Protien Shakes - Dare I ask?

Some people love them, some hate them. I am on the team of "love" them... although I couldn't actually tell you a good-factual reason why. I started drinking them because my doctor suggested it when I started eating "clean" in order to get all the nutrients I needed (by clean I mean gluten-dairy free). I like the way they taste and I like the convenience... as eating something solid after a work out is HARD!!!

My real question is this: I work out 2x a day - once in the morning and once in the evening. Both are fairly intense for about 30 minutes each. I typically drink a shake after each work out. I've been noticing my protein intake is typically 2-2.5x the "suggested" intake each day. Do you think I should stop drinking so much protein shake to reduce it or what? I've had success eating the way I do - losing 51lbs in a year... so maybe it's fine. I guess I am just trying to find ways to improve my macros...

FACT: I cannot even fathom not eating some sort of meat/protein at every meal - so if the protein needs to be reduced, it'd have to be the shakes....

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,219 Member
    Most protein shakes are rarely dairy free and some are not gluten free. Dairy has actually been shown to speed weight loss.

When you say your protein is 2x the "suggested" intake what does that mean in grams for you? How much do you weight? MFP's protein suggestion is low.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    usmcmp wrote: »
    Most protein shakes are rarely dairy free and some are not gluten free. Dairy has actually been shown to speed weight loss.

When you say your protein is 2x the "suggested" intake what does that mean in grams for you? How much do you weight? MFP's protein suggestion is low.

Vega, the brand that I usually use, is dairy-free for sure and I'm pretty sure it is gluten-free as well. It's probably not the only one out there.
  • usmcmp

Vega, the brand that I usually use, is dairy-free for sure and I'm pretty sure it is gluten-free as well. It's probably not the only one out there.

You're right that there are vegan protein shakes. That's why I said most. Vegan protein is a fairly small corner of the protein market.
  • janejellyroll

You're right that there are vegan protein shakes. That's why I said most. Vegan protein is a fairly small corner of the protein market.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding the point of your post -- I thought you were questioning whether OP's shake was actually dairy- and gluten-free.
  • usmcmp

Maybe I'm misunderstanding the point of your post -- I thought you were questioning whether OP's shake was actually dairy- and gluten-free.

The point of my post was actually to figure out what her protein intake was compared to her weight since she wants to know if she's consuming too much.
  • janejellyroll

The point of my post was actually to figure out what her protein intake was compared to her weight since she wants to know if she's consuming too much.

Got it, sorry for my misunderstanding.
  • usmcmp

Got it, sorry for my misunderstanding.

Understandable. I realize now that starting out by pointing out most shakes may not fit her definition of clean could easily make people miss the questions I asked.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    I'm not sure why your doctor would suggest a protein shake to make sure you're getting all of your nutrients...it's just protein...if you're getting enough in your diet then you don't need a supplement for it.

I honestly don't know how dairy and gluten free = clean either. I eat what most people would consider a pretty "clean" diet...I eat dairy and gluten...I don't get it.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Some people love them, some hate them. I am on the team of "love" them... although I couldn't actually tell you a good-factual reason why. I started drinking them because my doctor suggested it when I started eating "clean" in order to get all the nutrients I needed (by clean I mean gluten-dairy free). I like the way they taste and I like the convenience... as eating something solid after a work out is HARD!!!

My real question is this: I work out 2x a day - once in the morning and once in the evening. Both are fairly intense for about 30 minutes each. I typically drink a shake after each work out. I've been noticing my protein intake is typically 2-2.5x the "suggested" intake each day. Do you think I should stop drinking so much protein shake to reduce it or what? I've had success eating the way I do - losing 51lbs in a year... so maybe it's fine. I guess I am just trying to find ways to improve my macros...

FACT: I cannot even fathom not eating some sort of meat/protein at every meal - so if the protein needs to be reduced, it'd have to be the shakes....

For me, the 'suggested' amount of protein according to the USDA is a crock of crap. 56 grams/day is recommended for men, less for women. In my opinion, that's not enough. I try to get at least 1g/lb of lean body mass. I'm currently at around 12% body fat, and I weigh 181 lbs. That's 159.28g of protein a day because I am trying to slowly build muscle and lose fat at the same time. I'm not in a huge deficit, maybe 100 calories a day most days so the fat slowly disappears and muscle is building at a faster rate. So I make sure I get at least 159g/day, and eat more if I want if there are calories left. The extra really doesn't promote more muscle growth, but it takes longer to digest and keeps me from being hungry spending my extra calories on carbs or sweets.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I'm not sure why your doctor would suggest a protein shake to make sure you're getting all of your nutrients...it's just protein...if you're getting enough in your diet then you don't need a supplement for it.

I honestly don't know how dairy and gluten free = clean either. I eat what most people would consider a pretty "clean" diet...I eat dairy and gluten...I don't get it.

I'd say it's because most doctors receive absolutely 0 hours of training on diet and nutrition, instead being advised to "refer to a dietitian".

I've seen doctors offices who have partnered up with all kind of ridiculous crap (herbalife for example), or suggesting ridiculous crap (like Dukan diet) simply because they align with the physicians personal beliefs. And because it comes from a doctor? Well, why question anything at all!

I also find it strange that OP would consider gluten and dairy free "clean", but perhaps she means she's cut out processed foods and is eating more whole-unprocessed food sources AND cutting out two things she knows are causing digestive stress? I can only imagine...
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,179 Member
    If your intense workout is cardio, the 2-2.5x of suggested protein is wasted. If your intense workout is heavy lifting, it's not all wasted. It's not going to hurt anything other than your pocketbook.
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,628 Member
    I make my own shake in our nutribullit so I can make whatever i want, it's great
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member

How much do you weigh & estimated BF%?

How much protien are you consuming daily from food and from shakes?

Just to be clear you don't have to down a shake or even eat protien immediately after workouts, not that it's bad for you. If you rather eat whole food when it's easier for you to do so that's fine too.

Shakes in therory are to supplement your protein, so you are thinking correctly in thinking cutting shakes if your protien is sufficient.

Shakes are not a requirement, more of a option.

• EspressoLvr
    EspressoLvr Posts: 100 Member
    I also love the convenience and lightness of a protein drink. My protein drinks have added minerals and vitamins, making them highly nutritious, not "just" protein (for the person who suggested there was no other nutritional value).

I wonder if your protein intake calculation is wrong. I'd do more research if I were you.
    Tell us what number you came up with so we can pick it apart! haha!

I drink two shakes a day and protein at each meal, and have trouble getting all my protein in.

I don't think there's any harm of getting more protein, other than constipation, which shouldn't happen if you balance your fiber.

• Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    edited October 2016
    I also love the convenience and lightness of a protein drink. My protein drinks have added minerals and vitamins, making them highly nutritious, not "just" protein (for the person who suggested there was no other nutritional value).

I wonder if your protein intake calculation is wrong. I'd do more research if I were you.
    Tell us what number you came up with so we can pick it apart! haha!

I drink two shakes a day and protein at each meal, and have trouble getting all my protein in.

I don't think there's any harm of getting more protein, other than constipation, which shouldn't happen if you balance your fiber.

A multi Vitamin does the same thing for pennies. If you are drinking 2 shakes a day and protein at every meal and still not getting enough protein something is wrong.
  • zilkah
    zilkah Posts: 207 Member
    nothing wrong with a lot of protein IMO as long as you make sure to get a pretty adequate intake of other things too
  • TeeVT
    TeeVT Posts: 4 Member
    edited October 2016

Thanks for the responses everyone!

I think I have been misunderstood. My doctor suggested protein shakes because we found out that I have an allergy to gluten and dairy - so when I switched over to my new diet to accomidate this, I was having a hard time eating enough calories... so his reasoning was b/c I needed more calories. I am the one who decided to use a shake that is high in protein because I've heard that it was beneficial for post-workout. Some of your comments were leaning towards thinking a doctor shouldn't suggest this - but I couldn't disagree more, he had solid reasoning.

I am using a shake from GNC, which is gluten free and has very limited dairy (which so far I've been able to tolerate).

When I say "clean eating" I mean eating mostly fruits/veges/lean meats/nuts that are not spiced or loaded with additives. I cannot have most processed foods or spiced foods, because these tend to have hidden gluten in it.

I am eating around 100g of protein a day and drinking about 50g of protein with my shakes. I am 5'6" and 152lbs.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    100g of protien is very close to the minimal you need at that weight assuming you are 30% body fat or less. If you are a touch higher, you will need a little more.
  • moesis
    moesis Posts: 874 Member
    What MFP shows for a daily recommended protein intake is incorrect. If you search online, calculators, like this one, exist to give you an idea of what your protein intake should be.

Everyone needs a different amount of protein. If you have lost 50+ pounds over the last year, you are pretty close to the sweet spot for you body's need.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Harvard Medical School, USDA and other reputable sources suggest protein should make up 10-35% of calories, with a minimum of .8g per kilogram of body weight

https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/what-should-you-eat/protein/