When's the last time you ran a full sprint?

Options

Replies

• AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    My Zombies, Run! app has me in a flat our sprint sometimes. I mean I always have to run faster when the, "Warning, zombies detected" and the beeping radar thing starts, but every so often I get chases back-to-back, or just really have to pour it on if they are coming up fast - nothing like the sound of a zom in your headphones to make you run flat out! LOL
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    Every time I cross the street. Not only does Nevada has incredibly wide streets, most drivers think the crosswalks are for target practice.
  • Vladimirnapkin
    Vladimirnapkin Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    dewd2 wrote: »
    Wednesday during my weekly speed workout. I don't often sprint full out but this week we were playing games.

There's nothing to be afraid of if you are in decent shape. I've pushed it as far as my body will go at the end of a few 5 and 10k races (when there's money involved B) ). And I do a test every year to see what my current max heart rate is.

Same thing for me! Mostly at the end of races. There's nothing worse than being out kicked!

At workouts, I'm less likely to do a pure sprint, since I'm racing 5k and up. I'm an older runner, and if I start banging out fast 200s or similar, I'll tear a hamstring!
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    I did it on a treadmill about 4 months ago. I do it like once per year.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    I joined the herbal life boot camp last year. I really enjoyed the sessions in the park. They made us form teams and we would sprint. I surprised myself as it would have been secondary school I would have sprinted last. I didn't go this year as only so many times you can dodge buying their magical shakes. I have a few times this year done some sprint jog intervals in the park. too scared to try it on the treadmill.
  • Kristi26
    Kristi26 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    A couple of weeks ago. My middle son (13) wanted to sprint so we did. Weird feeling for sure!
  • feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    A few days ago. I go running twice a week, for 30 minutes, and my usual route is looping through a park. There's a nice flat stretch of grass (about 50 yards) I'll sprint back and forth on a few times during the run, as well as a big staircase that I'll take as fast as I can.

It's exhilarating! And a useful skill in case you need to catch something, or avoid being caught.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    This morning, at the end of my run. Just because of this thread. I've never sprinted in my life.

It felt great!
  • marm1962
    marm1962 Posts: 950 Member
    Options
  • deluxmary2000
    deluxmary2000 Posts: 981 Member
    Options
    Probably a couple weeks ago when my 2-year old wandered away from me in the front yard and got a little too close to the street for my liking :D
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    I run fast sometimes (fast for me - it feels light and smooth and fast, but still barely controlled) but never all-out.

So the last time i sprinted was when i had to run to get away from danger, I don't do it as exercise.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Do short sprints playing soccer count? If yes, a couple of years ago (I hung up my cleats in 2014).

Track sprints? Not in this millennium....... I should be doing speed work though.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    those that sprint at the end of a distance race isn't quite the same thing, as your body cannot be pushed as hard as the OP is talking about. a 50m sprint at the end of a 5K will be much slower than a 50m sprint fresh off of a warm up.
  • Savyna
    Savyna Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    About a few weeks ago when a wild raccoon started easing his way out from behind a dumpster and I didn't want to meet him that night.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Last year, officiating (American) football.
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    Options
    everyday kids are 10 and 12
  • texasleahgirl
    texasleahgirl Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I sprint about 8x daily during my walk, but only short sprints of about 60-70 feet up a hill. The hill is significant (22 ft rise) and for some reason I feel more at ease sprinting up the hill than on flat ground.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    erickirb wrote: »
    those that sprint at the end of a distance race isn't quite the same thing, as your body cannot be pushed as hard as the OP is talking about. a 50m sprint at the end of a 5K will be much slower than a 50m sprint fresh off of a warm up.
    Um........I've got a pretty good kick. Always have. Lately I've been doing a track workout where I run the almost distance of a 5k in different intervals (1 mile, 3/4 mile, 1/2 mile, 1/4 mile), then I do 4-6 200m sprints.
    It is a routine type of workout for serious athletes who run 800m - 1500m.
    Are they as fast as my 200m's might be if I was fresh? Probably not. But they are all out.
    I think a sprint at the end of a run counts.
    I love sprinting.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Options
    erickirb wrote: »

Maybe if I am bored sometime I will look for research on this but it seems "to me" that I am just as fast after running several miles. The difference is the distance I can hold the speed. If I kick it too soon I slow dramatically at the end (much sooner than if I was rested).

Again, this is my perception and if anyone has actual research on this please share.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I do it occasionally when I'm cutting- so during the spring months.