Alcohol yay or nah??

Options
13»

Replies

• BuffMom84
    BuffMom84 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I like drinking a lot but in order to lose weight I've had to cut down. I stopped drinking beer because of the carbs/high calories. I drink a lot less/slower if I have to sip liquor from a glass! I guess it depends on your personal preference. I wish I didn't like to drink at all but I do sometimes so I'm not going to cut it out altogether. Otherwise I'd just give up completely.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Alcohol has no weight loss or gain properties other than the calories it contains.
  • Elphaba1313
    Elphaba1313 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I'm a yay. Love my red wine. But I keep it to weekends (mostly) and log every ml of it.
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    If you can stay within your calorie goals go for it. Myself I have to abstain altogether because when I start I don't know when to stop. So I prefer not to drink at all. Or try to limit myself to no more the 2 drinks on the weekend.
  • benjaminhk
    benjaminhk Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Nope, alchohol contains "empty calories" which means it has no effect on weight loss or weight gain.

At least that is what I tell myself sarcastically.
  • Shana67
    Shana67 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I used to have pretty much a whole bottle of wine per night, so cutting back to just 1 drink per day made a HUGE difference. However, I still like my vodka (wine only occasionally now) and make room in my diet/calories for a 4oz shot +sparkling water every evening. It definitely gives me something to look forward to on a daily basis and motivates me to stay under my goal so I can have that drink :D
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    I never stopped eating or drinking anything and lost 60lbs. Just monitor your intake and ensure it stays within your caloric intake goals and you will be fine.
  • sarahlovesfood25
    sarahlovesfood25 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    Wow so many comments and really good advice alls i can say is "il drink to that"
  • lightenup2016
    lightenup2016 Posts: 1,055 Member
    Options
    Yay!! I've lost 16 lbs over the past 3.5 months, and have a drink most nights. My calorie limit per day is 1430 plus half of exercise calories. I have reduced my alcohol intake, though, so that now it's less than 8oz red wine (200 calories), or a Coors Light (102 calories).

One thing to think about, which you touched on, is, if you were to cut out drinking, would you instead just get snacky and eat more calories than you might have drank? I leave myself 200 calories for after dinner, and I can use them for a snack, dessert, or alcohol. I usually choose the alcohol, lol.