Overnight oats?

Options
I noticed on the 'What did you have for breakfast' thread that many of you mentioned overnight oats. What are some of your favorite recipes, and what kind of container do you use?

Replies

• jopalis
    jopalis Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I could not get into that. Tastes like raw oats to me. My "go to" breakfast is 1/4 c Old Fashioned Oats with 1 tsp chia seed and usually an egg. The oats being a slow carb and the chia that swells up results in keeping me full for a good amount of time.
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    Options
    I've tried it a few times with different ingredients. Oats, nuts, chia seeds with almond milk and bananas. Oats, berries, coconut milk. I usually add a layer of yogurt for a little sweetness and don't add any additional sugar or sweetener. I make them in pint sized mason jars.

Frankly, I agree with @jopalis. I'm not a big fan but it's come in handy if we're planning to travel and I need a portable breakfast. As an alternative, I make a layered breakfast with fruit, granola (homemade) and yogurt. I prefer the texture of the cooked oats to the overnight raw oats. I also do steel cut oats in the crockpot overnight and then put them in individual containers with fruit and yogurt. Just some extra oat-y ideas for you!
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    MyWeigh58 wrote: »
    I noticed on the 'What did you have for breakfast' thread that many of you mentioned overnight oats. What are some of your favorite recipes, and what kind of container do you use?

I use small mason jars with plastic tops. I usually use plain Greek yogurt with splashes of almond milk if necessary to loosen it up, oats, frozen blueberries, and a few chocolate chips. I don't usually have chia seeds handy, but I'll add some if I have them. If you do, you need more liquid. I like using frozen fruit because as it thaws it releases juice that flavors everything.
  • JillyBeans02201
    JillyBeans02201 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I do mine with Fage plain Greek yogurt - mix in 1/2 cup of oats. I like to add in a little unsweetened apple sauce and cinnamon too. You can add fresh fruit in the morning and off you go. I like it in the summer because it's cold and refreshing. I don't do it as much in the cold weather. But it's a handy way to have breakfast ready to go! I use glass containers with lids.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    The best for me is just to mix some flavored Greek yogurt cup with 30g of oats or something.

Still can't really get into it. I've tried so many of the recipes you can find online only to be disappointed in the end (brownie batter my *kitten*).

Plain Greek yogurt makes them way too sour for me as well.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    My standard recipe:

40 g oats
    30 g vanilla protein powder
    140 g fruit (usually berries or a chopped up peach)
    6 oz. milk

Sometimes I will add sliced almonds.

I use 2 cup Ball jars like the one on the left below.

• 85Cardinals
    85Cardinals Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Morning oats I can handle. Overnight oats not so much. Just not feeling those oats.
  • jemhh
    Options
  • VixxyLiss
    VixxyLiss Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I'm not that good at measuring as it tends to be what I have handy so I just keep a note when I make them and add as I go but I use:

Fage plain yogurt (blue label so its full fat)
    a little milk to loosen it up
    whole rolled oats
    Meridian crunchy nut butter

Mix the above together, then layer into little jars with sprinkles of chia seeds and 4 frozen black cherries, I make 2 pots at a time for 2 days worth of breakfast, but have it as a treat rather than everyday because of the fruit as I only have fruit 2 or 3 times a week.
  • conquertheself
    conquertheself Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I just had overnight oats yesterday. I often use natural peanutbutter jar because it is quickly consumed in my family and it's the natural kind. When it's practically done I would put in 1/2 cup of oats with 1 cup almond milk and mix it. The next day I add honey with it and I eat it while scraping the PB around the jar. Also, it's super good with nutella jars or if you add in chocolate chips as well. I like to add in almonds sometimes or other types of nuts. It's really up to you :)
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    The first time I tried overnight oats was Friday morning. I had 8 oz of my homemade kefir, 1/4 cup of oats, 61g blueberries, 1 tbsp chia seeds and 54 g chopped walnuts. I described it as "unpleasant glop". I added 1 tbsp PB2 and did not change my evaluation of it. Never again with that combination.
  • jemhh
    Options
    The first time I tried overnight oats was Friday morning. I had 8 oz of my homemade kefir, 1/4 cup of oats, 61g blueberries, 1 tbsp chia seeds and 54 g chopped walnuts. I described it as "unpleasant glop". I added 1 tbsp PB2 and did not change my evaluation of it. Never again with that combination.

I'd have to say that your combo does not sound appetizing in the least. It also sounds less like overnight oats and more like kefir and berries with a few oats thrown in.
  • ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken
    ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken Posts: 1,530 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    They are a slimy, disgusting mess. No thanks. You can get a much better results from leaving the oats soaking just half an hour. No special container is necessary. A bowl with a lid is fine.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    i like oatmeal, especially totally plain with chunks of a fresh orange mixed in. that was the only thing that held me steady during the starving-zombie phases of pregnancy.

but it has to be cooked in an actual pot on an actual stove, or it's not for me. microwave oatmeal is bad enough but 'overnight' sounds pretty appalling to me.
  • roamingtiger
    roamingtiger Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    I like adding almond milk, peanut butter, chia seeds, and a tad maple syrup. I put banana on top when I'm ready to eat it.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    To be fair, if your overnight oats turn out slimy, appalling, or glop, you're doing it wrong. It's one thing if the combo of yogurt and oats isn't your thing, but if what you ended up with is "a mess", then you didn't have your ratios correct. The first time I tried this, I decided to wing it and ended up having to toss it. Just like cooking, you have to start out following a recipe and once you get familiar with the process you can get creative without making something awful :)
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Chiming back in on the overnight oats thread with an easy idea. I make regular oatmeal almost every morning and it's so darn quick and easy.

I mix old-fashioned oats with the quick oats in a container and add a bunch of craisins and shredded coconut. I keep that on hand as my oatmeal mix. Most mornings I'll take 1/2 cup of that mixture, put it in a bowl with some fruit and pour boiling water just to cover. Put a plate on top and let it steam for about 5 minutes while I go do something else like put on make-up or get dressed. Come back, add some yogurt on top. Done!
  • ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken
    ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken Posts: 1,530 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    To be fair, if your overnight oats turn out slimy, appalling, or glop, you're doing it wrong. It's one thing if the combo of yogurt and oats isn't your thing, but if what you ended up with is "a mess", then you didn't have your ratios correct. The first time I tried this, I decided to wing it and ended up having to toss it. Just like cooking, you have to start out following a recipe and once you get familiar with the process you can get creative without making something awful :)

RIIIIIGHT. Because if someone doesn't like it "surely" they "MUST" be doing it "ALL WRONG". Did it ever occur to you that this isn't rocket science? The overnight oats are just not appealing to everyone. And that doesn't mean we are "doing it wrong" or are not "familiar with" the highly complicated process of placing oats, milk, and what ever desired ingredients, into a container and into the fridge from bed time to breakfast. Not everyone who has tried it likes it. Don't let it keep you up at night! :)
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I'm okay with them, they just don't puff up as much and aren't as creamy as cooked oats so they don't feel like I get the same bang for the calories as cooked oats.
  • jemhh
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »

RIIIIIGHT. Because if someone doesn't like it "surely" they "MUST" be doing it "ALL WRONG". Did it ever occur to you that this isn't rocket science? The overnight oats are just not appealing to everyone. And that doesn't mean we are "doing it wrong" or are not "familiar with" the highly complicated process of placing oats, milk, and what ever desired ingredients, into a container and into the fridge from bed time to breakfast. Not everyone who has tried it likes it. Don't let it keep you up at night! :)

I see what you are saying but tend to agree that if your overnight oats are literally slimy and that's not just an adjective that you randomly picked to describe them, you are doing something wrong (maybe using quick oats?) Overnight oats have generally soaked just long enough to soften the oats, not to break them down enough to be slimy.