Nervous about traveling and eating healthy

I agreed to be a chaperone for my 6th graders class trip to Atlanta. I'm at the mercy of where they choose to stop. It looks like food courts, Varsity Restaurant, and Golden Corral. I'm worried I'll go over my calories and carbs because I won't be able to accurately track everything. Any advice?

Replies

• Cbestinme
    Cbestinme Posts: 397 Member
    Hmmm. Well have you been on mfp for a while to get a feel for what foods make you feel more satisfied or full? If you have mfp on your phone you could log as you go about your day. Mac and cheese, etc etc are in mfp database. Just keep logging what you eat. Did this answer your question?
  • Hamsibian
    Hamsibian Posts: 1,388 Member
    If you can, look at the menus of restaurants online to make choices that fit your goals. Call some restaurants in advance to see if they can be accommodating - most are. Pack as much of your own food as possible, and stock up whenever you see a grocery store or co-op - don't be embarrassed about eating your own food! If people ask questions, just say you're eating certain foods for health reasons (you don't have to go into detail). Also, go easy on yourself. You're not going to be perfect while traveling, but you can always come back to it.
  • PennWalker
    PennWalker Posts: 554 Member
    edited October 2016
    Have you checked those chains online? Some of them have calorie counts.

You could always buy some protein shakes and take them with you. They don't need to be refrigerated so they work well for travel emergency food. Atkins makes one that is 160 calories (I think) wth 15 G of protein and 1 G of sugar -- it tastes better than SlimFast. Drink one of those and have a food court salad and you have a meal. Good luck and enjoy the trip.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Eat the same type of food you normally eat. If you eat eggs for breakfast, order eggs. If you have a salad for lunch, order salad. If you eat chicken for dinner, order chicken. Watch your portion sizes, even if it means throwing out some of it or sharing with someone. Order dressings & sauces on the side. Avoid hi calorie foods you don't eat at home, such as fries, extra bread, or whatever it might be. It won't be perfect, but it will keep you close.
  • CMNVA
    CMNVA Posts: 733 Member
    When I went to Walt Disney World back in 2012, I was determined NOT to gain weight. My previous trips, I usually gorged myself on all the great snacks and food. The last time, though was different. I ordered what I wanted but I ate very normal portions, fairly small. I may have had to waste some food but I tried to keep my portions to what they would be while at home. I didn't eat 3 desserts a day, maybe just 3 during the week. And it the park, I walked, walked, walked, and walked superfast between attractions and got Fastpasses for my family while they were on a ride that I didn't want to go on (rather than sitting on a bench).

That trip, I actually LOST 5 lbs. It can be done as I ate 90% of my meals out. Just pick what you want but control your portions.
  • ericwhitt
    ericwhitt Posts: 87 Member
    The biggest problem you're going to face is most restaurants are very high in sodium, so you might notice some water gains and think it was worse than it really was.
  • Trish1c
    Trish1c Posts: 549 Member
    :Also remember a trip generally involves more walking so you will get additional exercise. Just make the healthiest choices you can. Perhaps pack some healthier choices -- bars, fruit etc. Bring a small cooler / insulated lunch bag.