Interpretting MFP Ads...

Options
Timshel_
Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
Weird stuff sometimes. Post this on my status this morning but thought I would ad visuals. What are they trying to sell? lol. Don't have the Vaseline ad, but you get the idea.
Opened a different browser than usual that does not have adblock and first three ads on here were Vaseline, Some Dove deodorant than looks like a giant *kitten*, and a large breasted woman in a tight t-shirt. Since ads are based on browsing habits it kinda makes me wonder just what the heck I have been surfing! lol. Mind you, this is my work computer. Crazy. Just a quick giggle for the morning. That is all.

61r8otqq9256.png

yuhp3ajy1gsy.png

Replies

• cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    If you opened a different browser (probably IE) then it shouldn't have much if any history. It's probably based on your MFP activity, if that is where you saw the adds.
  • cee134
    Options
    MeganAM89 wrote: »
    I recently looked at wedding bands on chrome (which is what I always use) and now literally ever ad I see on mfp is about wedding ring sets.

I think unless you're already going to a dirty site the ads that you see are based on your internet history. Your computer always knows where you've been.

But only for the browser as they look at your cookies and decide how to advertise. You better believe MFP is selling all your data and also selling advertising.
  • cee134
    Options
    Cookies, cookies, cookies...every time you search for something online, the site you're searching on (and its affiliates) probably set cookies with information about what you were looking for.

There are huge networks of interoperable and independent ad platforms that share this information, and can use these cookies to present you with information based on prior searches (as well as incomplete and completed purchase). There are also some platforms that actively store information, based on clicking links and other direct activities, then use that information to "retarget" you for subsequent advertising.
  • Timshel_
    Options
    Yeah, I know how cookies and the like work, but I certainly haven't search for Vaseline, deodorant, and busty ladies at work. It was just an odd coincidence of general ads, but a funny collection. :)
  • ScottyNoHotty
    ScottyNoHotty Posts: 1,955 Member
    Options
    Mine links to Amazon, so whatever i was shopping for comes up on the feed....try explaining to your boss why there are pictures of *kitten* on your computer....
  • kxbrown27
    kxbrown27 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I don't know why I get ads for ladies shaving products or Volvos. Two things I have never searched for.
  • GreenGoddess22
    GreenGoddess22 Posts: 3,821 Member
    Options
    Michelob Ultra and some ethnic hair treatment for me. Can't remember a time I've searched for either lol.
  • Sinistrous
    Sinistrous Posts: 5,589 Member
    Options
    1e89b6613acb9ae2843e57367e0fb9b7.pngd4ae0ab5561e6880095d4435823a80ee.png1515a02e057bb78efbc18bf4af4c1bfd.png0179b4fe39866b7c94ef5bd9eadd6722.png

....they don't know me AT ALL.
  • Timshel_
    Options
    Sinistrous wrote: »
    1515a02e057bb78efbc18bf4af4c1bfd.png

lol. That's it! I got the Vaseline, The *kitten* deodorant, then the busty babe. Crazy innuendo.

• thisonetimeatthegym
    thisonetimeatthegym Posts: 1,977 Member
    Options
    Timshel_ wrote: »
    Yeah, I know how cookies and the like work, but I certainly haven't search for Vaseline, deodorant, and busty ladies at work. It was just an odd coincidence of general ads, but a funny collection. :)

She was pretty busty. Good for her.
  • Thisnameischosen_
    Thisnameischosen_ Posts: 619 Member
    Options
    Right now I'm getting something for vitamin milk for children and ads for Iceland (frozen food shop in the uk) I haven't searched for either of them (I didn't even know that milk existed.. i like the sound of it though and will probably buy some now.. seems like a good idea.)
  • cee134
    Options
    I block ads. I forgot they show up on websites.
  • Timshel_
    Options
    cee134 wrote: »
    I block ads. I forgot they show up on websites.

Exactly. I do as well, but I opened a browser I use for testing only and forgot I was in it when I went to MFP. Ads....ads EVERYWHERE!
  • thisonetimeatthegym
    thisonetimeatthegym Posts: 1,977 Member
    Options
    These are the ads that show up:

4uzyukrnt1hc.jpg

zusihrn98lzj.jpeg

• Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,497 Member
    Options
    KY%20Drive.jpg

espectaculares-16.jpg

Screen+shot+2010-04-23+at+11.51.55+AM.png