Calories burned question

Options
What is more accurate as to telling u how many calories u have burned during exercise on a machine.. the machine calorie counter or something like map my fittness? There seems to be a huge difference between the 2 on just about all of the machines I use... especially the treadmill. For example. . I just spent 30 min on the treadmill at different inclines and speeds.. treadmill says I burned 245 calories and map my fittness says I only burned 170.

Replies

• sllm1
    sllm1 Posts: 2,114 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I would always use the lower value.

It's all an estimate, and overestimating calorie expenditure will affect your results negatively (the same as underestimating consumption).
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Mapmyfitness doesn't have any way to account for the treadmill incline, does it? I admit to not being intimately familiar with that app. As such, I'd think the treadmill would be closer. There's no guarantee either is accurate, though.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Which machine? Does it ask your weight is a crucial piece of information....

There isn't one simple answer. I use one machine that measures my output to +/- 1% but have also used other machines that use Hans Christian Andersen to provide their estimates. :smile:

The exercise database here - mixture of high/low/reasonable.

Ditto various apps.

Ditto various other devices like step counters and HRMs.

Ditto using a formula for running when you mix in different inclines.

In the end consistency and working towards "reasonable" is near enough. If you don't get your expected results after a month then it's possible either your food or exercise estimates are inaccurate (or both).
  • awolf2011
    awolf2011 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Get a good HRM. For me that was the most accurate reading for my workouts. They varied so much from machine to MapMyFitness, so I got a HRM and was able to get a more accurate reading.