Running Issues - Pain, Long Recoveries, Etc.

Options
JenNicole11
JenNicole11 Posts: 1,834 Member
I am curious to see if anyone out there is having the same issues as I am with running. I have been running regularly for over a year. I also used to spin regularly but slowed down with it to pick up more mileage thorughout the week (I'm training for my first half-marathon). However, I honestly feel it takes me 2 days to recover from a run, and after each run I have a new issue (i.e. back pain, leg pain, joint pain, etc.). I'm not even 28! I take supplements to help my joints and flexibility. I also stretch before and after. I have no idea if it is something I am doing wrong and if I can change it to make it better, or if my body just can't handle it. I really enjoy it but it's discouraging to finish a good run only to be in pain a few hours later. Anyone else out there with this issue?

Replies

• BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    I had similar issues when I started running because it was completely new to me. Honestly, any time you increase your activity level or start into a more intense exercise program from what you were doing previously, you are going to be sore and there's always the chance of injuries. I'd say make sure that you do give yourself rest days, and make sure that you're getting the nutrition that you need.
  • ZenInTexas
    ZenInTexas Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    You shouldn't be having these issues if you've been running for a year. How are your shoes? What kind of mileage are you doing and how much are you increasing it at a time? How fast are you running?
  • petrinasupler
    petrinasupler Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Cross-training helped me a lot. I use the elliptical and bike, just as much as I run. It helps a lot. It's so much harder to get better at running if you don't cross-train. Sometimes I switch out my running with the elliptical or bike, sometimes I just add one to the workout. It's a great habit to run, use elliptical, then bike at least once/week. If you're really nuts add a swim in to it too. It will make your core stronger and make you feel better at the same time.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Hi Jen,
    I think even very serious runners often take two days off a week for recovery. So if you have to run every other day, I would not sweat it.
    I do not understand the pain you describe. You should not have pain. I never had any pain from running at your age -- and I played soccer and tennis too, regularly.
    Maybe you should see a running trainer. Sometimes people have problems with their gait that can lead to pain and injury, and many times those problems are fixable.
    And, then again, maybe you are pushing too hard. Most people, when they are new to running -- and one year is still fairly new -- get some repetitive use injury like shin splints or runner's knee, etc. So, it is kind of normal that learning to run does not go smoothly. But, that said, there is no need to overdo it on runs. Better to learn to like running, and to run comfortably, and then to establish the habit, than to run too hard and get discouraged and quit sometime down the road.
    Maybe your body is just taking a longer time to adapt to the rigors or running.
    Think about consulting a running trainer. I know we have physical therapists in town who specialize in treating runners, and, at our local running store, the clerks will evaluate someone's gait when they try on new shoes. Maybe you have a store like that where you could glean some insight.
    Good luck
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    If it takes you 2 days to recover from all your runs then you might be running too hard all the time. The only runs that should take that long to recover from are long runs over 2 hours and specific speed sessions to work on Lactate Threshold or speed. (Even those shouldn't be leaving you in physical pain). It's also possible you are running too often for your current fitness level and need more rest.

Things that might help:
    Get your form right. Google "Good Form Running".
    Run easy most of the time, < 80% max heartrate. You need to train there to maximize aerobic development.
    You might need to do some strength training to strengthen weak muscles, Particularly the lower back.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Shoes, shoes, shoes. If you haven't been fitted, get fitted. If you haven't replaced them after 300-400 miles, try that.

Take the money you spend on joint/flex supps and buy a muscle roller - they work wonders for nagging pains that stretching seems to miss (in my experience). Or use a rolling pin.

And buy some Aleve.

If it's really bad, of course see a doctor.
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    let's see,

- proper shoes (fitted)
    - enough water
    - enough food
    - slower pace
    - shorter steps
    - core strength
    - rest until all twinges are gone before taking your training back up.

that's all i can think of right now...
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    let's see,

- proper shoes (fitted)
    - enough water
    - enough food
    - slower pace
    - shorter steps
    - core strength

All good points. I'd add strength training and I personally ditch the shoes. I have feet that cannot be fitted properly except by Vibrams and I prefer to go barefoot.
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    I would start with the shoes. A good running store will look at your arches and do a gait analysis to see the way you run. Different brands are good for different types of feet. I would start here and see if your current brand shows up.

http://www.runnersworld.com/shoeadvisor

Be aware, shoes absolutely wear our way too fast. Every time I start having pain, it's the mileage up over 300. They still look new, but I don't feel good.

I have had lots of soft tissue problems, I recommend lots of water, and then some. Try 10-12 cups a day. If you are having muscle cramps, add in bananas.

Most of your runs should be of the easy variety. There is a difference between running 5k 6 times a week (32 or so miles), and running 3 easy 10-milers. The distance puts on a different type of stress. I do 3-5-4-8-R-Long-3. The first 3 is harder then all the rest. the 4 is hills and a tough one too. All the others are easy.

Good luck. I am lot older than you are.

(I guess I am assuming that you know about good form and strength.)
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    another vote for incorporating strength training..weak quads and glutes gave me all kinds of pain and niggling injuries.

I'm guessing you have the right type of shoes...and also, stretch,stretch and stretch after each and every run..make stretching an extension or a part of your run....it isn't complete until the stretch is done!
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    The 1st things that come to mind are running too hard & bad form. Shoes in 3rd.
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    All good points. I'd add strength training and I personally ditch the shoes. I have feet that cannot be fitted properly except by Vibrams and I prefer to go barefoot.
    Just transitioning to vibrams here. Whilst upping my mileage (in 'normal' shoes) training for a half. Yeah, well, aches doesn't even begin to describe it ;-), so I left that suggestion out. Everything takes time, and overdoing things will hurt...
  • Timmmy40
    Timmmy40 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    bump
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    let's see,

- proper shoes (fitted)
    - enough water
    - enough food
    - slower pace
    - shorter steps
    - core strength

^^^This (for the most part)

I'd also like a definition of "stretching". Static stretching before running can cause some of the pains that you describe. Not saying that's the issue.....something to look at.

Should always be dynamic stretching.
  • JenNicole11
    JenNicole11 Posts: 1,834 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the responses! I am actually STILL having the same knee pain that started when I first posted this. The only way I know how to describe it is by saying that I feel like I have no control over it... like it will hyperextend at any time. Going up and down stairs is difficult. I tried running again outside on Sunday, was considerably slower than my usual training pace and only got a mile in before i hobbled home. Tried running on the treadmill yesterday, again with pain... so I stuck to fast pace walking on an incline which did not bother it too bad. I do believe it could be my shoes that causes the pain, injuries, etc. that I've been experiencing. I was not fitted for them when I bought them, and since I am considered flat footed, I think this is a place to start. I do not plan on running at all until my knee feels back to normal.. which is hopefully soon because I feel like I just now becoming comfortable with my longer runs... :( Obviously if it doesn't get better I will go see a doctor, but for now I will wait it out a bit.