Weight stupid question time

Options
Stupid question, I'm good at those.

I use the scales at work (I work in a medical practice and we have the basic doctor office scales) I weigh with my scrubs, socks, shoes, compression sleeves, undies on. (Because nudity is frowned upon at work lol )

Boyfriend just bought a scale. I weighed completely nude, and it's about 6.3 lbs lighter.

Should I continue to use the work scale, or just realize I've lost more than I thought, and use the scale at home? Lol.

Replies

• Longevity100
    Longevity100 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Like the other posters said, pick the scale that's most convenient to use. You may also want to experiment with taking regular progress pictures as an assessment tool as well.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    Yeah use the same scale and at the same point in your routine each time. I hate getting weighed at the doc's because I'm always heavier after coffee and a meal or two than when I weigh in the morning.
  • ronjsteele1
    ronjsteele1 Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    Every doctor's scale I've ever weighed on I've always weighed 7#'s heavier then my home scale. I know they calibrate those scales but I don't trust them. Like everyone said, pick a scale and stick with it.
  • MiMi_5151
    MiMi_5151 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    You can't really compare the results of two different scales, but can only follow trends. BTW, with my scrubs, shoes, etc on, I weigh about 3.5 lbs more than when not wearing anything.
  • hollyrayburn
    hollyrayburn Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    Ueaj, I'm going with the home scale where it's first thing in am, after I pee, and butt *kitten* naked. Lol.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Pick one

Check home scale with a known weight like a dumbbell if you have one ...Mine weighs 0.4lbs over ..some days that can matter

Also always weight under same conditions ..first thing in morning, after bathroom, before anything else and nekkid is best
  • savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Doctors office scales with the balance weights are almost always going to be much more accurate than home-quality scales, in terms of accurately capturing changes in weight. The home scale might be digital and give more decimal places, but to turn them out cheap and fast in overseas factories they don't have the setup to be as accurate or maintain that accuracy. If you've got a record and weight loss history on the old scale I'd keep using it. Just make sure you're always wearing about the same thing (especially shoes.
  • hollyrayburn
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    If the job will likely outlast the boyfriend, use the scale at work. If the boyfriend will likely outlast the job, use the boyfriend's. If both are short term, buy your own.

Lol, they're both permanent. Job 12 years, boyfriend 5 ;)
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    If the job will likely outlast the boyfriend, use the scale at work. If the boyfriend will likely outlast the job, use the boyfriend's. If both are short term, buy your own.

Lol, they're both permanent. Job 12 years, boyfriend 5 ;)

:smiley:

Then I would probably go with the work scale if I had that option. No real strong reason for it, I just would.
  • hollyrayburn
    Options
    I think one thing I may do, is weigh on both, the same days, and see if the trends are smililar. I'd love to see if one goes up, and one goes down
  • foxandflora
    foxandflora Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I think one thing I may do, is weigh on both, the same days, and see if the trends are smililar. I'd love to see if one goes up, and one goes down

This really isn't necessary to do unless you are interested in the mechanics of scales and the weight of your work clothing. Or if you're having fun with it. (I am a big advocate of not weighing yourself too much because I've driven myself SICK over things like different scales, clothes on/off, did I just poop- how much did I lose since pooping, etc.) If you're generally mentally healthy and not getting obsessive, then it could be a fun experiment!

Ultimately, for tracking your loss, pick one scale- weigh at the same time, same day each week (if you weigh weekly) I weigh myself at home, nude when I first wake up. I do this daily... which you shouldn't do but ideally, I'd do this once a week. That way, I see the change over time on the scale that is calibrated in the same way.
  • hollyrayburn
    Options

This really isn't necessary to do unless you are interested in the mechanics of scales and the weight of your work clothing. Or if you're having fun with it. (I am a big advocate of not weighing yourself too much because I've driven myself SICK over things like different scales, clothes on/off, did I just poop- how much did I lose since pooping, etc.) If you're generally mentally healthy and not getting obsessive, then it could be a fun experiment!

Ultimately, for tracking your loss, pick one scale- weigh at the same time, same day each week (if you weigh weekly) I weigh myself at home, nude when I first wake up. I do this daily... which you shouldn't do but ideally, I'd do this once a week. That way, I see the change over time on the scale that is calibrated in the same way.

Not ocd, and I only way 1-2 times per week. It's just for fun and to see the variations :)
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every morning, after peeing and before eating or drinking anything. I then use TrendWeight.com to plot an exponentially smoothed moving average weight, so I can identify trends underneath the regular day-to-day fluctuation. (Actually, I have a Withings WiFi scale that automatically uploads the data to the Withings website, and TrendWeight fetches it from there. But I also have a spreadsheet that I maintain.)

I sometimes weigh myself at other points in the day. After a long run or bike ride, for instance, I like to see how much water weight I've lost, especially in the summer, so I can rehydrate adequately.