of mind." I feel that this applies here

Another thing I like to do is bake low cal sweets, and limit myself to one a day. You satisfy your craving, but don't dip into your calories too much. However, I would be careful that you don't go overboard and binge haha.

Finally, sometimes if I'm craving sweets I brush my teeth instead. Who wants to eat sugar with a minty aftertaste?? Not me. It helps your cravings and is good for your teeth :)

The main thing I recommend is don't quit cold turkey. I used to do this, and then as soon as I would get one taste of something sweet, I would pig out for the rest of the day.

So simply put, you can eat a lower calorie treat every once in a while, as long as it doesn't ruin your daily intakes. Stay focused on your main goal, and it'll be easier to stay on track!

Good luck with your weight loss!
  • jrodx2
    jrodx2 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Something I love to do is take grapes, roll them in vanilla yogurt and then some crushed nuts and freeze them. When a craving hits, I go for one and it feels like I'm having a treat! A friend of mine will freeze mini kisses so that when she has a craving, she just grabs one and has to eat it slowly because it's frozen. :)
  • SisterhoodoftheShrinkingPants
    Options
    I abstained from sugar entirely until I got my power to choose back. Then I slowly added it back, but as treats, like 2x a week. If I brought something into my house and "binged" on it, I knew not to buy it again. I mostly have a treat outside of my home to avoid that whole scenario. Sugar addiction can be tough. I dont think it has to be eliminated from a diet to lose weight but it does have to be moderated, so the question is really, what type of treats CAN YOU moderate with? Find the things that work, and eliminate the ones that dont entirely. You have a goal in mind for yourself, so if sugar as a food source is proving a problem or becoming a trigger, try not having any at all., or very little :)
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    ...they tend to make me want m0ore so I stay away from them.
    That's how it works, the more sweets you consume the more you crave sweets. Cut back for awhile and the cravings should diminish. You can trying drinking water instead of sweetened beverages and when you really need a treat try dark chocolate instead.
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    skinny cow ice cream sandwiches
    fruit
    popsicles
    go ahead a nd eat the Hershey bar for - 210 exercise it off
  • SisterhoodoftheShrinkingPants
    Options
    More directly to answer your question, I buy rye crisp crackers, spread peanut butter on them and drizzle hershys chocolate syrup.

2 rye crisps (20 cals each)
    1 tsp peanut butter (30 cals)
    1 tsp syrup (17 cals)

fold together like a sandwich or eat one cracker at a time!

Total: 87 cals and very filling and tastes naughty ;) Some nights I double this for a whopping 174 cals lol
  • sourmash1973
    sourmash1973 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Everything in moderation.
  • supremelady
    supremelady Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I save calories for treats, since i know i love sweets.

York Peppermint patties-140
    Skinny Cow Peanut Butter Crisp-110
    Skinny Cow Ice cream sandwich-140-150
  • shaunap3
    shaunap3 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I crave chocolate CONSTANTLY. What I've found kind of helps is weening yourself off of intense tasting refined sugars. The prepackaged sugary sweet desserts just leave you wanting more. It's like a drug. Try and replace your dessert/sweet cravings for more naturally sweet things. Fruits are great. If you need a little chocolate or caramel, find something where you could dip or drizzle, but the bulk of it would still be fruit.

Frozen grapes are my new love. I could eat cups of them, but that's really not that bad.
    Jello. I don't suggest sugar-free anything!
    Pudding cups. You can add sprinkles of coolwhip to add texture and flavor. Under 150cals.
    Chocolate soy or almond milk. Also under 100 calories.
    Baked apples or peaches with a little cinnamon and sugar.
    Flavored hard candies. (chocolate, espresso, cookies n' cream, caramel, etc)
    Mini candy bars. I wouldn't buy a huge bag, just the smallest portion possible to keep you in check. And only give yourself the opportunity to have a REAL treat a few times a week, and only if you've worked it off already!
  • dellaquilaa
    dellaquilaa Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I keep both fresh and frozen fruits on hand. If I get a craving for junk (and it's been happening a lot lately), I'll have a glass of water and a peach or plum. If I'm still craving the junk after that, I'll go ahead and let myself have it.

I also keep dark chocolate covered raisins or almonds around - I'm not going to say they're particularly healthy, but they do have redeeming qualities like antioxidants and healthy fat :) In my mind, it's better than ice cream or cookies.
  • lcantrell65
    lcantrell65 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I just stopped eating anything sweet except for fruit. After a few days, I just stopped thinking about it at all. I will treat myself occasionally now. I was on vacation last week and had a lot of it, but I haven't found myself craving it today.

If you can't bear the thought of going cold turkey, allow yourself a something tiny (think fun size like Halloween). But save it for the very end of the day. That way you won't have all day to think about wanting another one.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    I find what you did - when I eat sugar I want more sugar. So I would recommend slowly changing your tastes. I'd do that by eating smaller portions and fewer of them of things you want. For me, that resulted in my not liking at all some of my old favorites, but still enjoying reasonable portions of things I still love.

To me the key is really strong flavors in small quantity.

Jelly Belly (or equivalent) jelly beans - one at a time. 10 calories per
    Ginger candy: 20 calories
    Candied ginger: 20-30 calories
    Ice cream: I like 1/4 cup. Depending on brand, this ranges from 80-180 calories. Pick something you love
    Candied fennel seeds (like you get in Indian restaurants). You can have 100 for like 20 calories
    Strong licorice
    Altoids
    M and Ms
    Ritter dark chocolate sports bar. Each square (1/16th of the bar) is really satisfying and 30 calories.

EAT ONE! Enjoy it! If you want another, have two. But that's it. It becomes very satisfying.

Healthy things that satisfy my sweet itch include a mix of cashews or peanuts with a SMALL NUMBER of chocolate chips or m and m. The nuts are healthy. The chips aren't. But it is nutritious and you just count the calories. Eat with a spoon so you can't pick out the chocolate.

I eat something sweet almost every day. But, excluding the ice cream, it's rarely more than 30 calories. With my daily hit of ice cream, it's 100-200 calories/day. Skip a piece of bread.
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    honey nut cheerios.............
  • morticia16
    morticia16 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I am addicted to chocolate. I cannot give it up. So basically I work it into my calorie overall.
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    Chocolite Triple Chocolate Fudge protein bars (www.healthsmartfoods.com)
    They have about 10 g Fiber, 10 g protein, are about 100 calories, and are sugar free/gluten free.

They sell them individually so you can try them out for about $1.50 each, I think. I like the triple chocolate fudge, my husband likes the cashew caramel or the peanut butter bars, and we both like the cookies/cream bars. I've tried the smores bar...not a big fan.

There's no weird chocolate aftertaste either!
  • coco3382458
    coco3382458 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    chocolate protein bar!
  • Gigsluvscw
    Gigsluvscw Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    For something a little different, try dipping your apple slices in PB2. Yum!
  • SarahIluvatariel
    SarahIluvatariel Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Here are a couple of things you could try:

1. Watch your Sugar intake on your macros. I feel like when I was doing a better job of monitoring my sugar intake, I craved it less, eventually. This was still a tricky spot for me, though, even when I was watching it. Hence, #2:

2. Eat fruit whenever you have a sugar craving. It's deliciously sweet (when ripe), and I learn to enjoy the sweetness even more, the more often I eat it. Also, the fiber that comes with it is really good for you (and, I've heard, counteracts the negative aspects of the fructose).

3. I'll echo sourmash1973: Everything in moderation. I now see no reason to by a king-sized candy bar. A regular will do. And if it comes in pieces (like starbursts), try savor just one or two pieces --I usually bite them off in tiny little pieces, so they last longer. You could even re-package them into snack bags of 50 calories each. I did that with a big bag of chips, once, and I found it quite handy.

4. If all else fails, go straight for desert (in moderation), instead of eating a meal. Just watch the overall calories, but enjoy the sweet that you want, instead of filling your stomach with something you actively DON'T want, at the time. Just beware of sugar crashes, if you do that...
  • ademiter
    ademiter Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Something I love to do is take grapes, roll them in vanilla yogurt and then some crushed nuts and freeze them. When a craving hits, I go for one and it feels like I'm having a treat! A friend of mine will freeze mini kisses so that when she has a craving, she just grabs one and has to eat it slowly because it's frozen. :)

^ THIS!