Where to go from here

I've made some good progress in the past few months. I've lost about 55 pounds in around 8 months, and started being physically active every single day. The weight loss is still going okay, and I'm only 5lbs from my goal of not being overweight according to BMI. The thing is, I am considering shifting gears from deficit to maintenance a little early so that I can start doing some strength training which I feel will help me improve my speed and endurance in running. My question is should finish out my weight loss deal, or go ahead and move into strength training and changing my body's composition? On the one hand I am starting to feel good about how I look and I feel, something I haven't for a long long time, and would like to go a little further on the fitness journey irrespective of weight. On the other hand, am I crapping out on my goal when I'm super close because of some combination of fear of success and fear of failure? Thoughts?

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Why not both? Add strength training now but continue eating in a deficit. I'd probably reduce the deficit. You could reduce it to something like 10% or a half pound a week and slowly lose those last pounds.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,732 Member
    I would definitely start lifting now. Per your post, you should definitely focus on this: "would like to go a little further on the fitness journey irrespective of weight" and disregard this: "am I crapping out on my goal when I'm super close because of some combination of fear of success and fear of failure?".

You're making great progress! Just keep going and don't let any of those negative thoughts creep in.
  • singletrackmtbr
    singletrackmtbr Posts: 644 Member
    I third that. You can do both. jemhh is spot on.