Best Potassium sources-Supplement or food.

I swim laps for exercise and started getting cramps on the tops of my feet down to the toes. I think this might be due to a lack of potassium. I am on a net 1000 calorie a day diet ( I am 54, female and only 5'1 so don't yell about the low calories) so I need to know if anyone knows of a good effective potassium supplement or really low calorie food.

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    It's always better to go for a food source......a glass of low sodium v8 (my weapon of choice because I have to watch my sodium) has about 800mg of potassium and is 50 or 60 cal.

Are you fairly new to swimming? The cramping may just be related to keeping your toes pointed while you swim (every new scuba diver I've ever met experiences cramps - usually in their calves - at first)
  • CarlydogsMom
    CarlydogsMom Posts: 645 Member
    Coconut water is great. Other sources include pineapple, figs, and dates. All yum!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    dmwh142 wrote: »
    I swim laps for exercise and started getting cramps on the tops of my feet down to the toes. I think this might be due to a lack of potassium. I am on a net 1000 calorie a day diet ( I am 54, female and only 5'1 so don't yell about the low calories) so I need to know if anyone knows of a good effective potassium supplement or really low calorie food.

You should only supplement if you've actually had blood work done and it shows a deficiency...over supplementation of potassium is bad news bears.

Good sources include:

- Avocados
    - Spinach
    - Potatoes and Sweet Potatoes
    - Coconut water
    - Canned tomato products
    - Low Sodium V8
    - Beans
    - Bananas
    - Acorn squash
    - Dried apricots
    - Mushrooms
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    I sprinkle something called No Salt on my food as well. It's potassium chloride, I believe rather than regular sodium chloride.
  • dmwh142
    dmwh142 Posts: 72 Member
    Thank you all for your responses. I will incorporate these into my diet. I have been swimming for three years and never had this problem before so I will pay attention to my form also.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Lite salts are awesome for this, and a LOT cheaper than any potassium supplement, which are always hilariously underdosed, and expensive as hell by comparison.