Years trying to lose weight.

Options
2»

Replies

• AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    I think about dieting as if I needed to go out and walk 100 miles. It's a significant undertaking and I'm probably going to be at it for a long time. If I started that walk by sprinting as fast as I could, in reality I would end up exhausted, injured and frustrated very quickly, and I'd end up abandoning the attempt without really making much progress. When you start dieting by dropping your calories to a very low intake, you're trying to sprint.

Losing weight is really more about finding ways to create a small deficit that you can maintain for a long time without negatively impacting your life. In my 100-mile-walk, it's the same as starting off slowly, making sure I ease myself into it on the first day, because I still need to have energy for tomorrow. If I wake up tomorrow and feel like going a little faster, great! I can do that, but I still need to make sure I have energy for the following day. In dieting terms, this means that you should start out slowly and take your calories down little-by-little so you never feel terrible. Dieting is about how long you can stick to it, not how much you can lose in the first few weeks.
  • Prishan22
    Prishan22 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure I am understanding...you have been at that diet for 5 days? Six months?
    In the morning I have one piece of brown bread with1 tsp peanut butter.
    lunch I have 1 bowl of salad ( cucumber/tomatoes/lettuce/salt/olive
    oil 1 tsp)
    dinner : 1/2 chicken breast boiled with 2 cup veg broccoli
    snacks 1 grapefruit / olive with garlic/
    2 times coffee with skim milk 2 tablet stevia

That isn't nearly enough food - no wonder you're tired and frustrated. If indeed you are eating what you said, that's more like 500 calories, and not sustainable.

Log your food here on the "FOOD" page. Try to hit a minimum of 1200 calories and get enough protein and fats - the goals on the food page are GOALS, minimums to hit.

Log everything for a month. If you are consistent, you will lose weight - but don't try to eat 500 calories, you'll crash and it won't work - no nutrition is not good! Your health will suffer.

Thanks my dear friend,I really understand what you're saying,Actually I have very little knowledge about in calorie.that is why I thought it should be better for me less food means fewer calories intake and
    it'll enhance the losing weight .but thanks to you all a lot guys,you just open my eyes. I am going to log onon the "FOOD" page,try to fill up all option and hit a minimum of 1200 calories.thanks for your precious time.:)
  • Prishan22
    Options
    AliceDark wrote: »
    I think about dieting as if I needed to go out and walk 100 miles. It's a significant undertaking and I'm probably going to be at it for a long time. If I started that walk by sprinting as fast as I could, in reality I would end up exhausted, injured and frustrated very quickly, and I'd end up abandoning the attempt without really making much progress. When you start dieting by dropping your calories to a very low intake, you're trying to sprint.

Losing weight is really more about finding ways to create a small deficit that you can maintain for a long time without negatively impacting your life. In my 100-mile-walk, it's the same as starting off slowly, making sure I ease myself into it on the first day, because I still need to have energy for tomorrow. If I wake up tomorrow and feel like going a little faster, great! I can do that, but I still need to make sure I have energy for the following day. In dieting terms, this means that you should start out slowly and take your calories down little-by-little so you never feel terrible. Dieting is about how long you can stick to it, not how much you can lose in the first few weeks.

Dear AliceDark, thank you so much for your insightful comments, really appreciate it.I never try to walk a long walk.But this time surely I'll try it.I know my diet is no right. that's way wanted to review with the third person who could give me non-biased opinions,it's really interesting and very useful experience today I had.thank you so much.
  • ericwhitt
    ericwhitt Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    One thing not mentioned in here, how are you gauging your weight loss progress? For the most part, a scale can let you know your progress, but you get much more accurate details on your progress by recording your measurements. Waist line, Hip size, chest size, arms and thighs. You might not necessarily see the scale dropping, but you will notice your clothes fit better and you see your measurements getting smaller. In theory, the weight should drop as your measurements do, but because of water weight, bloating and pms, weight is going to fluctuate very wildly as you go.
  • Prishan22
    Options
    ericwhitt wrote: »
    One thing not mentioned in here, how are you gauging your weight loss progress? For the most part, a scale can let you know your progress, but you get much more accurate details on your progress by recording your measurements. Waist line, Hip size, chest size, arms and thighs. You might not necessarily see the scale dropping, but you will notice your clothes fit better and you see your measurements getting smaller. In theory, the weight should drop as your measurements do, but because of water weight, bloating and pms, weight is going to fluctuate very wildly as you go.

thanks,yes I never measured the Waist line, Hip size, chest size, arms and thighs..I just weighing myself..I need to keep the diary the way you just said me. thanks again.
  • Mumu190672
    Mumu190672 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Make sure you weigh all your food with a kitchen scale. It is impossible to know how much you eat otherwise.
    For what I understood you are on a diet 5 days a week but forget about it 2 days a week.
    Correct me if I am wrong.
    2 days is enough to destroy all your efforts during the week.
    Mfp tells you how many calories you eat on average each week. Use this information to stay on target.
  • Prishan22
    Options
    Mumu190672 wrote: »
    Make sure you weigh all your food with a kitchen scale. It is impossible to know how much you eat otherwise.
    For what I understood you are on a diet 5 days a week but forget about it 2 days a week.
    Correct me if I am wrong.
    2 days is enough to destroy all your efforts during the week.
    Mfp tells you how many calories you eat on average each week. Use this information to stay on target.
    Hi Mumu190672,
    thanks for your comment,Okay what I understand that I have to keep my diary for seven days. no your are right, I go out on Saturday and Sunday, in two days once I eat out, normally rest of the 5 meal I cooked
    home. But it's better to keep a diary in future.then it would be better understanding actually what's happening with me,thank you for Correcting me. thanks for the reviewes.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    Good luck, you have a good attitude and I think if you use myfitnesspal consistently you'll see the results you want. I hope it goes well for you!
  • Prishan22
    Options
    Good luck, you have a good attitude and I think if you use myfitnesspal consistently you'll see the results you want. I hope it goes well for you!

thank you so much..really appreciated..everyone here organised and wise about health..sometimes it is becoming essential for life..thanks again for your kind comment.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    tracymayo1 wrote: »
    Prishan - you need to use MyFitnessPal and enter your information and let the program give you your goals.
    Then you need to buy a food scale and use it for EVERYTHING that isn't a liquid. do NOT go off of the packaged information as it is often wrong

This is good. Chose to lose 1lb per week, or even 1.5lbs and eat all those calories. Definitely start using a digital food scale to weigh all solid and semi solid food in grams. Use cups and spoons for liquid only. Weigh butter.

Log everything including vegetables, fruit, cooking oil, sauces. Every food and drink that passes your lips, log it. Log individual components of a salad or sandwich. Home cooked meals recipes get added to the recipe builder.
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    I agree with the people who say to get a food scale. You indicated that you have 1 tsp of peanut butter on toast. I find this very unlikely. 1 tsp of peanut butter is an absolutely tiny amount that weighs less than 5 grams. Spread across a piece of toast, you'd barely be able to see the peanut butter. 1 tbsp is still a small amount of peanut butter - but it's an amount that's actually feasible to spread on a piece of toast, and it is three times as much as 1 tsp. (1 tbsp weighs about 14 g.)

I also agree with the people who pointed out that you need to log your food all seven days of the week. If you're eating restaurant food on the weekend, that can be enormous amounts of calories - more calories in a single meal than you're eating all day on one day during the week. It's one thing to maintain a deficit during the week and eat maintenance (i.e. the same number of calories as you burn) on the weekend, but if you splurge on the weekend, you could undo all of your hard work during the week.

Finally, please increase your calorie target for a day to at least 1200 calories for your own health.
  • Prishan22
    Options
    tracymayo1 wrote: »
    Prishan - you need to use MyFitnessPal and enter your information and let the program give you your goals.
    Then you need to buy a food scale and use it for EVERYTHING that isn't a liquid. do NOT go off of the packaged information as it is often wrong

This is good. Chose to lose 1lb per week, or even 1.5lbs and eat all those calories. Definitely start using a digital food scale to weigh all solid and semi solid food in grams. Use cups and spoons for liquid only. Weigh butter.

Log c including vegetables, fruit, cooking oil, sauces. Every food and drink that passes your lips, log it. Log individual components of a salad or sandwich. Home cooked meals recipes get added to the recipe builder.

Dear tracymayo1, thank you so much for your comments.yes trying to log in everything.First time it seems very hard and complicated but not anymore :smiley: ..feel better when I have done it!! thanks to you all for encouraging me my friend..love you all and all the best ..
  • Prishan22
    Options
    Dear SusanMFindlay, thank you so much for your kind comment,
    it's great that when you get a review by the third person, because
    when you're doing wrong,it's very difficult for anyone to find out
    of own wrong! That's why I need you, my friend, to see me with
    your eyes.
    Actually, I got a clear picture of 'weight loss' journey when I
    reached this forum.
    Here I need to clear about my 'peanut butter story'.I jut put 1tsp
    peanut butter in on of the side of bread and rolled the piece of
    bread like a finger and eat it !
    But It's very eye opening for me to talking to you all.
    you have a very clear knowledge about food which I have not,
    thank you so much for your support and showing me the way
    to come out from a dead end .thanks again my friend.

• Prishan22
    Options
    I agree with the people who say to get a food scale. You indicated that you have 1 tsp of peanut butter on toast. I find this very unlikely. 1 tsp of peanut butter is an absolutely tiny amount that weighs less than 5 grams. Spread across a piece of toast, you'd barely be able to see the peanut butter. 1 tbsp is still a small amount of peanut butter - but it's an amount that's actually feasible to spread on a piece of toast, and it is three times as much as 1 tsp. (1 tbsp weighs about 14 g.)

I also agree with the people who pointed out that you need to log your food all seven days of the week. If you're eating restaurant food on the weekend, that can be enormous amounts of calories - more calories in a single meal than you're eating all day on one day during the week. It's one thing to maintain a deficit during the week and eat maintenance (i.e. the same number of calories as you burn) on the weekend, but if you splurge on the weekend, you could undo all of your hard work during the week.

Finally, please increase your calorie target for a day to at least 1200 calories for your own health.

Dear SusanMFindlay, thank you so much for your kind comment,
    it's great that when you get a review by the third person, because
    when you're doing wrong,it's very difficult for anyone to find out
    of own wrong! That's why I need you, my friend, to see me with
    your eyes.
    Actually, I got a clear picture of 'weight loss' journey when I
    reached this forum.
    Here I need to clear about my 'peanut butter story'.I jut put 1tsp
    peanut butter in on of the side of bread and rolled the piece of
    bread like a finger and eat it !
    But It's very eye opening for me to talking to you all.
    you have a very clear knowledge about food which I have not,
    thank you so much for your support and showing me the way
    to come out from a dead end .thanks again my friend.