How did you pick your Goal Weight?

Options

Replies

• LaReinaDeCorazones
    LaReinaDeCorazones Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    My goal weight is 140 at 5'5, and a weight I was at in my early 20s. I looked good then, so I figured I can try for it again
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    I didnt pick an ideal weight i picked an ideal body shape. I find it a much beter way to focus on my own body and be happy with whatever number aslong as i see progress to the shapes i want. You know, Waist slimming, Strong thighs...Booty ;D If i start losing to much boob ill probably begin to maintain there :p
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    My goal weight is the middle of the healthy BMI for a male as tall as I am.
  • reggia09
    reggia09 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I checked three different sites online for what a woman my age (in 50s), with my frame and height (5'4.5") should weigh. I then averaged those ranges together, and went straight for the middle of a healthy BMI (between 18.5 and 24.9). That number was 129.

Originally, I told myself I'd be very content to just get below 140 lbs. But when I did, losing weight suddenly become easier. I went down to 125 which seemed a bit too low, 127 seemed naturally right and I stayed there for over a year then gained 4 lbs, stayed there for another year before gaining another 15+ lbs back.

Several years later and I'm back below 140, and honestly, this time around, I'll be content to be under 135. LOL, but if I lose a few more, I'll be very happy.
  • jayeless
    jayeless Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Well, I remembered weighing 45kg when I was about 16. I put that number into a calculator, found that it would give me a BMI of 20.5 (i.e. not underweight or anything!) and I decided to aim for it. I also decided I would settle for higher if 45kg proved to be too hard to reach or unsustainable once I got there. I haven't got there yet, so we'll have to see :smile:
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,988 Member
    Options
    savithny wrote: »
    I'm setting goals as I go: 10% of body weight to start with, as that's an amount that makes a real difference to health. Then 10% increments.

I have no illusions that I will get down to absolute "ideal" for my height - even my doctor didn't encourage that as a goal, based on my build, age, etc. She liked the 10% at a time idea because its way more achievable than a weight I last was before I got breasts...

I started with a 10% goal, too, also because of being told that it should make a real difference to my health. Also, that would get me down to a weight I hadn't been for nearly 10 years.

I was surprised by how easy the weight loss went when I actually had the right tools for tracking calories (I had tried pure calorie counting in the distant past when you had to look things up in books, and keep a paper record, and that was a real pain -- plus it was before I had a food scale in my kitchen, which I originally purchased for baking). Anyway, I shot right past the 10% to 15% down, and the weight loss and increased activity did make a real difference to my health.

I've been maintaining for about three years, but it's started to creep up a couple of pounds, and I'm thinking about setting a new goal. Maybe 10% from where I am.
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I picked a BMI of just under 21, which is the amount I weighed for many years, and is right in the middle of the healthy range. BMI doesn't work for everyone but I'm a typical body type. Now my focus is to be stronger, leaner and more flexible. "Strong is the new skinny"

This is my goal also-- BMI around 22 for me. I had creeped up to 25 BMI in my 50s which is borderline "overweight" according to charts. Since then I've managed to get down to 24.5 BMI in the upper normal range. My goal is to get to midrange normal BMI. I feel extremely comfortable, fit, and healthy when there. Strong and flexible sounds great also.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I picked the middle of the healthy BMI, which was also my lowest weight for maybe 1 month when I was 21. I've never reached it though (I'm 5 lbs above that) because I'm just too hungry and not willing to give up on my treats to reach it either (which would just make me binge anyway). I'm 17 years older and more muscular now though.

But keeping that goal has helped me maintain my weight at least, so it's all good.
  • princessalmz
    princessalmz Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I picked my goal weight based on my body frame size, height and BMI. I'd like to be on the lower end of the healthy range and based on my frame size this would be ideal.
    I'm 5'4 and 151lbs which is 30lbs away from my goal weight but I'm going to take it 5lbs at a time. Who knows, maybe at 130 I'll be at my ideal body!
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Well, this may sound weird, but I want to be as fat as I can be for various reasons without being unhealthy. From all the data I've seen, being slightly overweight is not as bad as being obese or underweight, so I set my goal to slightly overweight. If at any point during my maintenance my blood tests show warning signs I will go back to dieting to drop my weight further.
  • amandapleighse92
    amandapleighse92 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'8 my ultimate goal weight is 125. This is around what I weighed before I got pregnant. Unfortunately I ate everything in sight my whole pregnancy and didn't EVER work out. So I gained quite a bit. (I'm at 165 now) I have never had muscle though. Like seriously VERY little. If you are aiming for toned, you will weigh more though. My weight was so low because I had so little muscle. I'm hoping for a little bit of muscle this time around though, so maybe 130?
  • rachelr1116
    rachelr1116 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'11" and it's been so long since I've been a healthy weight that I'm not even sure what is realistic for me. I've set my goal at just under the high weight of normal BMI, 177 lbs. I'm sure I can go lower than that but for now it's my goal and I'll adjust accordingly once I get there.
  • not_my_first_rodeo
    not_my_first_rodeo Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I have a weight that I picked out from looking at a couple of BMI charts. My goal weight is 140. That may be unrealistic, but I'm trying to focus on losing ten pounds at a time. I plan on discussing this more with my GP when I see her next.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    I used the best available information for current body fat % and weight, then researched the ideal body fat % and calculated my new weight that would match that body fat %.

That was almost 3 years ago and I'm less than 10 lbs. away now. Unfortunately, I've lost some muscle and will probably need to lose a few more lbs. of fat, but not really that much.
  • LizIsBack86
    LizIsBack86 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I will pick my body weight ideal for me when I reach that point where I am like okay for my height and weight this is just fine :) I don't go by my doctor and websites only because everyone's body is different and what they feel is right for me, might not necessarily be!!! Were all different so pick what you feel is best:)
  • idabest777
    idabest777 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Mine was/is constantly changing. The lowest I had every remembered being was 140 at 5'4 so I originally decided to go with that. But once I got there I kept bumping it down by 5lbs. I'm at 125 now and am planning on setting my final goal to 118, which would be 10lbs above the lowest end BMI for me.
  • BuffMom84
    BuffMom84 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I didn't pick my goal weight, my goal weight picked me.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Having an ambitious goal weight is a good plan but this should be split into smaller manageable goals on the way down. 5lbs in one month seems like a much more achievable goal than 60lbs in a year.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Favourite adult weight.
    Then a bit less, could see best weight in 20's wasn't same as best weight in my 50's. :(
    Then a bit less, mostly vanity.
    Then a bit less for cycling performance.
    Then a bit more as found lowest weight too hard to maintain.
    Then a bit more after I'd put some muscle on.

Long story short - your goal weight doesn't have to be set in stone.
  • Shanel0916
    Shanel0916 Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    Before deciding on a goal weight I had never weighed less than 169lbs (I'm 5'3) as an adult. Through viewing before and after pictures of others I orginally decided my goal weight would be 135lbs. Now though after losing 31lbs (from 188lbs) I think 145lbs may be more suitable. At the end of it all I really just want a muscular physique tho, so I suppose the numbers really don't matter.