Dealing with uncertainty

When I was losing weight I would go out of my way to avoid eating stuff I didn't know down to an exact calorie count. Now I'm trying to maintain its growing old. I just wanted to microwave some leftover Chinese for lunch. I guessed on the rice part and weighed my orange chicken. There is no way 3 chicken chunks is 430 calories. I am angry now. Anyone real with this have advice?

Replies

• Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Yeah, its a bore. I just guesstimate by going a bit high on the calories. C'est le vie.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Don't get angry about chicken...
  • Gamliela
    How big were the pieces of chicken and did they have he skin on or not, dark or light meat. All this can vary the cals amount, u know?
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,179 Member
    The sauce on the chicken could easily, and orange sauce is sweet, be mostly corn syrup.
  • Gamliela
    Sauces are the bomb, in more than one way! I never know what they out in those, it could be good or it could be msg and corn syrup with orange food colouring, Its so hard to ask the employees of food shops what is in their sauces,
    Once I had a lady bring me the pail the sauce came in and read the ingredients with me. Dextrose and palm oil were eye catching. So difficult to know what caloric value to put on it.

I'd just go for using the database here on mfp, usually I can find something thats similar, and just give it your worst, I mean, highest estimate and try to eat light evening meal. I know its difficult, traveling is a mine field for me because I never really know what I'm eating with sauces and soups, stews etc.
  • emjam99
    emjam99 Posts: 92 Member
    It makes me angry too. I've literally stopped eating red meat because I'll never eat a 4oz hamburger or steak and feel satisfied so I just stick to veggie/tuna burgers. Or the thought of ever having apple pie because it's like 500 calories for one piece so I'll microwave an apple cinnamon nutrigrain bar and put lowfat ice cream on it
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,634 Member
    when i eat 4 or 5 oz ground beef patti, or steak it's filling, I think because i have baked potato & large serving of veggies with it
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    I'm sensing a fair bit of anxiety OP, going by this thread and your previous posts. Relax and live a little, just keep a close eye on your scales/weight :wink:
  • DisruptedMatrix
    DisruptedMatrix Posts: 130 Member
    Is the chicken cooked in oil? I know one potato is 100-200 pounds but a large frys is 510 cal
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Guesstimate on the slightly higher side. Don't worry about 1 meal or 1 day, think of things in terms of weeks or months.

Keep weighing yourself so that you stay within your "ideal" weight range.