Not losing weight

Options
I used to weigh a balanced 130 and im 5'7. But i got into a car accident , my jaw was broken I had emergency surgery and was barley eating for about 3 months but gained about 70 pounds and am compleatly unable to lose it, i have no energy, i am excersizing 3 times a week and cut my calories from 2000 down to 1200 or less a day... what do i do iv been trying for 2 months and have only lost 1 pound....

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    How are you measuring your calorie intake?
  • EmmaMcwhinnie
    EmmaMcwhinnie Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Don't worry :) you are doing great, one pound is one pound less than a month ago.
    Have you upped your water intake? Are you doing steps every day? How balanced are your meals? Could you maybe swap out something for a healthier option?
    If you think your doing everything right, get to a doctor, they could help xx
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    When you were "barely eating" were you barely moving too.

Has your med team ruled out any other injuries or oedema

You can't put on 70lbs without ingesting adequate calories ..mass is not created out of nothing

Check your logging, weigh everything move more

0cw7c2woesqn.jpg
  • gillie80
    gillie80 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    All of the above.

Have you any idea how much 1lb of fat is? Pick up a 1lb bag of flour or sugar and hold it for a bit; that'll give you an idea of the weight you're now not carrying about with you. losing 1lb of fat is a big deal, well done you. Follow the flowchart Sued0nim posted and see what it tells you.

But cut yourself some slack. Your body has been through significant trauma and needs to recover. That can take some time. Even if you only lose 1lb every 2 months for a while, it's still a loss. I sometimes struggle to lose for months on end. I've got a medical condition, the meds for which make it more difficult to lose weight. It's taken me 7 months to lose 2 stones, running 3 times a week, eating healthily and logging everything. I should be stick thin by now lol.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    What's the timescale here? How long since the injury?

Don't panic, you'll get there in the end
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Something doesn't add up. You were barely able to eat but gained 70lbs in 3 months. That means 3000 calories over maintenance each day and nearly 6lb weight gain per week.
  • CurlyCockney
    CurlyCockney Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    Something doesn't add up. You were barely able to eat but gained 70lbs in 3 months. That means 3000 calories over maintenance each day and nearly 6lb weight gain per week.

I haven't been able to eat for a month now due to surgery, and have put on 7lb. However, by "eat" I mean "chew proper food". I've had wayyyyyy over my calories by putting things into the blender and sucking it through a straw! I've kinda used my surgery as an excuse to feel sorry for myself and have blended all sorts of stuff that I don't usually have (like birthday cake and choccies!) and thoroughly enjoyed it LOL! Maybe you've done something similar OP? Follow the chart, you'll start losing I promise! Hope your recovery has gone well.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    Options
    Also I'm wondering if she still has some oedema from the surgery - that's why I'm wondering about the timescale. I.e. Has she actually put on 70lb of fat or is some of it swelling?
  • gillie80
    gillie80 Posts: 214 Member
    Options

I haven't been able to eat for a month now due to surgery, and have put on 7lb. However, by "eat" I mean "chew proper food". I've had wayyyyyy over my calories by putting things into the blender and sucking it through a straw! I've kinda used my surgery as an excuse to feel sorry for myself and have blended all sorts of stuff that I don't usually have (like birthday cake and choccies!) and thoroughly enjoyed it LOL! Maybe you've done something similar OP? Follow the chart, you'll start losing I promise! Hope your recovery has gone well.

This made me chuckle, and a little bit jealous lol.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    Options
    What is blended birthday cake even like?

Does smashing teacakes off your head make them easier to eat, too?
  • CurlyCockney
    Options

Haha the cake was delish! My friend made it and it was massive so I didn't want to miss out - I blended it with a little orange juice. And yes to smashed teacakes, that's how you peel the choc off!
  • trigden1991
    Options

7lbs in a month is different to 70lbs in 3 months though. If you are drinking cake then you know where your problem is.

That aside, I'm fairly sure that when recovering from surgery you should be eating at maintenance or slightly above to facilitate recovery.
  • CurlyCockney
    Options

7lbs in a month is different to 70lbs in 3 months though. If you are drinking cake then you know where your problem is.

That aside, I'm fairly sure that when recovering from surgery you should be eating at maintenance or slightly above to facilitate recovery.

Oh I agree, I quoted you because I wanted to share it with OP in case she's perhaps thinking that blended food isn't as calorific.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options

This gave me the laugh.. :)

Off topic for a second..I have a really good tasting birthday cake protein powder.. I bet that real birthday cake tastes 100% better than that.. LOL

I was wondering too if she was blending all sort of things like ice cream, cake, cookies, and things like this too! It does not take much to make a very caloric shake..
  • CattOfTheGarage
    Options
    If you are drinking cake then you know where your problem is.

Have you never seen "Secret Eaters"?

"I just can't understand what the problem is!" *eats 6-pack of sausage rolls as a snack*

We are none of us as mindful as we think we are.
  • trigden1991
    Options

Oh I agree, I quoted you because I wanted to share it with OP in case she's perhaps thinking that blended food isn't as calorific.

If only that were true ;) Blended cakes and ice cream here we come.
  • CurlyCockney
    Options

If only that were true ;) Blended cakes and ice cream here we come.

I wouldn't recommend the blended pork chop, roast potatoes and broccoli <gags>

3j9hysf5firy.jpg
  • CattOfTheGarage
    Options
    That sounds like it would make a decent soup
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,024 Member
    Options

Birthday cake shake at Steak and Shake. Deeeeeelishus.
  • melted_
    melted_ Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    How are you measuring your calorie intake?

Yes everyday