What am I doing wrong? Can someone take a look at my food diary entry for today?

Options
2»

Replies

• Cbestinme
    Cbestinme Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Sounds great, my egg scrambled is really more of a veggie scramble with an egg to hold some of veggies together :)

In the list of snacks you gave
    1 serving (1/4 cup, 30 g) plain roasted almonds is 170 calories. ....very helpful in between or before meals
    1 serving many cheese types 80-100 calories

Just seen you are giving calories per pound, are you eating a pound (per day?) just curious.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Do you weigh solids you eat and measure liquids you consume? If not you may be eating 10-50%+ more than you think you are.
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    I agree with Aaron. You're hungry because your calorie goal is too aggressive. I suspect you've asked MFP to set you up to lose 2 pounds/week, and you're not overweight enough to warrant losing at that rate. Aim for 1 pound/week - or even 0.5 pounds/week. That'll give you a higher calorie allowance every day. Your body won't fight back with extreme hunger. And, overall, you'll be more successful. Also, if you have the occasional maintenance day (because of PMS or a special occasion or whatever), it's not the end of the world. All a maintenance day does is push back your loss by one day.
  • a45cal
    a45cal Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Others have mentioned this, but I wanted to hit on it a little more in depth: You seem to be using quite a bit of olive oil and butter, and blowing a lot of calories on it.

For instance, on Tuesday, your lunch included a 4 oz piece of salmon at 100 calories and a tablespoon of butter also at 100 calories. Those two things are not equally filling, but they're reducing your calorie allotment by the same amount. You might be best served by cutting down on things that are only there to add flavor in order to get in more food that will actually be filling.

Your eating style seems to be split amongst three meals and snacks. As an exercise to help you figure out what does and doesn't fit in for the day, perhaps try taking your daily calorie allotment before exercise and dividing by four meals. Then when you plan a particular meal, try to keep the total calories for that meal at or around that number, and switch out anything that's too calorie heavy for something else where you need to.

Once you've really paid attention to the calorie loads of particular foods for a while, it becomes easier to figure out when you can't have something without going over, or at the least need to have less of it.
  • aliciamarieUF
    aliciamarieUF Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I agree with Aaron. You're hungry because your calorie goal is too aggressive. I suspect you've asked MFP to set you up to lose 2 pounds/week, and you're not overweight enough to warrant losing at that rate. Aim for 1 pound/week - or even 0.5 pounds/week. That'll give you a higher calorie allowance every day. Your body won't fight back with extreme hunger. And, overall, you'll be more successful. Also, if you have the occasional maintenance day (because of PMS or a special occasion or whatever), it's not the end of the world. All a maintenance day does is push back your loss by one day.

I actually have it set at a pound a week, and it allows me to consume 1,300 calories a day. :neutral:
  • aliciamarieUF
    Options
    a45cal wrote: »
    Others have mentioned this, but I wanted to hit on it a little more in depth: You seem to be using quite a bit of olive oil and butter, and blowing a lot of calories on it.

For instance, on Tuesday, your lunch included a 4 oz piece of salmon at 100 calories and a tablespoon of butter also at 100 calories. Those two things are not equally filling, but they're reducing your calorie allotment by the same amount. You might be best served by cutting down on things that are only there to add flavor in order to get in more food that will actually be filling.

Your eating style seems to be split amongst three meals and snacks. As an exercise to help you figure out what does and doesn't fit in for the day, perhaps try taking your daily calorie allotment before exercise and dividing by four meals. Then when you plan a particular meal, try to keep the total calories for that meal at or around that number, and switch out anything that's too calorie heavy for something else where you need to.

Once you've really paid attention to the calorie loads of particular foods for a while, it becomes easier to figure out when you can't have something without going over, or at the least need to have less of it.

These are all really good suggestions...thank you.
  • sllm1
    sllm1 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    I will reiterate what many have said - that your calorie goal is too aggressive, and that's why you're having trouble staying on track and with hunger.

There's nothing wrong with setting your goal at 1/2 pound per week. If you set it too aggressively and can't do it, you won't lose anything in the long run. So what's wrong with going a little slower so that your weight loss plan is sustainable?
  • chezinkflo
    chezinkflo Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    re: scrambled eggs versus Boiled or poached ... Scrambled egg usually has butter added, boiled or poached don't therefore less fat and less calories. Given the amount of oils and fats that the op is using each day, anywhere she can cut down has to be a help.
  • leejoyce31
    leejoyce31 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    chezinkflo wrote: »
    re: scrambled eggs versus Boiled or poached ... Scrambled egg usually has butter added, boiled or poached don't therefore less fat and less calories. Given the amount of oils and fats that the op is using each day, anywhere she can cut down has to be a help.
    I suppose she could scramble using butter cooking spray.
  • janekana
    janekana Posts: 151 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options

It's definitely possible to cook scrambled eggs without butter, especially if you use a non-stick pan. Usually the butter/oil's for ensuring that the scrambled egg doesn't stick to the pan most times, there's not much difference in taste with or without either.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    janekana wrote: »

It's definitely possible to cook scrambled eggs without butter, especially if you use a non-stick pan. Usually the butter/oil's for ensuring that the scrambled egg doesn't stick to the pan most times, there's not much difference in taste with or without either.

You can also make them in the microwave without oil. I don't know if they would taste that great, but you can do it.
  • liftorgohome
    liftorgohome Posts: 25,455 Member
    Options
    Try egg whites with a couple of regular eggs added in. Then eat with chicken or add ketchup or hot sauce. Then nonfat yogurt 1 cup for mid morning snack. Then chicken for lunch, then 1 cup yogurt afternoon, then a healthy dinner like tacos. Same meals every day, but varied slightly. Also you can reduce carbs with whole wheat lowfat bread.
  • aliciamarieUF
    Options
    I actually don't even use butter in my eggs. I use a tiny bit of olive oil. My issue tends to be when I make butternut squash with butter, salmon with butter, or using loads of olive oil when I make my veggies. I picked up that bad habit living in Italy. Has anyone tried the coconut oil cooking spray? Is it any good?
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,338 Member
    Options
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »
    Well...for todays entry you ate 2154 calories. Your goal was 1200 and you gained 341 calories from the exercise you logged. So you overate from your goal by 613 calories net. Not sure what your goal was set on (how much deficit) but that is pretty far off from your goal.

I don't know your stats so I can't really try to esitmate your TDEE to know what that is like in comparison to what you ate...but its clear you are eating more than you set your goal to and I'm not sure why you are.

As for what you are eating that doesn't matter so much for weight loss, you eat what fills you up and you eat enough protein and thats about that. Looks to me like you are getting sufficient protein so what you ate to get there not a big deal. 2150 calories though might be a bit much if you are looking to lose weight.

What is your age height and current weight?

Yup, you ate way too much.