30 days of juicing

Options
What the title says . Is it healthy guys ? drinking just juices . Healthy homemade juices but without any food .I've read alot of people lose their weight pretty fast with this and i know that it's actually detox for your body and letting it 'reset' .But what happens when the 30 days is over and you start eating regularly ? Will your weight like increase dramatically or will it depends on your food portions ?

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Stay close to a restroom.
  • fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    sylitz wrote: »
    What the title says . Is it healthy guys ? drinking just juices . Healthy homemade juices but without any food .I've read alot of people lose their weight pretty fast with this and i know that it's actually detox for your body and letting it 'reset' .But what happens when the 30 days is over and you start eating regularly ? Will your weight like increase dramatically or will it depends on your food portions ?

You do know the stuff you make the juices from is food right? So whether you drink it or eat it there's no difference apart from you'll be losing the fibre.
  • sylitz
    sylitz Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I guess someone watched Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead.

As someone said, going that long without fat and protein would be my biggest worry.

I actually did and it lead me to another video of a lady losing 15 pounds in 30 days ..and that got me thinking ..

But then again like all of you said,it'll do me more bad than good ..
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    No, it's not healthy...proper diet requires protein and dietary fat. Just eat a well rounded, nutritious diet.
  • roamingtiger
    roamingtiger Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    Don't waste your time. Also, losing weight fast hardly ever stays off.
  • courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    No.
    Just no.

Home made juices are healthy for vitamins and antioxidants but it is NOT healthy to ONLY consume juice for an extended period of time.

Your body needs a balance of protein, carbs, and fat, as well as micronutrients, fiber and water to function properly. Juice only has water carbs and some micronutrients- but it is missing protein, fat, fiber, and certain vitamins, minerals, and micronutrients that you still need.

Juice "cleanses" do not really detox you. Drinking water and your body's normal liver and kidney function detoxifies you. And sleep.

Juice cleanses make you lose weight quickly because you are in a caloric deficit and also kind of empties out your intestines. So you lose some fat but you also lose the weight of food in your digestive tract and you also lose a lot of muscle from being in a calorie deficit while not consuming any protein... THIS IS VERY UNHEALTHY. Losing lean mass/muscle is a bad thing!! Both for health and YOUR metabolism and for your physique... just all around this is the WRONG way to lose weight. You also lose some water weight by not consuming much sodium but this is temporary.

Do not do this.

If you want to lose weight properly and prioritize body fat loss and not muscle loss just eat in a mild calorie deficit deficit and get adequate protein. Eat real foods. Nutritious foods. Technically you can eat whatever you want as long as you are consuming fewer calories than you burn you will lose weight- but you'll feel better if you eat healthy foods.

But if you do this juice fast cleanse thing you will just lose a bunch of water weight and muscle oh and also your metabolism will crash because your body will think you're starving and slow your metabolism to try to keep you alive so you'll feel crappy the entire time and then when you start to eat normally again you will gain weight back very quickly and it will probably be mostly fat and you'll probably gain as much or more than you initially lost and now you will have a higher body fat percentage and less lean mass... so basically the end result will be that you screw with your body for a month only to end up fatter and less healthy than before.

So yeah... NO
  • courtneyfabulous
    Options
    I guess someone watched Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead.

As someone said, going that long without fat and protein would be my biggest worry.

I actually did and it lead me to another video of a lady losing 15 pounds in 30 days ..and that got me thinking ..

But then again like all of you said,it'll do me more bad than good ..

You know the fat sick and nearly dead guy gained all that weight back right? Because he lost the weight the wrong way. He is literally back to the same now as before he did that- I'll try to find the article for you.
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options

There are 3500 calories in a pound of fat. So 15 pounds of fat is 52,500 calories; divided by the 30 days, that's a 1750 calorie deficit per day. Assuming it was all fat lost (most likely it wasn't), ask yourself -- how can a 1750 calorie deficit per day be healthy?
  • courtneyfabulous
    Options
    Well turns out he managed to keep the weight off for 3 years but then gained again and went back up to 400 pounds. But looks like they are doing a second documentary now to help him lose the weight again?

Anyways you know the deal now- just eat a healthy diet and in a mild calorie deficit and you'll lose weight slowly & properly. There are no quick fixes, no magic pills.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    Please reconsider. Juicing exclusively is NOT a healthy way to lose weight, and unless you plan to juice for the rest of your (shortened) life, the weight will come back once to start eating food again.

Take the time to learn how to manage real food in real life. It is a bit of a learning curve, but one that will actually give you the tools you need to reduce weight in a safe and healthy manner *and* keep it off for good. :)
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Juice is not healthy... all the sugar without the fiber. Whole fruits & vegetables are much healthier, but if fruit and vegetables are all you eat for a month, that's also unhealthy.

Here are macronutrient MINIMUMS generally recommended daily:
    • Protein: 0.6-0.8g per pound bodyweight (varies depending on goal and body fat%, but this is adequate to start)
    • Fat: 0.35g per pound bodyweight
    • Carbs: 50g
    • Fiber (type of carb): 25g for women

The healthy way to lose weight is to eat AT LEAST your nutrients minimums while staying under (but not too much under) your calorie maximum. A little juice is ok if you really love it and can work it in your macro minimums & calorie maximum. I personally prefer to eat fruits and vegetables. Keeps me more full.

The "most helpful posts" thread really is helpful. Good info for setting up a sustainable plan for success. Good luck.

• VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Well turns out he managed to keep the weight off for 3 years but then gained again and went back up to 400 pounds. But looks like they are doing a second documentary now to help him lose the weight again?

Anyways you know the deal now- just eat a healthy diet and in a mild calorie deficit and you'll lose weight slowly & properly. There are no quick fixes, no magic pills.

I think you're thinking of the wrong guy. The "host" of the documentary sustained most of his weight loss and was never 400lbs to start with. There was a guy in it who he met in the course of filming who was 400lbs and he did yoyo.

And I think the follow up documentary has already been released, I feel like I've watched that too.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options

I think you're thinking of the wrong guy. The "host" of the documentary sustained most of his weight loss and was never 400lbs to start with. There was a guy in it who he met in the course of filming who was 400lbs and he did yoyo.

And I think the follow up documentary has already been released, I feel like I've watched that too.

Probably an hour of your life you'll never get back. ;)