What is your weight loss pattern

Options
So I have noticed a trend with the scale and am hoping to hear your experience. I will bounce around in a 3-5lb range for around 1-2 weeks then drop a few pounds all at once. This is now my normal pattern with losing.

Have you noticed any patterns with how your body loses weight?

Replies

• adamyovanovich
    adamyovanovich Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Thats how i work. I lose 3-5 pounds, then i gain back a 1 or 2 in water and sit there for 1-3 weeks, then i slowly get down to my lowest, then shed another 3-5 pounds.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Mostly whooshes. Sometimes a bit more consistent. Sometimes a tiny loss then two weeks later a whoosh. There's really not a reliable pattern for me! I always always bounce up a couple pounds a couple days after a whoosh though, before the next whoosh that takes me to a new low.
  • ashjongfit
    ashjongfit Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    SCoil123 wrote: »
    So I have noticed a trend with the scale and am hoping to hear your experience. I will bounce around in a 3-5lb range for around 1-2 weeks then drop a few pounds all at once. This is now my normal pattern with losing.

This is the same way I lose weight!
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    For the first 50 pounds, I was consistent, 4-5 days at the same weight - then BAM down 1-2. I have since increased calories in an attempt to ease into maintenance and it's all over the place. Either I've landed on maintenance for my current weight and need to cut back to hit my goal, or I might be losing ever so slooooooowly.
  • PamWOhio
    PamWOhio Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    My pattern is I usually stall for 2-3 days then lose a pound or so and then a couple more days of 1/2lb or so. At least I have never gone up except for a half a lb now and then but it is always gone the next day. The 3 day stalls are annoying enough. I need to stop weighing every day but I CAN'T!
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    Mostly whooshes. Sometimes a bit more consistent. Sometimes a tiny loss then two weeks later a whoosh. There's really not a reliable pattern for me! I always always bounce up a couple pounds a couple days after a whoosh though, before the next whoosh that takes me to a new low.

This is what happens for me too.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Thats how i work. I lose 3-5 pounds, then i gain back a 1 or 2 in water and sit there for 1-3 weeks, then i slowly get down to my lowest, then shed another 3-5 pounds.

That is the pattern for me as well. Take a dive in weight, then bounce back a little then close to maintain for 3 weeks gradually getting close to the lower weight I was at then another dip in weight suddenly. I'm about due for a "woosh".

If I graph it as a moving average over large timescales though it looks like a pretty steady loss.
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »
    Want to see something cool? Even without doing any sort of averaging to smooth the data if you zoom out far enough even the most "plateau" looking weightloss ends up looking like steady weightloss if you are consistant.

here is my weightloss over the last 2 weeks:
    jrz5rmrp59t2.png

and here it is over the full 4 months:

5jrg44j8dh4l.png

Takes time to see that your loss is actually pretty steady. People say weight loss isn't linear, but they mean that on short time scales....on long time scales in my experience if you are consistant and track well it actually is very linear.

If I plot it as a 7-day moving average with a trend line that is even more clear
    e4qsbpu0h4ks.png

and from that I can tell I'm due for a "woosh" so I'm expecting to suddenly drop like 3 or so pounds in the next week. Will see if that happens.

I use trendweight to watch my trend lines and love it. It helps me refocus when I get discouraged with stalls.
  • Intentional_Me
    Intentional_Me Posts: 336 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options

Yep this is me too! I'll go a few weeks with no loss and then have like 3 awesome loss days in a row!
  • Mumu190672
    Mumu190672 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Since I started logging my weight 3rd August, I noticed that my weight is the same for 16 days then I keep losing for 13 days and its repeats.
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options

I see the same thing except that my "bouncing" range isn't quite as big as yours - maybe 2-3 pounds (unless I have a really high sodium day or am PMSing).
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    No pattern, just erratic flailing in about a 6lb range. I'd be lost without trend lines.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Steady weight loss Monday - Friday, big spike of water weight after a saturday refeed then back down from Monday.
  • Charliecatesq
    Charliecatesq Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I tend to have a drop on a Fri/Sat of 1- 2lbs then ill go up a few lbs in the week then back to where i started then a drop. I weigh myself everyday but its nice to see the scale going down weekly in general.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    It's how it worked for me too. I only lost the week after my period.
  • subakwa
    subakwa Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    All over the place! Feeer whooshes now as I get lighter, the big bump (which was actually only a pound on) was two weeks away in holiday andnit whooshed off once home.

I am now hitting a pattern of stalls and micro-losses. The rate has really slowed, so I need to think about whether I am happy with that (ave about 0.5lb a week down from 2lb per week) or if I look to reduce intake more.

rnc5n6rzi3wk.png
  • jprewitt1
    jprewitt1 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Spirograph-Outline-2015050537.png
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    For the first several months of my weight loss journey, which began in January 2016, I steadily lost about 2-3 lb every week. Beginning about 2 months ago I started experiencing "whoosh" events, in which my weight would trend up during the work week while my calorie deficit continued to accumulate, then whoosh away on the weekend when I got more active. The whooshing away was a little greater than the trending up, so I did lose weight, but only about 1-1.2 lb per week. The one real trend I noticed was that up-during-the-work-week trend. I figured that cortisol from stress was the culprit. And then, something changed. My work schedule is variable. Some times I am asked to work 50+ hours. During those weeks, I don't try to exercise much. This week I'm being asked to work 40 hours, in fact it is hang out browsing the internet for most of those 40 hours, and I have several extra hours to myself when I get home in the evening. I have been using those hours to do 30 minutes of hard cardio work on my treadmill after my dinner and snacks. I've done that Monday night and Tuesday night. I weigh each morning. Tuesday morning I measured a loss of 1.2 lb from the previous day. Wednesday morning I again measured a loss of 1.2 from the previous day. I don't know if it's the light work load or the hard work out, but I seem to have overcome the cortisol issue. I'm not losing too much weight. As I closely track my calorie deficit and net calories each day, I know that my actual weight is still 0.33% higher than my weight should be if all my record-keeping has been accurate.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

That's pretty standard once you're out of the initial weight loss phase...