End of Bulk Pics??

Options
So I am trying to start a clean bulk (eating 2700 calories currently gaining about a half pound a week on average). But I am just curious if anyone can show me pics of what an effective clean bulk should end up looking like? I want to keep my gains as lean as possible (former fat boy so do not want to "get fat" again even if it means building muscle). And I am just curious how I should expect to look if I keep my surplus minimal as it is now and gain at a slow rate like this.

Any pics to show me what to expect? Or can anyone speak from experience? I am not afraid of a bit of fat but I really do not want to go back to being "fat" even if it is only temporary.

My current stats: approx. 140lbs at 5'8
Starting stats (back in end of august): 136lbs

Replies

• Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I know you asked for "clean", but here in these these two pics, I was eating anywhere from 5000-8000 calories a day (dirty) with a TDEE around 4200 for more than three months starting at 13% bf and didn't get too bad on fat.

6'3 225 lbs age 47

I know your not alone on worrying about bring fat again as many people have expressed this, but gaining at the weight at the rate you are talking is all in the mind, you'll be fine.
  • dpr73
    dpr73 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    I know you asked for "clean", but here I was eating anywhere from 5000-8000 calories a day (dirty) for more than three months starting at 13% bf and didn't get too bad on fat.

6'3 225 lbs age 47

Thanks for this. I really think I need to have a visual of what to expect because I know I will gain fat, but again the hang up is I do not want to become "fat." And this is ultimately what causes me to spin my wheels without any results.
  • Chieflrg
    Options
    What body fat % on you do you consider fat? Stop before that and begin your cut then.
  • dpr73
    Options
    What body fat % on you do you consider fat? Stop before that and begin your cut then.

My trouble is that I do not have a good grasp of where I am to begin with. I have done tests that say 10% and have taken measurements and put them into online calculators that say 10% but people on here have said that I am at around 15%...I have some lose skin though from my previous weight that may cloud my true percentage (for example, I do not have extremely visible abs but I can physically grab my skin which is covering them and none of what I grab is fat...).
    If I am truly at 10% then I wouldnt mind getting to 15% and stopping there...but again I am unsure where I am already
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    dpr73 wrote: »

My trouble is that I do not have a good grasp of where I am to begin with. I have done tests that say 10% and have taken measurements and put them into online calculators that say 10% but people on here have said that I am at around 15%...I have some lose skin though from my previous weight that may cloud my true percentage (for example, I do not have extremely visible abs but I can physically grab my skin which is covering them and none of what I grab is fat...).
    If I am truly at 10% then I wouldnt mind getting to 15% and stopping there...but again I am unsure where I am already

If experienced people have said you are 15% I would base your plan on that. The chances are you are not 10% unless you have well defined abdominals, vascularity and good muscle definition. Set your goal to be between 0.25-0.5lbs a week so keep your bulk as "lean" as possible. You will gain some fat but you can easily limit this by doing the above.
  • dpr73
    edited October 2016
    Options

If experienced people have said you are 15% I would base your plan on that. The chances are you are not 10% unless you have well defined abdominals, vascularity and good muscle definition. Set your goal to be between 0.25-0.5lbs a week so keep your bulk as "lean" as possible. You will gain some fat but you can easily limit this by doing the above.

15% seems really high then for me to START a bulk I would imagine that I'd be 20% by the end which already spooks me cause I know that is borderline unhealthy. Do I need to cut then before bulking?

Most people around me tell me I am "skinny" and need to gain muscle but this whole BF thing hangs me up. People around me who are fit also believe my BF% is super low. I guess I just have a poor conception of how I look so I can't trust my own perception

EDIT: I just did check what posters had estimated me at and it was actually asplit of 10/11% some 12% and then a few said 14% so as you can see it is super difficult when no one really had a consensus

• trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options

15% seems really high then for me to START a bulk I would imagine that I'd be 20% by the end which already spooks me cause I know that is borderline unhealthy. Do I need to cut then before bulking?

Most people around me tell me I am "skinny" and need to gain muscle but this whole BF thing hangs me up. People around me who are fit also believe my BF% is super low. I guess I just have a poor conception of how I look so I can't trust my own perception

EDIT: I just did check what posters had estimated me at and it was actually asplit of 10/11% some 12% and then a few said 14% so as you can see it is super difficult when no one really had a consensus

Sorry I missed the final sentence. I would cut to 10-12% then bulk first. You'll regret bulking over 15% as you'll look worse, have more fat to cut when you want to get lean and calorie partitioning and hormones become less favourable.
  • dpr73
    Options

Sorry I missed the final sentence. I would cut to 10-12% then bulk first. You'll regret bulking over 15% as you'll look worse, have more fat to cut when you want to get lean and calorie partitioning and hormones become less favourable.

And that's where I am confused cause people were saying 10-12% then a few said 14% but most of them said I am in the right place to bulk. However, I am just really confused right now. Would you be able to see my previous post that my pics are in?
  • watts6151
    watts6151 Posts: 888 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Don't get hung up on bf%

Simply bulk until YOU are
    Starting to get uncomfortable with the
    Way you look, at this point drop down to
    Maintence cals

This pic was at the end of my bulk in
    April 6ft. 232lb
    9wgsj7ikwpfz.jpeg
  • DeficitDuchess
    DeficitDuchess Posts: 3,099 Member
    Options
    < Is always having to mop, the damn floor! :p
  • pbryd
    pbryd Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Visual BMI might help you out.

http://visualbmi.com/

Be sure to click on the male symbol at the top ♂ and adjust the height slider to match yours.

Take the results with a pinch of salt.
  • dpr73
    edited October 2016
    Options
    So could someone tell me if I am at the right place to bulk? I am not happy with my muscle mass but I really don't think I am carrying a lot of fat. But I really just cannot make a definitive plan until I know for sure what is the best call right now for me.

ALSO, I hear a lot about "noob" gains...I have been lifting consistently for four years now but began lifting while losing weight and doing cardio and haven't really done an effective bulk yet (though I have tried). Seeing as this is my first bulk cycle and I am 21, am I primed for noob gains or am I probably outside that window?
  • pbryd
    Options
    You've been lifting consistently for four years, but you only weigh 140lb.

I think you need to get on a proven strength program.
  • dpr73
    Options
    pbryd wrote: »
    You've been lifting consistently for four years, but you only weigh 140lb.

I think you need to get on a proven strength program.

I am the type who often underestimates what I eat. I have been doing regiments with compound lifts for years now, and yes I am really dissatisfied with my weight and muscle mass given the time and EXTREME dedication I give this. But again, I continue spinning my wheels because of the FFB syndrome I have. I know what I want but am unsure how to get there, or more specifically, I fear that the bulking will take me further away from what I want (as in, I get unhealthily fat again) so that's why everything has just been the same for so long.
  • pbryd
    Options
    Well careful calorie counting (a small surplus) will have you gain slowly, but if that's too much to cope with, perhaps you need to speak to someone about your fears.
  • Chieflrg
    Options
    Link up your current pics from front and side. 10% bf is pretty hard to achieve and a couple of us will give you a good idea. If you are in the 10-12% really good time to bulk.

Also if you want to fain, your are going to have to face the fact that you will gain some fat. I know people on here that have lost hundreds of pounds that are dipping in the bulk pool finally and enjoying it.
  • dpr73
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Link up your current pics from front and side. 10% bf is pretty hard to achieve and a couple of us will give you a good idea. If you are in the 10-12% really good time to bulk.

Also if you want to fain, your are going to have to face the fact that you will gain some fat. I know people on here that have lost hundreds of pounds that are dipping in the bulk pool finally and enjoying it.

These two are front pics at approx. 140lbs (I just ate something). First is unflexed second is flexed
    m3hx4sdeqq1y.png
    f0d8po9rjoga.jpeg

The second two are side (unflexed then flexed): mtxx7jiaapn1.jpeg
    1g8y40dixaul.jpeg

Agai nI have a lot of confusion here because my stomach looks like I have some fat there but it really is skin (like I know what fat feels like and this can actually be pulled, which most people say isnt normal haha).
  • dpr73
    Options
    My current measurements: Chest is around 38. Waist is around 28.5, Hips are about 35, thighs are a little over 20, and arms are close to about 13 all unflexed.
  • watts6151
    watts6151 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    Regardless of bf%
    It's time to bulk

If you cut down any more there
    Wouldn't be nothing left of you

Slowly increase your cals and
    Put the hard work in the gym
  • pbryd
    Options
    This guy comes to mind when you talk about maintaining a low bf% while bulking, he took a photo every day.

http://www.johnstonefitness.com/my-transformation/pictures/daily-photos-front/