water weight vs weight gain

Options
I have read so many places people complaining about weight gain and others are telling them not to worry as it could be a water weight......so i have confusion here.i am 5'6'' with 137 weight and today when i measured myself i gained 4lbs in a week despite of eating clean and within limits.....My MFP friends told me its nothing to worry about as its a water weight....so friends , i have 2 questions here :

1) what is water weight???
2) and how does it effect on weight gain???

Replies

• Live4theLift
    Live4theLift Posts: 329
    Options
    its water, think of it 3500 cals = 1 lb so 4 lbs is 14,000 cals.... thats hard to over eat in a week.

Sodium affects water weight and so does your water intake. If you dont drink alot of water your body holds onto it but if you drink enough then it wont affect the scales to much
  • dwh77tx
    dwh77tx Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    It could be TOM or you ate something high in sodium causing the "gain". This is why I don't weigh weekly anymore. I weigh daily before things surprise me.
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    Lots of things cause your body to hang onto water--too much sodium, carb loading, muscle strain.

Water has weight--if your body hangs onto more water, you will weigh more. Try this experiment. Weigh yourself. Drink 16 oz of water. Weigh yourself again. Hey presto! You now weigh more--but it's water weight, NOT fat.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    its water, think of it 3500 cals = 1 lb so 4 lbs is 14,000 cals.... thats hard to over eat in a week.

Sodium affects water weight and so does your water intake. If you dont drink alot of water your body holds onto it but if you drink enough then it wont affect the scales to much

Not to mention, that's 14,000 calories over maintenance. For me, that would mean a total of 32,900 calories in a week. For the average female that would be around 28,000 calories in a week.

There are any number of things that cause you to retain water...hormones, dehydration, sodium intake, alcohol consumption, a high carb day or two (topping off your glycogen stores), and even exercise causes your muscles to retain water for repair. If I take a rest week from working out...which I do about every 5-6 weeks, I'll easily drop 5-8 Lbs of just water in a week and then put that water weight right back on when I start again.

You're going to have to come to grips with natural body weight fluctuations are you're really going to be in for a tough ride.