Cheat days advise

Options
TGIF
I'm good with my diet plan all week but Friday is weigh day and my cheat day. What tends to happen is that it spills into the weekend and turns out to be a 3 day free for all. This seriously sabotages my weight loss every week. The obvious solution is to cut out the cheat day, but I feel I might overeat during the week instead. Any advise welcomed ✌️️
Thank you

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Zig-zag your calories. I eat a little lower during the week to "bank" calories for the weekends. On weekends I'm basically eating at maintenance.....so it's not a free for all.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    ariela569 wrote: »
    TGIF
    I'm good with my diet plan all week but Friday is weigh day and my cheat day. What tends to happen is that it spills into the weekend and turns out to be a 3 day free for all. This seriously sabotages my weight loss every week. The obvious solution is to cut out the cheat day, but I feel I might overeat during the week instead. Any advise welcomed ✌️️
    Thank you

You are setting yourself up for the reality of failure every single week in order to avoid a possibility that is based on a feeling. That's illogical. Raise your calories slightly all week long to average out to a sustainable deficit and then stick with it. Alternately, raise your calories slightly all week long except for Friday, when you eat at maintenance. Then stick with it.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    TGIF
    Thank you

You are setting yourself up for the reality of failure every single week in order to avoid a possibility that is based on a feeling. That's illogical. Raise your calories slightly all week long to average out to a sustainable deficit and then stick with it. Alternately, raise your calories slightly all week long except for Friday, when you eat at maintenance. Then stick with it.

^This is great advice! Rather than cheating all weekend eat slightly more through the week and fit those "cheat" foods in.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Either eat less during the week so you can have 3 high calorie days on the weekend, learn to nip the cheat day in the bud after Friday, or stop having cheat days. Whichever seems to work best for you.
  • crystalmorrison378
    crystalmorrison378 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I have a cheat meal... not a cheat day. Pick a day of the week when u can cheat on 1 meal only but stick to ur diet on all other meals. This has worked 4 me.
  • Will_Run_for_Food
    Will_Run_for_Food Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I have a cheat meal... not a cheat day. Pick a day of the week when u can cheat on 1 meal only but stick to ur diet on all other meals. This has worked 4 me.

Agreed. Have a cheat meal, not a cheat day - it's bound to set you back, or worse.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    TGIF
    Thank you

Exactly this...if your deficit is reasonable and sustainable you won't need to overeat on weekends or have "cheat days" or whatever.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    If you cancel your cheat day, but it causes you to overeat a bit during the week, will that net you less calories than a 3-day free-for-all?
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    TGIF
    Thank you

^This is great advice! Rather than cheating all weekend eat slightly more through the week and fit those "cheat" foods in.

That is good advice for some, not so good for others. You could also eat less during the week to allow for overeating on the weekends. As long as the calories average out to a deficit either will work. It's just a matter of preference.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    You have 14 lb to lose. Set yourself up for a calorie deficit of 250 each day and have fun each day.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    TGIF
    Thank you

That is good advice for some, not so good for others. You could also eat less during the week to allow for overeating on the weekends. As long as the calories average out to a deficit either will work. It's just a matter of preference.

You're right that it doesn't work for all. I figured the OP restricted too far during the week causing an over eating issue on weekends. That's why I thought increasing calories through the week might make things more sustainable. Restricting through the week with higher calorie days on weekends (planned and accounted for) can also work for many.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    No to days where you cheat.. this is bad.. Have one planned "indulgent" meal and call it a day..

Calorie cycling is not fun during the week .. so I would just eat maintenance on this one day.

eta: I do not do any cheating while I am in a deficit, this is just a suggestion.
  • Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    Don't have cheat days ... eat a couple hundred calories more each day instead ... still staying below your maintenance level ... and then you won't have a reason to loosen the cravings monster that stays with you throughout the next few days.
  • vikinglander
    vikinglander Posts: 1,547 Member
    Options
    I prefer NOT to plan cheats. For me, it's self-defeating. I prefer to let them come to me; that is, when something truly scrumptious comes along, I make a choice on the spot. Like a slice of homemade Key lime pie. Or an extra helping of a truly exceptional pulled pork. Or a 16 oz. steak instead of a 10 oz. Like that. Much easier to manage, I think. Having said this, I don't typically hang around places where there are lots of baked goods...

The other thing is special occasions...birthdays, anniversaries, graduations, etc. These only tend to come around once a year, or once in a while, so I can indulge for one meal, and get on with it.
  • ariela569
    ariela569 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    That's great realistic doable advice, thank you
  • kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    Don't have a cheat day. Incorporate things you feel are "cheats" into your every day...
  • Dano74
    Dano74 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    Personal anecdote:

Years back I used to have a "cheat day", assuming the "fun" foods I ate were "bad" but the foods I'd eat all week (chicken boob, veggies, the usual lineup of "clean eatin' diet foods") were fat burnin' good. I'd burn out every time.

Started incorporating, as @jemhh suggested, a few more calories and fitting what I like within it, while sticking to those goals and adjusting as necessary.

My diary these days is a daily cheat day diary. I want chocolate chip cookies? I'm eating them. Chips? Hot damn! Nutella? Spoon it up! (Granted, my calories have been increased, which makes indulgence a little easier).

The trick is these items are taken within my caloric baseline. We could argue about my eating habits being HEALTHY all day long... but aesthetically, I'm the leanest I've ever been while eating my fair share of food that's generally maligned to "making you fat".

In short, just saying cheat days, I feel, are dumb- there's just no need for them if you're calorically on track.
  • ariela569
    ariela569 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I'm guessing you workout a lot? That too factors into it. I'm on 1200 cal diet plan, it's restrictive but I feel I need to shake things up. I have 20 lb to lose and I ain't messin around... except cheat days