Just finished reading "Starting Strength" and I am...in love ❤️

Options
I don't know if it's Rip's straight forward writing style or those stupid stick figure drawings but, I am obsessed! Anyone else trying to get stronger in their squats and deadlifts? Friend me! It's leg day tomorrow in my garage at 4am and I have the butterflies...

Replies

• canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    i like the one with the baseball cap on. and the santa claus one on the bench.

i've sort of 'outgrown' a few of his beliefs and his ways of getting lifts done, but i still really like starting strength. a wonderful mfp'er mailed it to me when i was super-new to stronglifts and floundering, and it was lightbulbs all over my life for a while.
  • callyhockey
    callyhockey Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I agree. I took a while off from activity and gaines about 50 lbs. Went to the gym and ate better to get back to where i was but i worked out like a "bro" just doing isolations and lots of pump workouts that gave me almost no progress.

Starting strength motivated me to focus on the big lifts and my aesthetics are fairly similar to when i started but i feel way stronger and it gives me time to work on flexibility which i think is hugely underrated by most.
  • canadianlbs
    Options
    SideSteel wrote: »
    I find Rippetoe to have some sort of charm to him that I can't quite describe.

he seems to be almost a crank on a couple of topics, but he's much more engaging than most of the cranks you come across in this world.
  • canadianlbs
    edited October 2016
    Options
    cqbkaju wrote: »
    Wendler is more "fun" to me, if that makes any sense.

makes total sense. i did a year at 5/5, then almost a year on 3x5. switched to wendler earlier this year and am much happier. not that i wasn't happy with the other ones initially too, but everything runs its course.

haven't done much reading relating to him though; i'm the kind of person who mostly wants a programme, finds a programme and settles down until it wears out.
    Jim Wendler has a low BS tolerance

to be honest, i don't think i've found anyone anywhere in the lifting 'community' who had a high b.s. threshold. it's just a question of which person considers what things to be b.s. they've alllllll got opinions, though :tongue:
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Wendler is more "fun" to me, if that makes any sense.

makes total sense. i did a year at 5/5, then almost a year on 3x5. switched to wendler earlier this year and am much happier. not that i wasn't happy with the other ones initially too, but everything runs its course.

haven't done much reading relating to him though; i'm the kind of person who mostly wants a programme, finds a programme and settles down until it wears out.
    Jim Wendler has a low BS tolerance

to be honest, i don't think i've found anyone anywhere in the lifting 'community' who had a high b.s. threshold. it's just a question of which person considers what things to be b.s. they've alllllll got opinions, though :tongue:

Just a heads up: Wendler can, at times, be a little crass. OK, quite crass.
  • cqbkaju
    cqbkaju Posts: 1,011 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »
    OK, very crass.
  • canadianlbs
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »
    OK, very crass.

heh. am a [within limit, with reason] fan of elliot hulse.

i've seen rippetoe videos where he does this quick look round the room and scoots close to the camera in order to whisper a cue he considers 'vulgar'.
  • cqbkaju
    cqbkaju Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    i've seen rippetoe videos where he does this quick look round the room and scoots close to the camera in order to whisper a cue he considers 'vulgar'.
    LOL!

• Ocrgrrrl
    Ocrgrrrl Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    he seems to be almost a crank on a couple of topics, but he's much more engaging than most of the cranks you come across in this world.
    I like Jim Wendler's (5/3/1) writing style and program better myself (especially once you get older than say, 35) but anyone serious about getting strong (not just looking strong) should probably at least read Rip's Starting Strength and maybe Practical Programming also.

I ran Starting Strength and noticed how fat I was getting by trying to eat enough to make the lifts.
    I did not like shooting up to 17% body fat (hydrostatic tank).
    The strength gains were not worth it for me at my age.
    I also worried that the rate if strength loss would be proportional to the rate it was gained.

Wendler -and the 5/3/1 programming- is more "fun" to me, if that makes any sense.
    Jim Wendler has a low BS tolerance, which I can identity with and respect.
    His program is more "forgiving" than Rip's also, but feels deceptively easy at the beginning.
    You might be tempted to bite off more than you can chew based on the starting weights he gives you.
    Another key is that 5/3/1 is a long-term program, say 60 lbs on your deadlift in a year.

Maybe give it a shot when you are "done" with your Starting Strength gains.
    Be sure to run 5/3/1 as written for at least 3 or 4 months before you think you know better than Wendler does.

Feel free to friend me if you have any questions on getting started with 5/3/1.

@cqbkaju So, what you said here has struck me. I'm 41 and really about looking strong to be perfectly honest. I'm only squatting 155 pounds (I'm 130 pounds at the moment). I would really like to try to get as strong as possible but cut some fat as well. Do you think this is at all possible? Could you give me a brief summary of what 5/3/1 is?
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    Following
  • curlsintherack
    curlsintherack Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    has anyone used either of the starting strength or 5he 5/3/1 apps on an iphone to track/record their workouts? been using the 5x5 app to record progress but running up on a few months of it now and looking for something else for a little while.
  • Ocrgrrrl
    Options
    There's a 5x5 app!!!??? What is it called? Is it available on Android?
    I've been following the 5x5 for a couple months now and would like to switch it up as well. I'm guessing the 5/3/1 is 3 sets...the first is 5 reps, the second 3, the last one would be your 1 rep max? The 5x5 is starting to become redundant for me. And while I want to get strong, I really want to do a program that allows me to lose fat while eating plenty of protein and still remain in a caloric deficit. I'm thinking this may be it.
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    There's a 5x5 app!!!??? What is it called? Is it available on Android?
    I've been following the 5x5 for a couple months now and would like to switch it up as well. I'm guessing the 5/3/1 is 3 sets...the first is 5 reps, the second 3, the last one would be your 1 rep max? The 5x5 is starting to become redundant for me. And while I want to get strong, I really want to do a program that allows me to lose fat while eating plenty of protein and still remain in a caloric deficit. I'm thinking this may be it.

StrongLifts 5x5 app is available for both iPhone and Android.
  • canadianlbs
    Options
    I'm guessing the 5/3/1 is 3 sets...the first is 5 reps, the second 3, the last one would be your 1 rep max?

not quite. it's based on a training max, which is 90% of whatever your 1rm is. you're right about it being three sets every time, but the rep amounts change from week to week. within each individual workout, what changes with every set is the weight.

in the first week you do five reps for each set, using weight jumps of 65%, 75% and 85 % of your training max for that cycle.

second week you only do three reps, but your weights are now 80%, 85% and 90%.

third week is the mixiest. first set is 5 reps at 85%. second set is 3 reps at 90%. the last set is only one rep, but it's at 95% . for any of these weeks, the final set is actually amrap - which means you aim to get at least the prescribed number of reps, but you can keep going past that number and do 'as many reps as possible', provided you keep good form and you still have 'two in the tank' when you stop.

in the fourth week you either rest completely or do 3x5, using much lower weight. and then you've finished a cycle. you up your training weight by 5 or 10 pounds and do it all over again.

i have to say i love wendler. 5x5 was great when i started out because it was so simple. you have some weight you're going to lift this workout, you do five sets of five at that weight, done. wendler probably would have given me fits in the beginning, but now that i have some sense of my range and capability, i love how every single set and workout is different. psychologically, i find things just seem way more manageable under wendler. i can always do 'five reps' of whatever weight. i can always do a 'whole week' of 5's (which is surprisingly the difficult one for me), because it's just for one week. then i can always do the heavier weights of 3's week because that's only three. and so forth.

it's slow progress compared with sl, so some people might be bothered by that. but personally, i wasn't getting anywhere much on 3x5 anyway, so there was nothing to lose. wendler kind of nibbles away at those plateaus that were more like rock ceilings for me in the past, and it's working for me.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,978 Member
    Options
    sStrongLifts 5x5 app is available for both iPhone and Android.

Also available for Starting Strength but it costs $8.99; no free intro app available.
    Stronglifts is free for the basic app but costs $9.99 for the upgraded "PowerPack."

I've used the basic Stronglifts app which is ok for a free program to schedule your lifts but not much else. Haven't used the PowerPack or Starting Strength's app, so can't comment on them.

• DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    I like Jim Wendler's (5/3/1) writing style and program better myself (especially once you get older than say, 35) but anyone serious about getting strong (not just looking strong) should probably at least read Rip's Starting Strength and maybe Practical Programming also.

I ran Starting Strength and noticed how fat I was getting by trying to eat enough to make the lifts.
    I also worried that the rate if strength loss would be proportional to the rate it was gained.

Wendler -and the 5/3/1 programming- is more "fun" to me, if that makes any sense.
    His program is more "forgiving" than Rip's also, but feels deceptively easy at the beginning.
    You might be tempted to bite off more than you can chew based on the starting weights he gives you.
    Another key is that 5/3/1 is a long-term program, say 60 lbs on your deadlift in a year.

Be sure to run 5/3/1 as written for at least 3 or 4 months before you think you know better than Wendler does.

@cqbkaju So, what you said here has struck me. I'm 41 and really about looking strong to be perfectly honest. I'm only squatting 155 pounds (I'm 130 pounds at the moment). I would really like to try to get as strong as possible but cut some fat as well. Do you think this is at all possible? Could you give me a brief summary of what 5/3/1 is?

Buy the book, it's worth it.
  • shor0814
    shor0814 Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    DopeItUp wrote: »

Buy the book, it's worth it.

And make sure it is the latest edition, Beyond 5/3/1
  • Ocrgrrrl
    Options
    OK thank you everyone for your help! I'm hoping I can get in on kindle.