LOW SUGAR DIET

Options
I need to cut back on my sugar intake because I think that is one of the things that is keeping me from losing weight. Does anybody know where I can find a list of foods that should and shouldn't be eaten?

Thanks for your help.

Replies

• Sarah_Shapes_Up
    Sarah_Shapes_Up Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Stick to whole foods. If you're in a calorie deficit, you'll lose weight. If it's related to an allergy or disease, then by all means avoid it.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    katlovers2 wrote: »
    I need to cut back on my sugar intake because I think that is one of the things that is keeping me from losing weight. Does anybody know where I can find a list of foods that should and shouldn't be eaten?

Thanks for your help.

Your diary will tell you what has sugar in it.

Whole foods won't have added sugar, as cwolfman noted. Some high sugar whole foods (that I wouldn't personally avoid) are fruit and some kinds of dairy. Vegetables and some more starchy foods (like sweet potatoes and plantains) also have some sugar.

If you struggle with overeating sugary foods, it's most likely to be the more obvious stuff with added sugar, like sweets.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options

Thanks for your help.

@KatLover2 Goggle foods that work well for Low Carb High Fat ways of eating. Most of the listed carb foods will be low in sugar. For pain management I cut out sugar and all grains over two years ago but I still eat 2500+ calories daily so I am not low calorie. I lost a ton of pain in just the first 30 days and after 45 days the scales numbers started to decline but inches of fat left even before the scales started going down in weight. Not sure how that works but it did it. Best of success.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

Thanks for your help.

Or you're not eating in a deficit which is keeping you from losing weight?
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    No foods make weight loss impossible, or conversely, promote weight loss.

No foods have to be eaten and no foods have to be avoided. Unless of course you are allergic or similar.

You can eat anything as long as you don't overdo it - this means exceeding your calorie goal and/or what you eat makes your diet unbalanced - too much or too little of one or more nutrients.

If your problem is trouble with moderation, and your "problem food" is a low-nutritent food that you'll never miss anyway, it can be a smart move to just cut it out or reduce frequency of consumption.

Lists of allowed and forbidden foods is the fast lane to eating disorders. Eat a variety of foods you like in moderate amounts.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    jprewitt1 wrote: »
    Sugar isn't making you retain weight. A overabundance of calories is keeping you from your goals. Step back from the idea that "taking away one thing will make me lose weight" and come to the idea that "if I burn more calories than I eat I'll lose weight." You can enjoy sugar and the foods you love. You just have to moderate.

This. Sugar does not making people fat, too many calories does. What you eat doesn't matter for weight loss, how much you eat does. Simply stick to your MFP calorie goal every day, try to move more and you should have success.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    Agreed with those who mentioned calories being the issue and not sugar.

Calories are king for weight loss/maintenance/gain.
  • jo_nz
    jo_nz Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    Have you already started logging in MFP?
    If so, you should be able to have a look back and see which things you actually eat that are higher in sugar and decide if you can replace them or reduce them.
    I am not eating specifically low-sugar, but that was the best way for me to figure out where I could trim my calorie "budget". A few simple substitutions on the things I can live without, and smaller portions of the things I don't want to give up (mmmm, chocolate...).

Things like eggs, meats, nuts are low in sugar...but can still be high in calories, so watch portion sizes and log them.

Raspberries are a lower-sugar fruit - one that I would happily replace all other fruit with if I had unlimited budget. My absolute fave <3 but a bit pricey. Here's hoping I can stop my puppy eating all the raspberry canes in the garden and get some "free" fruit this summer! (although she'll probably eat them too)

• Dano74
    Dano74 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    I eat a metric crapload of sugar a day and lose weight when that's the goal. The sugar intake isn't your probalo. Eat what you want when you want, with an eye on nutritional value and within your calories, and you'll lose weight. Promise.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

Thanks for your help.

Just eat more whole foods...emphasize veg over fruit and have one or two servings of fruit per day. If you're eating processed foods, learn to read labels..

This. If you eat mostly whole foods, you're doing well. If you're eating lots of packaged convenience foods, learn to read labels, and learn the names for added sugars.

• kiwiapplepear
    kiwiapplepear Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I have just done my 9th day without sugar including sugary fruits, I though I would never be able to do that but I hve by eating high fat low carb, The good fats keep me so full I don't want sugar at all, sometimes its not just the calories that count for people with sugar, I was becoming insulin sensitive, all my fat was being gained on my tummy and i was really tired, feel great without sugar. But I couldn't do it with low fat. I hope this trend for me continues.
  • kiwiapplepear
    kiwiapplepear Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    some people are just addicted to sugar full stop , they can't moderate, eradicating seems extreme for some but for others it's just to hard to have one piece of chocolate after their body has tasted it...
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    some people are just addicted to sugar full stop , they can't moderate, eradicating seems extreme for some but for others it's just to hard to have one piece of chocolate after their body has tasted it...

I was one of those people until two years ago. Due to being 63 it was a huge change but after two weeks the cravings just faded quickly and two years later have not returned but my health is recovering nicely. Best of success @kiwiapplepear