What fitness equipment would you suggest investing in?

Options

Replies

• rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    renae161 wrote: »
    rileyes wrote: »
    Okay these are the things I currently have on my list of things to get: a lightweight treadmill that is foldable (It gets hot here too. We just dropped from triple digits this month), stationary pedals for when I'm at my desk, a basic kettle bell and dumbbell set, jump rope, a new yoga mat (mine is worn down now), and I was about to add a recumbent bike too.

I don't think I will ever dead lift tbh.

Don't buy a treadmill if your main concern is lightweight and storage. Be deliberate. Make a commitment. Choose a tool that helps you train best. Center it in your room. There are so many machines out there with horrible range of motion that will just have you using them as a clothes rack.

And maybe opt to stand while working instead of pedaling.

There are lots of variations to the deadlift. Never say never.

https://www.amazon.com/Goplus-Electric-Treadmill-Folding-Motorized/dp/B017SS2A3G

This was the one I was going to buy as it doesnt take up much space. I don't like going too late at night on the trail cause there aren't as many lights out there as I think there should be and Summer days are just out of the question.

I already stand when I'm doing my work sometimes. I purchased one of those adjustable table desks, but I'm not going to stand the whole time and would like to pedal during the times I'm sitting so I'm still engaging in some bit of exercises that involves my calves being worked out.

I really just want to know what would be a wise investment and see what other's have in their in home gyms that way I can see if I actually will use what they have or not.

Read the 1-star ratings on that treadmill. I would not buy it. No. Matter. What.

I have seen people mention Leslie Sansone (sp?) indoor walking programs. Also take a look at Fitness Blender and Pop Sugar for intervals/endurance training (10 to 15-minute routines).

There are a couple books like New Rules of Lifting and Strong Curves that illustrate training programs/equipment as well as nutrition advice. These types of books may help with your decision-making. Flip through them at the bookstore. Buy one. Then buy the other. It will beat any treadmill purchase IMO.

• Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Nice article by Dean Somerset, a well know fitness expert on the things he did and didn't put in his home gym.

http://deansomerset.com/building-the-basement-of-champions-how-to-build-a-legendary-home-gym/

Much more elaborate than most people would have but a good discussion of what to include or not and why
  • betterwhenimdancin
    betterwhenimdancin Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Whatever you decide to get, buy it secondhand! There's lots of used equipment for sale online at a fraction of the price. We bought a treadclimber for five hundred that was originally three thousand.
  • renae161
    renae161 Posts: 334 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    jmh561 wrote: »
    Whatever you decide to get, buy it secondhand! There's lots of used equipment for sale online at a fraction of the price. We bought a treadclimber for five hundred that was originally three thousand.

I was planning on buying any bigger equipment I would get second hand, but I won't buy a yoga mat second hand. Too many germs even with sanitation. But, thank you for suggesting it to me!
  • Mandygring
    Mandygring Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I'm a big fan of my yoga ball and my hand weights when I'm home.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,508 Member
    Options
    We have a pull up bar from Rogue Fitness. It's great.

Also.... a couple of benches. Plates & dumbells.... plus a treadmill made by True.

A bunch of bikes and a concept two rower.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Motorsheen wrote: »
    We have a pull up bar from Rogue Fitness. It's great.

Also.... a couple of benches. Plates & dumbells.... plus a treadmill made by True.

A bunch of bikes and a concept two rower.

If I was going to invest in cardio equipment for home, a Concept Two rower would be at the top of my list. Great full body workout and the Concept Two is smoother than any other rower I've ever tried. In the past I've owned a recumbent bike, a club-quality treadmill, a cheap hydraulic rower and a wind trainer for my bicycle - I'd buy a Concept Two before I'd ever buy another of any of those.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,215 Member
    Options
    What fitness equipment would you see fit as a good investment? I

A bicycle. Or, in fact, several.

Plus a trainer ... a device onto which you can put a bicycle so as to cycle indoors during bad weather. And a TV.

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Otherwise I primarily cycle and prefer to be outdoors...when I need to be indoors I have a trainer I can hook my bike up to...

Does it keep track of your resistance and how fast you go and tell you how many calories you burned?

This is what I have...

kurt-kinetic-trainers-road-machine-2.0-trainer-198932-13.jpg

It is a fluid trainer so resistance increases the faster I go...the faster I go, the harder it is. It doesn't tell me how fast I go or calories burned...I've been cycling for a long time so I have a pretty good feel for my speed and where I am effort wise...I haven't really concerned myself with the energy expenditure in quite some time, I just train and focus on the training plan for the day...sometimes my rides are longer and sometimes they are higher intensity interval type stuff.

Kinetic does make an app that comes with a Bluetooth connection that will basically turn your phone into a bike computer...I've thought about getting it, but it's pretty expensive and I'm not sure how much value I'd get out of it.

There are interactive videos available that basically lead you on a ride as well as YouTube videos...they make indoor training a little less boring.
  • renae161
    Options
    Otherwise I primarily cycle and prefer to be outdoors...when I need to be indoors I have a trainer I can hook my bike up to...

Does it keep track of your resistance and how fast you go and tell you how many calories you burned?

This is what I have...

kurt-kinetic-trainers-road-machine-2.0-trainer-198932-13.jpg

It is a fluid trainer so resistance increases the faster I go...the faster I go, the harder it is. It doesn't tell me how fast I go or calories burned...I've been cycling for a long time so I have a pretty good feel for my speed and where I am effort wise...I haven't really concerned myself with the energy expenditure in quite some time, I just train and focus on the training plan for the day...sometimes my rides are longer and sometimes they are higher intensity interval type stuff.

Kinetic does make an app that comes with a Bluetooth connection that will basically turn your phone into a bike computer...I've thought about getting it, but it's pretty expensive and I'm not sure how much value I'd get out of it.

There are interactive videos available that basically lead you on a ride as well as YouTube videos...they make indoor training a little less boring.

Ive seen one of these on amazon. It was on my recommended list when I logged in, but I'm worried it will push my limits with my knee. My knee has gotten stronger to take on more than it did since the time of my injury, but I don't want to push it too much.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Burner fins , hand pads, pull buoy, goggles.
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    If you have the space, this:
    Sumiblue wrote: »
    Power cage, bench, free weights
    I also have a mini trampoline for when it is absolutely too miserable to go outside. They take up way less space than a treadmill, are cheap, and more fun.

• MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    I have this treadmill and it's awesome. Super solid. http://www.fitnessdistributors.com/pacemaster-pro-plus-ii
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    A power rack and a little bench you can fit into it. All ya need

Depending on health and body limitations...
  • gatamadriz
    gatamadriz Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I have a yoga mat, a number of different hand weight and 3 resistance bands. You can look on youtube for videos which give you nice full body workouts. You can also find dvds either online or look in thrift shops. I like the Jane Fonda series, Crunch, and there are a number on youtube videos I follow. All of these can be put in a closet or cabinet. I looked at the TRX things but I don't have a door that opens into a wide space and there was some other issue so look before you buy.
  • renae161
    Options
    gatamadriz wrote: »
    I have a yoga mat, a number of different hand weight and 3 resistance bands. You can look on youtube for videos which give you nice full body workouts. You can also find dvds either online or look in thrift shops. I like the Jane Fonda series, Crunch, and there are a number on youtube videos I follow. All of these can be put in a closet or cabinet. I looked at the TRX things but I don't have a door that opens into a wide space and there was some other issue so look before you buy.

Are those those pull up door bars?
  • gatamadriz
    gatamadriz Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    No. This is what I was talking about:

https://www.trxtraining.com/products/trx-home-gym

• canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    this evening at the rec centre, the attendant had these little gaiter thingies with strong hooks on them that he put on over his shoes.

then he put the bar on the smith up as high as it goes, hooked his feet onto it and just hung upside down for five or ten minutes. those gaiter thingies are something i want. of course i'll have to be able to do toes-to-bar first.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options

kurt-kinetic-trainer-3.jpg

Aero wheels on a trainer...! :)

My answer is a power meter.