Want to start group of women with heart disease

Options
mollywhippet
mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
Would anybody out there like to be in a group of women who have heart disease? I recently had a stent put in an artery for blockage and am struggling to recover and lose weight at the same time. It would be nice to visit with others who have been through it or are going through it now. I know there is a heart attack group, but I have not had a heart attack. Yet.

I'm about 57 (almost 58), 5' 4" tall, and have another 100 pounds to lose. I've lost about 56 pounds since Christmas but just discovered MFP recently. So far it has been a huge help. In fact, I just got back from a week vacation and the nurses at cardiac rehab were impressed that I managed to lose 2 pounds while I was on vacation, and that was because of MFP. I use it religiously every day to log my food and exercise, but I know there is a lot more it can do.

It says I need three people to start a group. Anyone interested?

Sylvia

Replies

• drcaroly
    drcaroly Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi, Molly Whippet,

I'm 59 years old, also 5'4" and I also had a stent put in 3 1/2 years ago. This is a tough place for us to be, but I am grateful for the chance to keep on keepin' on!!! My father had his first heart attack at 49 and died at the age of 57, so I've got a strong family heart history. My cardiologist has diagnosed me with microvascular disease which, for me, means I can have lots of mild chest pain, but my main vessels are clear and strong. I work out six days a week, doing tons of cardio and 3 days a week I do pilates. For the last two summers, I've done a biking event in Iowa called RAGBRAI and so it's been a chunk of my inspiration to work out.

Recently, however, my weight has been creeping up and I've begun having mild chest pains. I see my cardiologist pretty regularly, but after being faithful with my meds and exercise, we realized I need to start focusing on my weight. I know I'm obese by all the medical standards, but right now, I want to start with knocking off 15-20 pounds and see how my heart feels.

I would be delighted to correspond with a female heart disease survivor because every time I go see my cardiologist, all I see is 75 year-old men and I feel really alone with my disease.

How about you? What is your story? I'd be delighted to buddy up as we tackle this is you are still interested!!!
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Hello! I'm so surprised to see a response to this thread. I almost forgot I posted it!

I'm 58 and had my first stent in April after several months of chest, neck and arm pain and dozens of tests. Afterward I felt great till early October when I started to feel some of the same pains again. I went in on Friday before last for another heart cath where they found a 98% blockage. They say I am not responding to Plavix, so they switched me to Effient. Along with three blood pressure pills, water pills, and statin. I start another round of cardiac rehab on Monday. I have been overweight for many years, most of my adult life, but last Christmas I hit my all time high of 302 pounds. I started on a vigorous exercise routine with cardio, weight training and swimming laps after my first stent, and a low salt, low fat, low enjoyment diet. I'm still on the diet but have to wait to get back to the exercise till I get the all-clear from the doctor.

I too have family history. My mother had her first heart attack around age 35. My dad had super high blood pressure. I get both. Lucky me.

I'm down 86 pounds so far, and it feels incredible already. Every day I just giggle about the changes so far. I can walk uphill. I can climb stairs. I can sit in normal chairs. I can touch my feet! I was in 26/28/30-4x clothing and now size 20-2x is loose. I'm a little over half way done. It's going slow, but I think that's good. I have some baggy skin, but that's a small price to pay for being able to roll over in bed without being out of breath. I have an incredibly supportive husband and lots of good friends who encourage me. I have two dogs who acknowledge my existence and would miss me if I were gone. I have a son, age 37, and three beautiful grand babies who have recently come back into my life after a five year absence. So my life is good. I want to stick around for a while.

I dearly LOVE MFP! It has been just what I needed to stay on track. I especially like the WOMEN 50+ thread in the motivation and support section. They are a very supportive bunch of ladies. A few of them have heart issues too, or have family with it, so they were helpful to me with this latest round of trouble. You might check them out if you haven't already.

I'm impressed that you are biking. That is something I used to enjoy and might try again when I get closer to my goal. I hope you will write again and tell me more about yourself. Are you on low salt diet? What part of the world are you in? Do you have family nearby?

Have a great Thanksgiving holiday!

Sylvia, from Kansas