I don't have an eating disoder

Options
I have a sensitive stomach and acid reflex, I know I am not suppose to eat certain food because they cause me to feel sick but like anyone normal I don't always listen and most of the time I am fine but sometimes I am more sensitive and it usually hits me right after or during my meal. This week its been acting up and its the first time since I started trying to lose weight. I got sick right after breakfast yesterday and today after lunch a little while ago. Should I still count the calories for those meals or reduce them, I didn't yesterday but today it happened right after lunch and I had a pretty big lunch.

Before you ask, No I am not pregnant.

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Just count them, all the calories in and out are estimates anyway. Why are you eating these foods?
  • mari5466
    mari5466 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    Just count them, all the calories in and out are estimates anyway. Why are you eating these foods?

Usually I am fine when I eat them every so often but once every few months I have a harder time with them. I avoid most of the foods like acidic foods on a daily basis but even coffee made me sick the other day.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    I would count them, make a note on your diary for historical purposes and monitor your weight loss. If you happen to lose a little more, then you will know why.. You did still get calories from this food, how much is not known

In all sincerity, can the doc not provide you with something when you get flare ups? Why eat thee foods, sounds horrible..
  • mari5466
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    Why would you eat food that you know is going to make you sick? Do you take some sort of medicine with it that is supposed to alleviate the effects?

I take some acid reducer every so often when I feel I need it but I started a new job last month and I still haven't bought some to keep in my new office.
  • mari5466
    Options
    Yeah I have gone to the doctor, they told me to watch what I eat and to take medicine when needed. I have had a colonoscopy and everything.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    In answer to the original question, I'd count them anyway and just go on. It's not that big of deal in the grand scheme of a week's calories. As far as the acid reflux, I can also tell you that mine went away once I lost the extra weight. I don't know why or how, but all the crap food I was eating, and had eaten for years, was tearing up my stomach. Once I switched to eating better, and lost the weight, I can eat just about anything I want, including hot/spicy foods that I love. I could never eat them before I'd have been dying 10 minutes after I ate them.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    There really isn't a way to accurately know how many calories you get from a meal if you vomit it up later. My advice would be if you want to accurately track your calories, don't eat things that make you vomit.

You know what, perhaps just don't eat things that make you vomit in general.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Have you been tested for Celiac disease?
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    mari5466 wrote: »
    I have a sensitive stomach and acid reflex, I know I am not suppose to eat certain food because they cause me to feel sick but like anyone normal I don't always listen and most of the time I am fine but sometimes I am more sensitive and it usually hits me right after or during my meal. This week its been acting up and its the first time since I started trying to lose weight. I got sick right after breakfast yesterday and today after lunch a little while ago. Should I still count the calories for those meals or reduce them, I didn't yesterday but today it happened right after lunch and I had a pretty big lunch.

Before you ask, No I am not pregnant.

On a scale from 1-10, 10 being the best or worst, rate the following:

Overall mood
    Overall stress
    Nutritional choices
    Sleep quality
    Feelings about your weight (specify good or bad)
    Mindfulness when eating
  • bettiegambrill20162016
    Options
    Research low FODMAP foods, you may find your own triggers for feeling unwell by trial and error
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »
    There really isn't a way to accurately know how many calories you get from a meal if you vomit it up later. My advice would be if you want to accurately track your calories, don't eat things that make you vomit.

I'm 23 years old, I'm gonna eat French fries occasionally. It sounds really easy to say to someone not to eat certain things but when 9 out of 10 times I don't get sick and the one time I do I'll take my chances.

Well then you've accepted the consequences which include occasionally not being able to track your caloric intake.

Frankly if you have to preface your post by first saying "I don't have an eating disorder" you can't then go on to act like your behavior here is totally normal. If you really believe that's normal behavior why even include that preface?
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options

I'm 23 years old, I'm gonna eat French fries occasionally. It sounds really easy to say to someone not to eat certain things but when 9 out of 10 times I don't get sick and the one time I do I'll take my chances.

Well then you've accepted the consequences which include occasionally not being able to track your caloric intake.

Frankly if you have to preface your post by first saying "I don't have an eating disorder" you can't then go on to act like your behavior here is totally normal. If you really believe that's normal behavior why even include that preface?

Most in that category are attention seeking.
  • Rebecca0224
    Rebecca0224 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    I throw up sometimes when I have migraines. I count the calories for those meals, as your body begins digesting food immediately and there isn't a great way to tell how much your body has gotten. If I do feel hungry later, I will go over my calorie goals for those days to make sure I'm getting enough to eat.

If this happens regularly, you might want to speak to a medical professional (if you haven't already). Vomiting regularly isn't just going to mess with your logging, it can cause other health issues (as well as potential dental problems).

I have migraines also and I long anything I can eat on those days also. I give myself a break from worrying about going over calories on those days, I still log it but don't focus on the end number.
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    Eating things you know could make you sick is disordered behavior and I think you know that on some level, hence the post title.

I have a wheat allergy. I get painful bloating and hives that turn to blisters when itched. When I first developed the allergy it took larger quantities to get sick. I would cheat and have treats I knew could make me sick playing with it almost to see how much it took to trigger a reaction. I know I have a history of eating disorders and that for me this was another one. Long story short it progressed and now I get very sick every time I'm exposed and Im careful to avoid it now because I want to take good care of myself.

If you know it can make you sick dont eat it.
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    I had wicked stomach flu the other night. I still logged everything I ate, but I did not actively try to have a deficit on paper. I also did not worry about calories potentially being too low because it was a single day, and you just don't need to worry about that when you're sick. As long as you're usually diligent and it's neither a regular nor an intentional thing, don't worry about the impact of puking on your calorie intake for the day.