Uterine fibroids and big bellies

Options
I have large uterine fibroids, or at least I did the last time I had a thorough exam (about 5 years ago). I suspect they are part of why it's so difficult for me to get a flat stomach. I don't see this mentioned much in our flat belly discussions often so I thought I'd put out some info.

From: https://www.womenshealth.gov/publications/our-publications/fact-sheet/uterine-fibroids.html

About 20 percent to 80 percent of women develop fibroids by the time they reach age 50. Fibroids are most common in women in their 40s and early 50s. Not all women with fibroids have symptoms. Women who do have symptoms often find fibroids hard to live with. Some have pain and heavy menstrual bleeding. Fibroids also can put pressure on the bladder, causing frequent urination, or the rectum, causing rectal pressure. Should the fibroids get very large, they can cause the abdomen (stomach area) to enlarge, making a woman look pregnant.

Age. Fibroids become more common as women age, especially during the 30s and 40s through menopause. After menopause, fibroids usually shrink.
Family history. Having a family member with fibroids increases your risk. If a woman's mother had fibroids, her risk of having them is about three times higher than average.
Ethnic origin. African-American women are more likely to develop fibroids than white women.
Obesity. Women who are overweight are at higher risk for fibroids. For very heavy women, the risk is two to three times greater than average.
Eating habits. Eating a lot of red meat (e.g., beef) and ham is linked with a higher risk of fibroids. Eating plenty of green vegetables seems to protect women from developing fibroids.

Replies

• Cbestinme
    Cbestinme Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Very useful information thanks for sharing
  • fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    I have 2 fibroids (7cm and 5cm) I get all the symptoms. I'm not sure if they're big enough to make my stomach stick out. I do believe after changing my diet and exercising the symptoms have slightly improved (especially my moods) but I just can't wait for the menopause now.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I think the reason this doesn't get mentioned when people are looking to have a flat stomach is because most people asking still have relatively high body fat. The first step to having a flat stomach is having fairly low body fat and adequate lean mass. If those are both achieved and the stomach still pokes out (like the bottom of mine does even though I have very low fat), it's an issue with internal organs. My abdominal muscles are very strong, but the mass of organs and the way my uterus tilts causes a bump at the bottom.
  • Cbestinme
    Cbestinme Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Very informative thanks for sharing!