Options
I have made a little banh mi pickle that contains the following:

3oz daikon
3oz carrot
3oz onion
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup rice vinegar
Water

I'd say it is about 4 generous portions, and the recipe builder puts that at 115 calories a serving. Does that sound high? The majority of the liquid used for the pickling will not be consumed.

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    115/4= 30 calories per serving. It's almost not worth logging, IMO.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    It comes out at 115 per serving.
  • queenliz99
    Options
    Oops! Still isn't much. I would shave off a portion of it. Error in the high side.
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    I never know what to do in that situation. I make a brine for pork chops that uses 2 Tbsp of brown sugar in 2 cups of water for 16 oz of meat. I usually just don't count it. I have also considered adding like a tsp of sugar to my diary, but it still doesn't add up to much. You obviously aren't eating all that sugar. Could you make the banh mi without sugar then mix in a small measured amount of sugar to each drained serving?
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    The major key to get more accurate would be to try and figure out how much of the sugar is being absorbed during the process. I'm not sure how you'd do that though.
  • hawkmancody
    hawkmancody Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Maybe get the weight of the brine before you brine the pickles then take the pickles out and reweigh the brine to see how much is absorbed?then use maths to figure out the calories?
  • MelanieCN77
    Options
    Maybe get the weight of the brine before you brine the pickles then take the pickles out and reweigh the brine to see how much is absorbed?then use maths to figure out the calories?

Aha! I'll do that next time.
  • MelanieCN77
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    Oops! Still isn't much. I would shave off a portion of it. Error in the high side.

That's a shot of bourbon at the end of my day haha! Precious calories.
  • queenliz99
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »

That's a shot of bourbon at the end of my day haha! Precious calories.
    I hear you, Melody! Make those calories work :p
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    I usually use the entire amounts for the recipe, knowing it will be conservative. You could try to estimate by seeing how much of the liquid is actually absorbed, but without knowing how much of what components are lost/absorbed by the food, it's tough to know if that will be any more accurate.

If you're really dedicated... only $850!
    https://rlfoodtestinglaboratory.com/food-testing-services/food-nutrition-analysis
  • KickassAmazon76
    KickassAmazon76 Posts: 4,560 Member
    Options
    I say eat the pickle and do a flight of stairs.
  • queenliz99
    Options
    I say eat the pickle and do a flight of stairs.

You, sir, are a genius!
  • MelanieCN77
    Options
    Today is abs and arms, I could throw in some pickle cardio I guess. :)
  • KickassAmazon76
    KickassAmazon76 Posts: 4,560 Member
    Options
    Today is abs and arms, I could throw in some pickle cardio I guess. :)

Remember, you are on MFP... pickle cardio is just begging for all sorts of comments!