i need christmas ideas to give to my family - help!

Options
slickmickey
slickmickey Posts: 113 Member
i'm 35, married, no kids, work full time...

i'm at the point where i'm overwhelmed with "stuff". so i really dont want "stuff". i've been in a depressive phase and havent been working out so i dont want gift cards to my yoga place, or any gear. i love to bake but have anything i need, plus there are too many gadgets in the kitchen already. i feel like my house is too cluttered so the idea of anything else that i need to find somewhere to put it is giving me anxiety attacks. its a very small house with myself, my husband and 4 pets. it *was* 3 bedrooms, but now 1 is our cats room (no closet either) and 1 is my husbands workroom so i avoid it anyways... just an fyi, i know that doesnt help lol

i dont really have hobbies. i dont play video games. i dont wear make-up/jewelry. i lost a lot of weight then gained half of it back so i've already overhauled my wardrobe in the past 2 years twice... i'm kind of just stuck with coming up with something to tell my mom.

she keeps asking about restaurants, but since i still *try* to diet i dont want to tempt it with eating out more.

i did say amazon/target/grocery store gift cards in case i need something, or i can get audio books for in the car. our house is a never-ending project so i suggested lowes. we have pets so i suggested a bag a dogfood...

i'm the only child so she's always been big about christmas, it's her favorite time of year. i've been really slacking on ideas for the past few years and she likes wrapping things (like not gift cards - she thinks they arent personable).

any suggestions? anything might trigger an idea so i'm open to anything right now. i know, first world problems... we live paycheck to paycheck basically so gift cards are really the most helpful, but anything tangible would make her feel like santa again- it doesnt have to cost much.

Replies

• GreenGoddess22
    GreenGoddess22 Posts: 3,821 Member
    Options
    I think asking for gift cards is just fine. If she really wants to purchase and wrap gifts, what about asking her to adopt a needy child in your honor? Mom still gets to celebrate her favorite holiday, you don't collect pointless gifts and someone truly in need will have a much needed Christmas.
  • Hadvab
    Hadvab Posts: 36 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    My parents ask me every year what I want and sometimes it takes me a few days to actually weed out things I want down to what I need. And really that's hard for me because I feel that i don't really NEED anything, I can manage with what I have, everything is wants.
    Although last year I did need a winter jacket since mine was no longer wearable.

Appliances, even if they are small, always comes in handy. (Blender, juicer, iced tea maker, etc..).

I know you stated no workout gear and you have clothes but when I get a new workout outfit or shoes I always feel motivated than when i first started. Plus you can't go wrong with new shoes. :smiley:

You stated you don't have any hobbies, but does your mom? If so maybe request something personalized from her. I have a few hobbies and I love it when people ask me to make something for them.

I know gift cards you can't wrap but maybe a giftcard for a day or night out with the hubby/wife
    or even a mother/daughter day event. And that can be to anywhere, movies, restaurant, museum, spa, etc...

Any specific books or movies? Last year I did movie boxes for my family which included a couple movies, snacks, hot cocoa, and pjs.

Any concerts or shows coming to your area, maybe ask for tickets?

If I think of anything else I'll be sure to post it.

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    I think asking for gift cards is just fine. If she really wants to purchase and wrap gifts, what about asking her to adopt a needy child in your honor? Mom still gets to celebrate her favorite holiday, you don't collect pointless gifts and someone truly in need will have a much needed Christmas.

That's a great idea right there...

I also don't see anything wrong with just asking for a gift card, particularly as that is what would actually help you out.

My mom used to be kind of the same way and she'd get really frustrated...eventually I had to just sit down and tell her basically, "hey...I'm a 30something man with a home and a wife...the "toys" that I want, you can't afford so just give me a gift card and I'll put it towards those things.

It's a bit easier now that we have kids...she has two little ones to spoil again. I think parents just sometimes forget that you're a grown up.
  • ncfitbit
    ncfitbit Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    I'm feeling very similarly about "stuff" so last year my husband and I gave ourselves the gift of a subscription to our local performance arts center. It forces us to go and see things we might not see otherwise and we always enjoy them and the memory of going to see them together. It's the best gift we've ever given each other.

Is there anything like that in your town? Especially something you might not buy for yourself because it seems too expensive? Maybe you could ask your mom to consider buying tickets to that venue and ask her to go with you! I did that for my mom several years ago and she still talks about it.

Food for thought, if you are interested in increasing your happiness:

https://www.fastcoexist.com/3043858/world-changing-ideas/the-science-of-why-you-should-spend-your-money-on-experiences-not-thing
  • PowerMan40
    PowerMan40 Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    wow your parents still buy you gifts.... pffft spoiled brats..
  • slickmickey
    Options
    PowerMan40 wrote: »
    wow your parents still buy you gifts.... pffft spoiled brats..

She and I are very close, she came from a large family and lost her mom when she was my age. She lost her father last year. If she wants to feel like santa still I am not going to take that away from her. She will never have grand kids. She's very well off and doesn't spend much on herself. I don't ask her for anything until she begs for a list at Christmas. And no my "parents" don't buy me stuff, only my mom because it was only the two of us. Yeah I'm spoiled...
  • slickmickey
    Options

I'll see if she likes that idea. We've done it in the past and when her bf's son was deployed we adopted the troop and sent them all gifts. Maybe we can find a new troop now that he's retired
  • slickmickey
    Options
    ncfitbit wrote: »
    Maybe you could ask your mom to consider buying tickets to that venue and ask her to go with you! I did that for my mom several years ago and she still talks about it.

That's a great idea, we used to go to the theatre all the time when I was younger
  • yayamom3
    yayamom3 Posts: 939 Member
    Options
    ncfitbit wrote: »
    Maybe you could ask your mom to consider buying tickets to that venue and ask her to go with you! I did that for my mom several years ago and she still talks about it.

That's a great idea, we used to go to the theatre all the time when I was younger

I totally agree wit this idea. We have a popular outdoor theater where I live. They do six Broadway shows a season. If my mom bought us season tickets to go together, I know both of us would really enjoy that.
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    Whiskey or Knives.
  • Just_J_Now
    Just_J_Now Posts: 9,551 Member
    Options
    Money! If she wants to wrap it, she can put it in a box with lovely decorative tissue and wrap like any other gift. I'd be super excited to open that gift. She can also add a little something else in the box like your favorite candy or book or any little knick knack she decides.
  • dc8066
    dc8066 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    Take your family camping
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    No one loves me.
  • dc8066
    dc8066 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    No one loves me.

You could be a Chrisrmas gift for some family
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I like buying experiences for my husband. We have so much stuff, and buy things when we want/need them, so I find cool things for us to do instead. So far I've bought him a white water kayaking day, a half day of caving followed by lunch at a winery, tickets to the Comedy festival... He's gotten me tickets to the Lion King, Strictly Ballroom the Musical... It's cool because we get to do it together and it's a memory we have together.