Coconut oil

Options
Why is it good for you but high in calories?

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Calories are simply the amount of energy that is in a food. Something can have macro- or micronutrients your body needs and still be calorie dense.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Why is it good for you but high in calories?

For one, coconut oil isn't some kind of magic and many of the claims are exaggerated or nonexistent...it's a healthy fat to use, but it's still fat...fat is calorie dense.

Secondly, "good for you" has nothing to do with calories...calories simply represent the energy provided by a certain food...a calorie is a unit of energy...there are any number of calorie dense foods that are good for you and provide for some awesome nutrition...conversely, there are numerous things very low in calories or no calories that provide little to no nutrition...one has nothing to do with the other.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    who cares, it's delicious
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    Like all plant fats (olives and avocados, for example) coconut oil has some health benefits as long as you are not allergic to coconuts, which I am. That means I eat very few things that aren't bakes in my own kitchen these days because coconut oil is the latest "super food".
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Like all plant fats (olives and avocados, for example) coconut oil has some health benefits as long as you are not allergic to coconuts, which I am. That means I eat very few things that aren't bakes in my own kitchen these days because coconut oil is the latest "super food".

"Super foods". LOL. Here's a list of the very best "Super foods" and I don't see coconut oil on it:

http://www.aworkoutroutine.com/superfoods/?awt_l=BV.g9&awt_m=3gv.Upbtrx0ExV5
  • Gotrek1
    Gotrek1 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I keep coconut oil in the bathroom.... I put it in my beard and hair :D