Knee issue

Options
2»

Replies

• serapel
    serapel Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    I am new to weight training (about 3 months now). I wasn't aware of having a knee problem previously, but once I started working I began to notice one was a little tender. Now there are certain exercises like a leg press that I'm afraid to go heavier on because of the pain in my knee, even though my leg muscles could definitely handle more weight. So am I at the end of the road on those exercises, or would a knee brace/wrap help?

if it hurts, don't do it...not worth it in my opinion. Do alternative exercises.

Barbell hip thrust is awesome for but and legs.
  • JulieSHelms
    JulieSHelms Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    Update:: got the x-ray back--it's arthritis, not bad but there. Doctor's orders is if it hurts then do not do it, so no wraps or braces.

Today I had the trainer show me some alternatives because the leg press and quad machines hurt my knee. Just as some of you suggested, he went right to squats. Probably because I am brand new to them, doing them freestyle (??term for just standing there? Sorry, just learning all this terminology) hurt the knee I suspect because I've got form issues. But he showed me a few different ways to do squats with the Smith Machine and then dead lifts with the Smith Machine. They felt really good! So I guess I'll do them that way till I get strong enough to do them with no assistance.

Any other suggestions for especially quads? (It's not that squats aren't going to kill me enough--I just like variety. :smile: )

@serapel I looked up on YouTube to see what barbell hip thrusts are. I go to Planet Fitness and they don't have the big barbells...any chance this is adaptable to the Smith Machine or some other way?
  • awolf2011
    awolf2011 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Since I have arthritis in my knees too, I started using KT tape on both of them. I sleep in it and then wear it for my morning workout. I sometimes wear it throughout the day. It really helps a lot. I also now know that I need to keep stretching out my knees once I'm done with a workout. We do a lot of squats and it actually feels pretty good.
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    Listen to the advice to go see a dr. I injured my knee doing the C25k (very overweight) and fractured my tibia AND did something to my knee. I went for X-rays but I didn't go for my MRI. That was 6 years ago and I still have knee pain sometimes. I can't do squats, jumping jacks or lunges. I'm able to walk 3 miles consistently with no pain but thats about it.
  • piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    I had ACL replacement years ago which lead to arthritis in my right knee. PT's and Drs all recommended strengthening the hamstrings and glutes (posterior chain) prior to doing squats or leg press. They had me on a bike 3x a week and increasing the resistance each week. Made a huge difference.

Also, after all the above I got excellent feedback on my form when I started squatting. It's taken a while to get to the point I could squat pain free but it took a lot of work getting the proper form down, even dropping back down to just the bar and working my way back up.
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    my son has arthritis in his knee, and his PT started him on 3 minutes on an exercise bike, then worked up to 5, and they're gradually working up further. maybe talk to your doctor or PT about doing just a little to start.

and i wonder about your doctor. i started out doing 20 minutes on a bike and my knee hurt all the time, so i'm thinking it's not that uncommon.