excercise and increased calorie intake

Options
Do I have to workout as I'm increasing my calorie intake to avoid insane weight gain?

Replies

• trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    A) Why are you increasing your calorie intake?
    B) What are your goals?
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 5,001 Member
    Options
    When you're losing your goal is to net your calorie goal wich included a deficit. When you're maintaining your goal is still to net your calorie goal. Your goal will just be higher and no longer has a deficit. You shouldn't gain at maintenance. You should maintain . You will want to have a maintenance range because there will still be fluctuations, but not actually fat gain.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    You're increasing your calorie intake from what? Have you been in a deficit? If you're upping to maintenance, you will maintain...that's why it's called maintenance. If you workout more, your maintenance calories will be higher...if you workout less then your maintenance calories will be lower.
  • aimanbafakyh
    aimanbafakyh Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    yes i've been in a deficit and now I've achieved my goal and wish to maintain it.
  • aimanbafakyh
    Options
    how do i maintain?
  • aimanbafakyh
    Options
    kgirlhart wrote: »
    When you're maintaining your goal is still to net your calorie goal. Your goal will just be higher and no longer has a deficit. You shouldn't gain at maintenance. You should maintain . You will want to have a maintenance range because there will still be fluctuations, but not actually fat gain.

umm... I am afraid I do not understand. Could you elaborate?
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    You ate less than you burned to lose weight.

You eat what you burn to maintain weight.

So yes you eat more than you were when losing.

But not as much as you used to eat before weight loss. Important point.

Life lesson - always eat properly for your level of activity.

If you were doing workouts when losing weight and will keep doing them - keep it up and eat more.

If you were not doing workouts but now you want to - you get to eat more and even more - for increased activity.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,618 Member
    Options
    Set your goal to maintain and eat that many calories. Lose weight after a few weeks? Increase calories. Gain weight? Decrease. Stay the same...you found your maintenance calories. If you workout more, increase calories.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 5,001 Member
    Options
    If you have been eating at a deficit and losing weight and you want to maintain you add back the number of calories of your deficit. So if you have been at a 250 calorie deficit then you would raise your goal by 250. That way you are eating the same amount you are burning. If you eat less than you burn you lose weight. If you eat the same as you burn you stay the same and if you eat more than you burn you gain.
  • jolive7
    jolive7 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    How do you maintain .. this is probably going to be trial and error. Increase by 100 calories.. do you gain weight? No? Increase again.. etc etc. until you gain one week, then you drop it back to what it was the week before. that is the only way to truly know maintenance calories.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Add to all the great advice about slowly increasing - 1-3 lb water weight changes in a few days time doesn't count.
    Fat is not fast, gained or lost.

Don't react and change something for normal water weight fluctuations.

You need a weight goal range - not a single number.

You'll drive yourself nuts trying to be a specific number.

And as a woman your metabolism literally changes through the month, so really you can't discern anything shorter than 4 weeks time.

Measure your waist at belly button, since that is usually where fat is stored first - unless you know it to be somewhere else. Use that along with monthly weight trend.
  • aimanbafakyh
    Options
    thankyou everyone